Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
Why would you bring back a two year old post just to bash the city. I predict that the 2010 census will show that the population of the city and region will have stabilized.
Word on the street has it that The city population of Buffalo has stopped declining, and is enjoying a small, but steady, population increase in the urban core.

This being said, I do agree that the 2010 Census will indeed show the Buffalo population at a fairly steady number - similar to the 2000 Census, perhaps a few more!?

BTW, the city population in the city of Buffalo during the 2000 Census, was in fact 292,000. Just for the records. Look it up for the exact number- including all the homeless, this population would be 300,000+ !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Word on the street has it that The city population of Buffalo has stopped declining, and is enjoying a small, but steady, population increase in the urban core.

This being said, I do agree that the 2010 Census will indeed show the Buffalo population at a fairly steady number - similar to the 2000 Census, perhaps a few more!?

BTW, the city population in the city of Buffalo during the 2000 Census, was in fact 292,000. Just for the records. Look it up for the exact number- including all the homeless, this population would be 300,000+ !!!
The population is much less than your figures and even if you count the homeless--what good does that do. The city of Buffalo does not need quantity, it needs a quality population. It needs the new creative class that will encourage investments; create a vibrant city; built businesses and work cooperatively with all ethnic groups. Unfortunately, many of those people are leaving Buffalo, and more creative people are less inclined to move to a dying city; creativity attracts creativity.

It is very sad and needs to be changed, for these decaying cities are important to the whole country and should not be ignored. Maybe some of that wealth that is sucked up by New York City will go to the other parts of the state--but that is a dream because the State of New York never had a concern for the welfare of the whole state.

Perhaps we should put a cap on the population of Downstate and tax heavily any population increase in these areas; and at the same time reduce and elimanate taxes for movement to the rest of the state and huge incentives for businesses to move out of downstate to the decayed cities of upstate.

Livecontent

Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM

147 posts, read 535,245 times
I came here to get a Masters degree and now that I have it, I have to leave in order to use it.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
FWIW, you all might realize that lots of the info on the parent site of this forum has drastic errors -- a classic is Lancaster having somewhere near 10-11,00 people.... they forgot to add the town to the village ( it truly has 40,000). I have noticed this on several towns: village population is reported and town is not added.

Buffalo is down at this time. Burbs are up.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 10-04-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
I am hoping that all those people leaving are the ones that hate Buffalo. I think there is alot more people moving back to Buffalo then most think, when I was looking for a house I lost a couple because other people offered the sellers more. I am glad they did too because I love my new house on Parkside. I like Buffalo the size it is, we get much bigger and it will be alot like NYC (nice to visit but would never want to live there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area