Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I worked in NYC for a Jewish Businessman. He did those baseball clothes for the fans. He told me how he bought them in China, had them imprinted and a big cost was the licensing fee. He was constantly surprised that these fans would buy this garbage at those prices. He always said "You Gentiles are so stupid" and he laughed all the way to the bank. I loved that man, who survived the holocaust, as he taught me much about life.
I lived around plenty of "those" people with similar elitist attitudes towards "Gentiles" on Long Island. Glad to be leaving that culture frankly. Never thought much about it either way until I was confronted with it everyday. Real moral to screw people out of their money. Good people to "look up to"

The coastal elite will never understand a place like Buffalo and that's good, because I want to be as far away from their influence as possible!

I do agree that WNY does need a better attitude when it comes to other races but that will come in time and I do think it's much much better now than when I was growing up in the 1980's. My son's Kindergarden class in "very white" Hamburg is about 15% minority, up from nearly 0 just a decade ago, so change is happening from the younger age range on up.

Sorry we aren't dying out quick enough for you.

Last edited by Port North; 10-28-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
The OP had got a good picture of Buffalo. I laugh because it is the same Buffalo, I left over about 45 years ago.

Racism was so Bad and I grew up in Cheektowaga, right Near the Town Park. It is nice to see that Cheektowaga is getting people of Color--I relish the thought that it annoys those insular racist in that town. We will see the day when the Cheektowaga Town Park is known for its Martin Luther King Celebration and Cesar Chavez Day with the diminishing Polish festivals as just a remembrance of a time long past.

The sports obsessed are ridiculous. The area is very poor and they cannot get their priorities straight. They will spend all this money on football and the rest of WNY just roots and decays. They will buy a new stadium for the rich owner and then ignore the other needs of the area.

I worked in NYC for a Jewish Businessman. He did those baseball clothes for the fans. He told me how he bought them in China, had them imprinted and a big cost was the licensing fee. He was constantly surprised that these fans would buy this garbage at those prices. He always said "You Gentiles are so stupid" and he laughed all the way to the bank. I loved that man, who survived the holocaust, as he taught me much about life.

Here in Denver, it is no different with these sports fanatics. However, there is one BIG difference; Denver is a wealthy city and can afford all these new sports venues. Other needs are also well meet and the area is not in decay. Denver is a thriving metropolis that is considered one of the best cities to live.

I did notice when I moved to Denver many decades ago that there was much less racial tension than the Buffalo area. We have a substantial diversity with a predominance of the Latino culture. Denver does not have the strong delimited neighborhoods of the race, as you see in the older Eastern Cities. It has neighborhood that have more blacks and Latinos but these area are not so well defined and insulated as the areas in Buffalo that I knew. Now we are attracting more from Asia, the Middle East and Europe and it all melds well together in this city.

It is really funny to hear that people brag about what high school they attended. I never realized until now that was very evident when I grew up. It is really more of characteristic of those less educated. They brags and boasts including their stories of the Army days. They sit in those bars, belching over their fat bellies. I remember now when I worked at the Ford Stamping Plan after the Army and on my way back to college. There were those bars in Lackawanna with the blowhards in their bowling and union shirts slobbering their opinions. Believe me, the same characters are found here and everywhere, not just Buffalo. However, I do not see those bowling and union shirts in Denver as bowling is not such a big activity and unions are not dominate.

Livecontent
God, will you get off your high horse already? Denver is a white collar city and Buffalo isn't. Seems like you want everyplace to be the same. Buffalo has real people that are not part of the boring white collar global agnostic elite. Thank God not everyplace in the world is Manhattan or Silicon Valley. It would be a very sterile place devoid of real meaning.

Besides you paint a picture of Buffalo from 1975, the area has progressed since then, but at the same time hasn't sold its soul. I'm proud of Western New York for what it is. I've lived in a place that people aspire to for 15 years and I can tell you that it isn't all that.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I lived around plenty of "those" people with similar elitist attitudes towards "Gentiles" on Long Island. Glad to be leaving that culture frankly. Never thought much about it either way until I was confronted with it everyday. Real moral to screw people out of their money. People to "look up to"

The coastal elite will never understand a place like Buffalo and that's good, because I want to be as far away from their influence as possible!

I do agree that WNY does need a better attitude when it comes to other races but that will come in time and I do think it's much much better now than when I was growing up in the 1980's. My son's Kindergarden class in "very white" Hamburg is about 15% minority, up from nearly 0 just a decade ago, so change is happening from the younger age range on up.
Yet, the Sports fanatics look up the athletes and the owners who are definitely screwing them with the cost of the game, the excessive food costs at the stadium and their excessive profits and compensation for players and owners. Shall we also mention that they are laughing with joyful derision when the cities and people give money to built their stadiums so they can rob even more.

So, you deride the Jewish Businessman because he is offering a product for sale, where their is a demand from stupid people who buy it, and forget that the owners of the game are also making a profit from the sale of this garbage.

You can only be screwed out of your money if you choose to be screwed but Sports fanatics are blind to who is doing the screwing as they drool over sports.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-28-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yet, the Sports fanatics look up the athletes and the owners who are definitely screwing them with the cost of the game, the food at the stadium and their excessive profits and compensation. So, you deride the Jewish Businessman because he is offering a product for sale, where their is a demand from stupid people who buy it, and forget that the owners of the game are also making a profit from the sale of this garbage.

You can only be screwed out of your money if you choose to be screwed but Sports fanatics are blind to who is doing the screwing as they drool over sports.

Livecontent
No, it's his attitude about it that is the problem, the condescension about it.

It's one thing to legitimately offer a product that may be overpriced but in demand and another to openly mock your customers. Just shows a lack of respect.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The OP had got a good picture of Buffalo. I laugh because it is the same Buffalo, I left over about 45 years ago.

Racism was so Bad and I grew up in Cheektowaga, right Near the Town Park. It is nice to see that Cheektowaga is getting people of Color--I relish the thought that it annoys those insular racist in that town. We will see the day when the Cheektowaga Town Park is known for its Martin Luther King Celebration and Cesar Chavez Day with the diminishing Polish festivals as just a remembrance of a time long past.

The sports obsessed are ridiculous. The area is very poor and they cannot get their priorities straight. They will spend all this money on football and the rest of WNY just roots and decays. They will buy a new stadium for the rich owner and then ignore the other needs of the area.

Here in Denver, it is no different with these sports fanatics. However, there is one BIG difference; Denver is a wealthy city and can afford all these new sports venues. Other needs are also well meet and the area is not in decay. Denver is a thriving metropolis that is considered one of the best cities to live. I also have no interest in the sports fanaticism. However, in Denver, it is much easier to avoid that annoyance because this area has more diverse cultural activities with a much more educated populace.

I did notice when I moved to Denver many decades ago that there was much less racial tension than the Buffalo area. We have a substantial diversity with a predominance of the Latino culture. Denver does not have the strong delimited neighborhoods of the race, as you see in the older Eastern Cities. It has neighborhood that have more blacks and Latinos but these area are not so well defined and insulated as the areas in Buffalo that I knew. Now we are attracting more from Asia, the Middle East and Europe and it all melds well together in this city.

It is really funny to hear that people brag about what high school they attended. I never realized until now that was very evident when I grew up. It is really more of characteristic of those less educated. They brags and boasts including their stories of the Army days. They sit in those bars, belching over their fat bellies. I remember now when I worked at the Ford Stamping Plan after the Army and on my way back to college. There were those bars in Lackawanna with the blowhards in their bowling and union shirts slobbering their opinions. Believe me, the same characters are found here and everywhere, not just Buffalo. However, I do not see those bowling and union shirts in Denver as bowling is not such a big activity and unions are not dominate.

Livecontent
By the way I liked Denver when I visited. Never could live there though because the elevation and dry air doesnt agree with me.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM

122 posts, read 188,056 times
Quote:

Livecontent

It's true. Here's a couple scenarios I've observed:

Scenario 1:
Guy: "Oh you've been unemployed for 10 years, tried to commit suicide twice, and are addicted to cocaine?"..*looks around for an exit*

Girl: "Well, yeah, I went to Park school so I guess I had a lot of pressure to succeed."

Guy: "Oh you went to Park? Ok, I get it. Want to meet my parents next weekend?"

Scenario 2:
Guy: "I just go back from Paris. I was an officer in the navy, and my band is playing here tomorrow night. Anyways, I came back to Buffalo to work with refugees and I'm teaching an Engineering course at UB."

Girl: "Where did you say you went to school again?"

Guy: "MIT"

Girl: "No I mean high school."

Guy: "Oh Sloan."

Girl: "Sloan, oooohhh. I, uh, gotta go to the bathroom." *exits out back door.*

Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
It's true. Here's a couple scenarios I've observed:

Scenario 1:
Guy: "Oh you've been unemployed for 10 years, tried to commit suicide twice, and are addicted to cocaine?"..*looks around for an exit*

Girl: "Well, yeah, I went to Park school so I guess I had a lot of pressure to succeed."

Guy: "Oh you went to Park? Ok, I get it. Want to meet my parents next weekend?"

Scenario 2:
Guy: "I just go back from Paris. I was an officer in the navy, and my band is playing here tomorrow night. Anyways, I came back to Buffalo to work with refugees and I'm teaching an Engineering course at UB."

Girl: "Where did you say you went to school again?"

Guy: "MIT"

Girl: "No I mean high school."

Guy: "Oh Sloan."

Girl: "Sloan, oooohhh. I, uh, gotta go to the bathroom." *exits out back door.*
LOL!!! Love it!

I don't care if it's a little bit true. I'm not single anyways. When I was in my Mid 20's and single I felt like you guys did. Age and your life stage changes your view on WNY.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
God, will you get off your high horse already? Denver is a white collar city and Buffalo isn't. Seems like you want everyplace to be the same. Buffalo has real people that are not part of the boring white collar global agnostic elite. Thank God not everyplace in the world is Manhattan or Silicon Valley. It would be a very sterile place devoid of real meaning.

Besides you paint a picture of Buffalo from 1975, the area has progressed since then, but at the same time hasn't sold its soul. I'm proud of Western New York for what it is. I've lived in a place that people aspire to for 15 years and I can tell you that it isn't all that.
Denver is not the white collar global elite. Actually Denver is more of working class city but has more now of the white collar than Buffalo. Denver has many neighborhoods that are reminiscent to me of the South Buffalo which I often frequented and enjoyed. As much of the west and the south, these areas are home to some of the largest christian churches in America. The Catholic Church closes churches in Buffalo because Buffalo is losing population. In Denver there is growth of new larger Catholic Churches and members because of the influx of Catholic Latinos immigrants and because Denver population is growing.

Denver is not similar to Manhattan as I have lived there. It does not have the same homogeneous characteristics of Silicon Valley. I actually left Buffalo in 1970 on the way the Army and just stayed for short time after Army service on my way back to College--I am in my 60s. My Buffalo memories are of the 1950s and 60s. I actually do miss many aspects of WNY as I have always found the small towns of WNY as appealing. If I never left for the Army, I think I would have stayed in the area. The weather was not the reason I left, it was more of that the Army gave me a view of other places. Buffalo when I left, 45 years ago, was decaying since the 1950s and it has got worse over the years.

Actually Denver was losing population when I arrived and was similiar in size to Buffalo. Denver is what Buffalo should have become and Buffalo is what Denver did not become.

Livecontent

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Denver is not the white collar global elite. Actually Denver is more of working class city but has more now of the white collar than Buffalo. Denver has many neighborhoods that are reminiscent to me of the South Buffalo which I often frequented and enjoyed. As much of the west and the south, these areas are home to some of the largest christian churches in America. The Catholic Church closes churches in Buffalo because Buffalo is losing population. In Denver there is growth of new larger Catholic Churches and members because of the influx of Catholic Latinos immigrants and because Denver population is growing.

Denver is not similar to Manhattan as I have lived there. It does not have the same homogeneous characteristics of Silicon Valley. I actually left Buffalo in 1970 on the way the Army and just stayed for short time after Army service on my way back to College--I am in my 60s. My Buffalo memories are of the 1950s and 60s. I actually do miss many aspects of WNY as I have always found the small towns of WNY as appealing. If I never left for the Army, I think I would have stayed in the area. The weather was not the reason I left, it was more of that the Army gave me a view of other places. Buffalo when I left, 45 years ago, was decaying since the 1950s and it has got worse over the years.

Actually Denver was losing population when I arrived and was similiar in size to Buffalo. Denver is what Buffalo should have become and Buffalo is what Denver did not become.

Livecontent
With Denver, it is THE city/metro in the Mountain West and it has the second highest rate of government or federal government employment in the country only behind DC. While there is a good sized private sector, the public sector is pretty big and helps in terms of its white collar vibe. It is also a bigger city in terms of land and can absorb any blight/poverty due to this.

Also, its Black community is largely in either Denver or Aurora, with the rest sprinkled throughout. Aurora actually has a higher Black percentage than Denver(around 17% vs 9-10%). So, the cultural diversity is just different.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM

122 posts, read 188,056 times
To be fair, Buffalo has more going for it now than it did just a decade ago, in terms of quality of life improvements. However, the job market still sucks. I know a lot of young people who came here and left because they got discouraged with the lack of opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area