Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM

134 posts, read 276,257 times

Advertisements

I'm coming from NYC to visit the medical centers in downtown (?). I'm debating on three options for transportation: Megabus, Amtrack, plane. From your experience, which would you advise?

Plane is the quickest but most expensive. It's also the furthest from Medical Park so I'm not sure how much taxi fare is. Amtrack and bus are 6+ hours but I don't know how tolerable the seats are for a lengthy ride.

I think I have a hotel picked based on proximity of my destination.

Anything I should do while I'm there? I won't have a car so I suppose I'm limited to walking distance.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM

252 posts, read 650,069 times
My recommendation would be to take the train. The seats are quite comfortable. They recline and have lots of leg room (more than a first class airplane seat). And of course, you can get up and take a walk around any time you like, go sit at a table in the cafe and have a coffee, etc. Every seat has a power outlet, so you can bring a laptop (the trains have recently installed Wi-Fi, but I hear it is somewhat flaky). The view along the Hudson River is really beautiful.

If you take the "Maple Leaf" train, it will have slightly more comfortable and roomier seats than the "Empire Service" trains (but they are both perfectly acceptable if the timing works out better for one of the Empire Service trains).

You can take the train to the Buffalo Exchange Street station downtown (station code BFX). Then it is a very quick walk (about a block) to the light rail station, which you can take outbound to the Allen Street / Medical Campus station which is within walking distances of all of the medical buildings. Bring $2 cash for the light rail ticket, or $5 for an all-day pass (they don't take credit cards).

In terms of things to do, what are you interested in? There are lots of bars and restaurants in the Allentown along Allen Street. There is a movie theater downtown (take the light rail to the Fountain Plaza station and then walk back north to the Market Arcade Film & Arts Center) that plays a mix of mainstream Hollywood films and independent art films. Buffalo Tours (search for their website) does a lot of walking tours of the local architecture and history. There is the Theodore Roosevelt museum at the house where he was inaugurated on Delaware Avenue near North Street. You can go to the restaurant where Buffalo-style chicken wings were invented at the Anchor Bar on Main Street and North Street (though most people agree that there are better wings in town).

Have a great trip, and enjoy your visit here!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Thanks! I didn't even think about the buffalo wings. Could you shed some light as to where are better?

What about strippers and hookers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM

341 posts, read 684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post
Thanks! I didn't even think about the buffalo wings. Could you shed some light as to where are better?
There's several. Pretty much any of the local pizza places have great wings. I would, however, avoid Anchor Bar. I don't really like their wings.

Quote:
What about strippers and hookers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Strippers? They're mostly in Cheektowaga (Pharoah's, and Tiffany's). There is one in Tonawanda, and another in Lackawanna. In Buffalo, you have Colony Lounge, but I would not recommend it.

Hookers? No clue.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM

252 posts, read 650,069 times
Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street has really good wings.

Can't help you with the strippers and hookers either, except to say that I think a lot of people prefer to go across the border to Fort Erie, Canada because the laws regarding alcohol in strip clubs are more permissive there.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,155 times
The train is the most comfortable by far (but it will be a longer ride). Megabus isn't bad either.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM

223 posts, read 732,378 times
Has anyone actually taken the Megabus? I'm curious how that trip would be too.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,155 times
I've taken the Megabus, it was $45 round trip and it was some kind of holiday so the bus was crowded. On the way up it was empty. The bus is never a comfortable ride, but the schedules are generally more flexible, the trips can be significantly shorter.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM

223 posts, read 732,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I've taken the Megabus, it was $45 round trip and it was some kind of holiday so the bus was crowded. On the way up it was empty. The bus is never a comfortable ride, but the schedules are generally more flexible, the trips can be significantly shorter.
Excellent, thanks for the review. We were looking at it to NYC and wanted to talk to somoeone that had used the service.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks for tip. I may just fly and save myself the 5 hours each way.

What's the best way you get from the airport to downtown buffalo (Carlton st), particularly late at night (midnight-ish) and/or early morning (4am)? If by cab, what's a rough estimate on the fare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area