Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times

Advertisements

As a native Rochesterian, I have always wondered what Buffalo's perspective on this was.

In Rochester, Western New York is defined as the region of New York State stretching from the Canadian Border to just east of Rochester, as well as the Southern Tier from Chautauqua to Chemung Counties. This would include both the Rochester and Buffalo metropolitan areas. Wikipedia defines the region in a similar manner.

However, I have heard from friends who went to college in Buffalo that you guys do not consider anything outside of Erie or Niagara Counties to be considered "Western New York," and that, according to them, Rochester is considered either the Finger Lakes region or Central New York (which puzzles me). I notice your news likewise will generally not refer to any stories outside of Buffalo or Niagara Falls to be taking place in WNY, while in Rochester we will always refer to anything in the above referenced areas as WNY.

Is this true? If so, why? What does it take to be Western New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 07:01 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Roughly a line connecting Albion, Batavia, Warsaw, Cuba, Bolivar represent the eastern edge of WNY. They even teach that in Buffalo schools, apparently.

New York State Regions Research Project

Old 04-09-2017, 05:35 AM

937 posts, read 699,393 times
Quote:
you guys do not consider anything outside of Erie or Niagara Counties to be considered "Western New York," and that, according to them, Rochester is considered either the Finger Lakes region
Kinda true on the 1st point, but that is really restrictive. Rochester is clearly in the Finger Lakes region.
Most here consider the two counties (in blue) that border PA, the "southern tier.

FWIW, residents of NYC consider anything north of the 5 burrows "upstate".

Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 PM

384 posts, read 272,522 times
Western New York is anywhere that can receive Buffalo or Rochester television stations and FM Radio. (also inclusive are Corning/Elmira's media market for the Southern Tier) I know that most of the Rochester FMs start to be heard clearly around the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge right near where Route 31 crosses the New York State Thruway (though some Rochester FMs like 98.9 The Buzz reach as far east as Fulton) Television-wise, WROC, WHEC, and WHAM are all available over cable and satellite in Seneca and parts of Cayuga County. This would put the eastern boundary of WNY on a line running from about Elmira northward to Watkins Glen, to Port Byron, and up to Lake Ontario just north of Red Creek.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Roughly a line connecting Albion, Batavia, Warsaw, Cuba, Bolivar represent the eastern edge of WNY. They even teach that in Buffalo schools, apparently.

New York State Regions Research Project
I think it depends if you acknowledge the Finger Lakes as a distinct region. To the extent that this topic gets discussed at all, most people tend to distinguish only between WNY and CNY, and given that, most people would I think put Rochester in WNY rather than CNY. But I've always felt like Rochester gets mentioned very little in Buffalo for a city that's as close as it is. This is probably at least partially due to the fact that it's not much of a destination, and not all that many people from Buffalo commute to Rochester for work. Also, for what it's worth, the map shows 7 counties as composing WNY, whereas I've been conditioned by local news weather forecasts to think of it being 8 counties--Allegheny is included as well. Obviously though it makes sense to include it in the Southern Tier region, although Chautauqua and Cattaraugus could also be so included

Old 12-09-2017, 09:01 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
not all that many people from Buffalo commute to Rochester for work.

It's about 20,000 each way daily. Sounds about right. I've known and know many people who do

Old 12-09-2017, 02:44 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It's about 20,000 each way daily. Sounds about right. I've known and know many people who do
Ok, I kinda stand corrected. I would've guessed half that at most. There are some that probably qualify as 'Rochester to Buffalo' or vice versa that aren't exactly the full trip...I remember that my 7th grade teacher in North Buffalo (my school was right across the street from Canisius College, if you're familiar) commuted every day from Byron. So she was the 20,000...barely....right? Heh.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
More people commute from Buffalo to Rochester than vice versa, but many more commute from further distances regularly per the Census numbers:

Rochester MSA
- total commuters from outside MSA (USA only) = 24,220
- commuters from Buffalo MSA = 3,736

Buffalo-Niagara MSA:
- total commuters from outside MSA (USA only) = 18,222
- commuters from Rochester MSA = 3,106

(Probably also a few hundred Canadians commute to Buffalo daily - Peace Bridge traffic is heavier into the US in the mornings, to Canada in the evenings (about 200-250 cars/hour difference during rush hours)

source:
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...ing-flows.html

Old 12-10-2017, 05:06 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
More people commute from Buffalo to Rochester than vice versa, but many more commute from further distances regularly per the Census numbers:

Rochester MSA
- total commuters from outside MSA (USA only) = 24,220
- commuters from Buffalo MSA = 3,736

Buffalo-Niagara MSA:
- total commuters from outside MSA (USA only) = 18,222
- commuters from Rochester MSA = 3,106

(Probably also a few hundred Canadians commute to Buffalo daily - Peace Bridge traffic is heavier into the US in the mornings, to Canada in the evenings (about 200-250 cars/hour difference during rush hours)

source:
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...ing-flows.html

Yes, my data actually was between Erie and Monroe counties. Not metro, but was a few years old.

The large number of commuters from outside the metro seems to make sense as Yates County was added to Rochester's metro about a year or 2 ago. It seems Rochester's sphere of influence is expanding. Genesee County always was part of the Rochester Metro until the Micropolitan areas were created. With Genesee, Buffalo and Rochester's Metros would be equal.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
I consider anything west of Syracuse and Interstate 81 to be Western New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area