Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Predictable. Follows up one logical fallacy with another.

You do realize, I can put any location I want in there?

I can put "moon", I can put "your neighbor", I can put, "bacon receptacle".

Here's some good advice: focus not on where someone is, but the content of their post. I thought after typing that once, it would be enough.

Did you just validate Buffalo by saying, "Whole Foods is opening up here"? Is that the claim to fame? The city school system is a disaster - but Buffalo is getting a Whole Foods!

Some small parts of the city are getting better. Let me guess - you're white, lower or mid-middle class and have lived in the inner ring suburbs for most of your life? The only place you would have lived for the past 63 years in Buffalo if you are white is either the Delaware Park area, just east of downtown, or the Old First Ward.

Also, of course I only know mostly what I read - regardless of where I live. I can't be a million places at once at all times. Neither can you, surprise!

(PS - where it says I live, I don't live...so hopefully that quashes your obsession with where people live)
Whole Foods is not a claim to fame, its just another sign of the cities rebirth.
The state of the City of Buffalo's school system is an intransigent one which is a mixture of politics, the teachers union and the general poverty of the city.
As far as what class, race and where I have lived is really not germane to this conversation, my points which I have seen first hand validate IMHO that the city is on the upswing.
I don't care where you live but your profile said you lived here at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Whole Foods is not a claim to fame, its just another sign of the cities rebirth.
The state of the City of Buffalo's school system is an intransigent one which is a mixture of politics, the teachers union and the general poverty of the city.
As far as what class, race and where I have lived is really not germane to this conversation, my points which I have seen first hand validate IMHO that the city is on the upswing.
I don't care where you live but your profile said you lived here at one time.
See, I can bring up inconsequential details as well.

Actually, demographic details are important to a city with a marked and historical racial divide that exists to this day. Black people in Buffalo for 60 years are going to have a HUGE difference in perception versus white people. 60 years is going back to the days when racism was A-OK.

Whole Foods is a supermarket. Not a factory. People used to cheer when a factory producing steel came to town. Now they cheer when a supermarket comes to town. Long slide down.

I don't see how Whole Foods would reveal anything about a rebirth, especially when it's being planted in the suburb most predicted to house such an establishment.

What a "rebirth" would be would be small businesses (in this comparison, markets or artisans) busting out on every corner of the city.

Re-birth, the (re-) implies returning back to a time in the past. Whole Foods is no such thing.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Actually, the Black aspect isn't exclusive to Buffalo. Ironically, an old list I came across from 1947 in the Negro Digest, which became JET Magazine, had Buffalo as one of the top 10 cities for Blacks. So, a lot of thing are relative and can be said about any area to some degree.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Black aspect isn't exclusive to Buffalo. Ironically, an old list I came across from 1947 in the Negro Digest, which became JET Magazine, had Buffalo as one of the top 10 cities for Blacks. So, a lot of thing are relative and can be said about any area to some degree.
Nope, it isn't. But one desert having a few more shrubs than another part of a desert, not a great argument can be made from that.

Most Rust Belt cities are hyper-racially divided and have been for decades. Which is a testament to the fact that despite them getting expensive supermarkets, they haven't done much of anything to cure the gangrene eating their communities away.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Nope, it isn't. But one desert having a few more shrubs than another part of a desert, not a great argument can be made from that.

Most Rust Belt cities are hyper-racially divided and have been for decades. Which is a testament to the fact that despite them getting expensive supermarkets, they haven't done much of anything to cure the gangrene eating their communities away.
Most "Rust Belt" areas are ethnically divided and to be honest, the only reason Southern areas aren't viewed as such is indirectly due to enslavement. In the West, it is due to movement into Native/Mexican lands and immigration from Asia.

Places with newer development tend to have different housing patterns and there are integrated areas in Rust Belt as well. It may be a matter of the degree with the latter. So, like I mentioned earlier, you have to look at these things holistically.

Also, if we are going to be honest, what you find in Buffalo in regards to certain parts of town can be found in cities across this country to some degree. This is the case even if the city is a fast growing city/area. So, there really needs to be another question asked, but that is for another thread.

What I think people are referring to is the investment in Downtown and other select parts of Buffalo, as well as new small businesses/stores in parts of the city/area. Here is some info: Buffalo / Niagara Falls - SkyscraperCity

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2016 at 03:54 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
Quote:
The question is whether there is a positive trend in Buffalo that not only upends the negatives - but also is long-term. That's how realists, business-people, and statisticians evaluate growth of a city's economy.
Ah so you simply change "the question" as necessary so you win. I therefore change the question to be whether there is a positive trend in Buffalo. I was tempted to add some ridiculousness to the question as you did but it wasn't needed. I win.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Ah so you simply change "the question" as necessary so you win. I therefore change the question to be whether there is a positive trend in Buffalo. I was tempted to add some ridiculousness to the question as you did but it wasn't needed. I win.
I win? Did you forget this is a message board thread?

Otherwise, interestingly childlike post.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Most "Rust Belt" areas are ethnically divided and to be honest, the only reason Southern areas aren't viewed as such is indirectly due to enslavement. In the West, it is due to movement into Native/Mexican lands and immigration from Asia.

Places with newer development tend to have different housing patterns and there are integrated areas in Rust Belt as well. It may be a matter of the degree with the latter. So, like I mentioned earlier, you have to look at these things holistically.

Also, if we are going to be honest, what you find in Buffalo in regards to certain parts of town can be found in cities across this country to some degree. This is the case even if the city is a fast growing city/area. So, there really needs to be another question asked, but that is for another thread.

What I think people are referring to is the investment in Downtown and other select parts of Buffalo, as well as new small businesses/stores in parts of the city/area. Here is some info: Buffalo / Niagara Falls - SkyscraperCity
The thread is titled, "The Real Buffalo NY"

Also, you just repeated what I said in my post.

And you also repeated what was said in a previous post. A hundred wrongs don't make a right. And a hundred failures don't make progress.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 AM

255 posts, read 235,602 times
Buffalo & WNY has so many serious problems that are catastrophic, They are so bad, they just keep ignoring them for over 40 years, and say it's like this everywhere.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The thread is titled, "The Real Buffalo NY"

Also, you just repeated what I said in my post.

And you also repeated what was said in a previous post. A hundred wrongs don't make a right. And a hundred failures don't make progress.
No I didn't. My point is that the things you mentioned aren't just occurring in Buffalo and is a systemic, socio-historical and national issue. Not every Black person in Buffalo is poor as well and even that will depend on the person/family.

No one said that they are or should be ignored, but to make it seem like other places are without issues is silly. A lot of times, the people addressing the issues aren't going to be recognized by looking through the mainstream media either. Check out the Buffalo Challenger, radio shows on stations like WUFO 1080 and WWWS 1400 and info on community organizations/groups. For instance, Buffalo even with its pay disparities which are prevalent nationwide, actually has the highest percentage of Black owned businesses with paid employees in the country and there is actually a WNY Black Chamber of Commerce in the area to help encourage business development in the community.

Also, the positive things that people are referring to are in relation to the construction/development/investment occurring in the city and area. This is just as much a part of "the Real Buffalo NY" as anything else.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area