Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I grew up in my early years in Queens, Laurelton near Jamaica. We then move to Cheektowaga. So, I am familiar with both areas. Latter, I worked in Manhattan and did live for a time in Harlem on the edge of Spanish Harlem when that area was real bad many years ago.

I have learned to appreciate the Latino culture. Denver is considered the Rocky Mountain State but it also considered part of the Great Southwest which has a strong Hispanic Culture going back to the Spanish colonization. The West is interesting in that you must learn to accept the differences of the culture and the land; for if you do then you will be invited by this land to be content and happy.

Livecontent
I'm on the north shore of Nassau County and my community is a mix of upper middle class Jews (and increasingly Asians) and working class Hispanics. The Hispanic areas were once Italian and Polish. A very small black community has lived here in Port Washington continuously since the time of slavery. Our library had a display about it several years back. Not too many blacks though live outside of this small community even today. They cluster around the Harbor Road area.

Last edited by Port North; 10-30-2014 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 AM

122 posts, read 188,073 times
Anyways, I didn't want to start a fight. I was just pointing out things that had bothered me about Buffalo for a long time. You can deny it, ignore it, or change the subject, but it doesn't make these issues go away. Other than the weather, all the other issues I mentioned can be addressed, but Buffalo has to be admit it has a problem first. The drunk culture is probably the easiest to fix. Just start mass arresting people coming out of the Ralph.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
Anyways, I didn't want to start a fight. I was just pointing out things that had bothered me about Buffalo for a long time. You can deny it, ignore it, or change the subject, but it doesn't make these issues go away. Other than the weather, all the other issues I mentioned can be addressed, but Buffalo has to be admit it has a problem first. The drunk culture is probably the easiest to fix. Just start mass arresting people coming out of the Ralph.
I agree about the situation out at the Ralph at times. It would be nice if there were not nearly as many completely blasted people out there causing problems. I know it is certainly not everyone, but there are enough people that seem to go to excess which tend to spoil the experience for others.

A new downtown stadium may help curb this, as it will greatly reduce the space and opportunity for large tailgating to allow this kind of thing. If people had to go into the stadium and pay big money for beers instead of grabbing them out of their trunk, they may be a little more responsible.

A more responsible crowd would make the games more fun for more people, and could even help them charge more.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I agree about the situation out at the Ralph at times. It would be nice if there were not nearly as many completely blasted people out there causing problems. I know it is certainly not everyone, but there are enough people that seem to go to excess which tend to spoil the experience for others.

A new downtown stadium may help curb this, as it will greatly reduce the space and opportunity for large tailgating to allow this kind of thing. If people had to go into the stadium and pay big money for beers instead of grabbing them out of their trunk, they may be a little more responsible.

A more responsible crowd would make the games more fun for more people, and could even help them charge more.
True, you don't see that roudy crowd at Sabres games

Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
At the time we left Laurelton, people were moving out at night and selling to Blacks. These post WWII homes were build for returning GIs. I remember that it was heavily Jewish but I suspect no more.

Casenovia Park and Delaware Park are great parks build during the City Beautiful movement. Denver also did much during that time and many great parks were developed. I have spend much time in Delaware Park and the museum. Casenovia Park was a favorite as my girlfriend and I walked her dog and it was in South Buffalo where I had some good times.

Unfortunately the building of nice Parks did not extend out to Cheektowaga in my time. Cheektowaga was and still very blue collar and building parks, libraries were not on their "meat and potato" agenda. The first library was the Reinstein at the Town Park about 1962. The town had no planning; no Main Street and the city hall was way out on Union with no connection to the rest of the city. There was also no Movie Theater until the Theaters on Unions--I think it was called the Holiday Showcase, in the early 60s. We had to go Denver for movies. I think the closes was the Bailey.

My parents eventually moved to Lancaster/Depew and that area had much more character. At least there was Como Park and a nice main street.

Ah, I do have found memories going on Lake Shore Road when I started to drive. There was that club, Lerzaks or was it the WMU club--there was a name change.

Livecontent
Not to hijack the thread, but you are correct in that it isn't heavily Jewish anymore. It is, however, a part of SE Queens, which is a mostly Black and middle class section that is one of the biggest in the country of its kind. Laurelton, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/re...anted=all&_r=0

11413 Zip Code - USA.comâ„¢
11413 Zip Code Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but you are correct in that it isn't heavily Jewish anymore. It is, however, a part of SE Queens, which is a mostly Black and middle class section that is one of the biggest in the country of its kind. Laurelton, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/re...anted=all&_r=0

11413 Zip Code - USA.com™
11413 Zip Code Population and Races - USA.com™
Yes this is true, the spokesman for the company I work for (who is black) lived there for many years, until he married a Greek girl from Astoria

SE Queens though is mainly middle class Carribean blacks now, most of the native born middle class blacks head out to Long Island or are heading to cities in the South like Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Yes this is true, the spokesman for the company I work for (who is black) lived there for many years, until he married a Greek girl from Astoria

SE Queens though is mainly middle class Carribean blacks now, most of the native born middle class blacks head out to Long Island or are heading to cities in the South like Atlanta.
Yes, a lot of people may not be familiar with that area and communities like Baldwin, western Freeport, Lakeview, West Hempstead and Wheatley Heights, among others, are areas of Long Island that people move to.

In Buffalo, it seems like some areas near UB in the city, Amherst and Cheektowaga have some somewhat similar neighborhoods or middle class Blacks.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, a lot of people may not be familiar with that area and communities like Baldwin, western Freeport, Lakeview, West Hempstead and Wheatley Heights, among others, are areas of Long Island that people move to.

In Buffalo, it seems like some areas near UB in the city, Amherst and Cheektowaga have some somewhat similar neighborhoods or middle class Blacks.
Yes, that would be the rough equivalent in WNY. The Cathedral Gardens neighborhood of Hempstead would even be considered an upper middle class black neighborhood, looks a bit like the Central Park neighborhood in Buffalo but without the Jewish population

Last edited by Port North; 10-30-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Yes, that would be the rough equivalent in WNY. The Cathedral Gardens neighborhood of Hempstead would even be considered an upper middle class black neighborhood, looks a bit like the Central Park neighborhood in Buffalo but without the Jewish population
I guess Hamlin Park and maybe Vernon Triangle may be similar or close as well.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I can post some lists too. Want to know why a lot of Western NY'ers love living here contrary to those who don't live here or who want to move constantly trying to tell us how bad it is?

Rochester, Buffalo named the happiest cities in America | syracuse.com

America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes
Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area