Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times

Advertisements

Go to 4xx Ashland (won't give the exact address here) and visit the Clopper family. Wife is a psychologist; husband is a psychoneuroendocrinologist. Sickest occupational title I've ever heard, to this day. Son is last I checked working on a biology doctorate at Yale. Son was my best friend in grade school (the now-defunct Mount St. Joseph Academy). Family's class (as the British say...in our vernacular, they're good people). Probably only gets worse from there on that block, but I assume most of the actual residents in that area are law-abiding people, as it's actually pretty expensive around there, upper-middle class IMO (to slightly revise Linda d's take). I like to walk around Ashland (and the rest of the area), myself, at night, beer in hand, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing so casually to a solitary female who isn't familiar with the area. However, you're ok doing so exactly one block to the east (on Elmwood itself). Ashland is quite dark at night, for one thing. The Cloppers would always report occasional minor property thefts throughout my childhood (I'm referring to the mid-late nineties here, so this info is a bit dated...but combine that with my more recent firsthand experiences and what you've read and I don't think it's far removed from what you might expect). I remember the son coming to school one day back in maybe '96 telling me about a bike that he saw stolen from his garage in broad daylight. I assume these sorts of crimes continue to take place, and largely during the late-night hours I like to keep (prior anecdote notwithstanding), as I am often nocturnal, and my walks sometimes/often expose me to people who I assume are not local residents.

All that being said, my overall verdict of the area is "safe", but not "super safe" as you initially assumed, according to your OP. Realize that I'm trying to hedge as much as possible because I think you might be a bit uncomfortable there, especially given your preconceptions.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 08-03-2013 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 AM

chronic disease epidemiology, actually, not biology

Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 AM

What you have to realize about Buffalo in general is that Elmwood Village is a bit of an island (and quite a nice one at that, in many ways), stretching all of maybe five blocks east-to-west between two larger regions of general poverty (West Side and East Side) in the third-poorest city in the country. Ashland is included in this "island", but it's easily accessible by the "mainlanders." Some mainlanders are cool; many are in fact. Some aren't (hell, being the misanthrope I am, I often find the "islanders" to be *******s). Buffalo's an interesting place, and one I enjoying observing sociologically but may not enjoy living in, because there is much about which to be disappointed. Architecturally it's really nice, but I'd trade the architecture for better people. I'm actually let down moreso by the denizens of the more desirable areas than I am say by people who live in some of the more hardscrabble areas of the West Side. I do not know your background so I can't make any guesses about specific adjustment issues, but Buffalo is pretty de facto-insular (if superficially friendly, oftentimes) and I would have to imagine it would be difficult to adjust to. If you're not decently content with urban solitude like I am, then best of luck to you.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will, or would, disagree. genoobie better not disagree, though, because we're united in the brotherhood of Zetti's pizza fandom.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 08-03-2013 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
What you have to realize about Buffalo in general is that Elmwood Village is a bit of an island (and quite a nice one at that, in many ways), stretching all of maybe five blocks east-to-west between two larger regions of general poverty (West Side and East Side) in the third-poorest city in the country. .
Excellent way to describe the area.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
What about areas east of Elmwood Village like Parkside, Central Park, Park Meadow and Vernon Triangle? Or even Hamlin Park.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about areas east of Elmwood Village like Parkside, Central Park, Park Meadow and Vernon Triangle? Or even Hamlin Park.
Historically, Buffalo is a very strange city as far as mobility patterns go. Main Street has been the big residential dividing line since at least 1900 and perhaps earlier, and virtually no one who was raised on one side of Main Street moved to the other side of Main Street. Even the patterns of suburb mobility has been influenced by this. Many people today think it's a racial thing because most blacks lived east of Main until quite recently, but this pattern started long before there were significant numbers of African Americans in Buffalo. It seems that where you or your first ancestor settled in Buffalo has traditionally pretty much determined which side of Main Street you look for housing. So, looking in Parkside or Park Meadown would be okay for a West Sider, Central Park (at least the part east of Main Street), Vernon Triangle or Hamlin Park would be out of the question.

I lived in Buffalo for twenty years and taught school for a year on the East Side, but my poor sense of geography of the East Side remains only surpassed by my ignorance of most of South Buffalo, an alien land where neither East Siders nor West Siders ventured often.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,647 times
Alot of my nieces and nephews live in that area with no problems....I just went to a wedding there in a cute old church ....hubby and my first apartment was very close to there and my uncle lived on Ashland with no problems until he died five year ago....hope it goes well for you,,,,

Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Linda I lived in the burbs for 17 years and the the city (north buffalo for 25 years) loved every minute of it,,,but I think your assessment of the city is strictly limited to certain types of people ,mainly older ,conservative folks who scar easily,but if you had family in all these other areas as I did you traveled throughout the entire city,,,I had an aunt in south buffalo so spent lots of time there,mom bought a house on Grand Island after we were all married....not to keen about that place but the residents all love it...I would not give two cents for Amherst ,bunch of snobs with houses that cost way too much,,,and terrible traffic,,,but I don't consider it Buffalo, my husband was from Riverside so we would visits his aunts and his grandma there,,,I taught my kids not to be afraid to go around the city,,,,and as most murders are actually domestic disputes or at least someone the person knows, should worry less about stuff like that.They end up not enjoying their life as much because of fears...now my mom lives in Lockport so when I go home I spend alot of time there,but HAVE to go back to my Buffalo ,where ,honest friend still teaches school at West Hertel.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Ps Bocci for pizza ,Kostas on Hertel ave for Greek food,John and Mary's ( there are many locations throughout western NY ) for subs ,chicken wings and the best Italian sausage sandwich in the world called a lBIg John...that is if you like spicy. There is a restaurant on transit going into Lockport that has great Indian food,for a fancy Italian evening it Salvatore's is amazing but expensive so save for special ,Teds for hot dogs many locations around the area and these skin on with bunches of topping choices....they make great burgers there too and fries and also a favorite drink n buffalo at alot of these restaurants is Loganberry....it's something we imported from Canada...I think there is still a great fish market on Elmwood which should not be far from you...lots of little eclectic restaurants were you are,,and a TERRIFIC but expensive Italian restaurant on Bryant a few blocks from Elwood...incredible food..if you only go and get an appetizer it's worth it,,,,if you visit Niagara Falls .uou might find its cool to spend the day on the American side which is more natural and full of parks and then the night on the Canadian side which is built up and has great restaurants and a night
Life

Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Oh and I forgot Anderson's for roast beef on kimmilwick which is a roll with sea salt out of this world. This is real roast beef not like at Arbies. Then you get custard there for dessert,,,it's not ice cream it's a frozen dessert made with cream and tons of eggs,,,,delicious...this is a family chain, first one on Sheridan drive on kenmore,one on a,heat,Lockport...as for hospitLs you will be close to Sisters which is a good general hospital ,it's forte is its nursing care,Then Buffalo General which is a research hospital and does everything including open heart,brand new wing which I just saw when brother in law had by pass,,,w like something out of Star Trek...amazing...got terrific care...ROSWELL place to go if heaven forbid you have to deal with cancer...it's top in its field....children's is close you for kids or babies or high risk moms....if you end up not liking your area,north buffalo has alot of double houses that are usually rather inexpensive to rent either the upper or lower half and its a great safe area.....the universities in buffalo are rated well both my husband and I went to the University of NY at BUffalo...there are two campuses now one on Main Street where we went and one in Amherst.
The transit system is nice for those going to school and down town unfortunately it is too limited as far as I am concerned because too many people are too invested in their cars and not worried about mass transit,and it's benefits.The city also brings in almost all the big names in entertainment when they tour which is great.Their is an active local theater and also nice theaters for touring of the big broadway plays when they go on the road...you will see there the architecture from when it was a booming city manufacturing steel and shipping grain and all kinds of goods all over the country and the world ....there is a good book called the city of lights that will tell y about its history and how it lost a lot of its glory after president McKinley was shot there almost as if the nation wanted to punish the city,then the depression and the loss of American steel and decline as a center for autos affected it,but it is coming back as a banking ,Heath care and fine manufacturing center.also companies
Like google are opening large offices there .I hope this helps you and you enjoy the city as much as I do....I think you will find the people friendly and willing to help out a stranger in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area