Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:51 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times

Advertisements

There should definitely be some penalty for leaving the state entirely for retirement. Maybe a 15% reduction in pension or remove the taxation benefit. You're right though, there should be a serious discussion reension reform. If a teacher retires with a 60K pension and adds $20K from SS then that's a lot of money for a retiree. Doing the math, if you factor in a shorter contract year, benefit package, etc., then the total package works out to about $100K/yr. That's pretty good. Nationally it's much lower. However, considering that teachers free up significant numbers of mothers (or fathers) from child-rearing responsibilities during the day so that they can work jobs outside the house isn't trivial. Assuming a median income of roughly $60K and in a classroom each of the 30 kids has two separate parents. So 15 pairs of parents or 15 moms (or dads) freed up to work. Assume that number is roughly halved because of siblings and now you have 8 parents freed up to work or a net income of $480K. So, to cover the cost of the classroom, roughly 1/5th of the salary goes toward a teacher. Now taxes are lower than 1/5 of the salary because the burden is also shared by childless couples, retirees, etc. Is that too much to pay? I don't know the answer to this. Doesn't seem like you can lose by betting on education.
However, you are right to ask if you are getting the best allocation of resources with your tax dollars and everyone should be able to ask / verify this without impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Hello all. I currently live in South Carolina and my girlfriend lives in Hamilton, Ontario. (Long story). I used to live on Long Island for a long time. Moved to the south to be near my family and my father was sick. He has since passed.

I'm very interested in moving to the Buffalo area to be closer to my girlfriend. I'm looking to be no more than a three hour drive from Hamilton. Three hours is really pushing it. Maybe 2-2.5 hours. I'm looking at the little towns along Lake Erie as possibilities. Would be looking for a studio apartment or one bedroom at most. I guess my questions are:

Are there affordable apartments in this area?

Should I be looking somewhere else, maybe north of Buffalo?

What is the job situation like up there? I have 20 years experience working in health care clerical type work. I do courier type work now but would be interested in either.

I'm really not that familiar with the area. I plan on going up there in a couple months. (I just got back from a visit)

Any tips or advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
In regards to the 2.5 hours limit, to put this into perspective, you could live as far east as Victor(an exurb SE of Rochester). So, if you are fine with more occasional trips to Hamilton, the Rochester area would definitely be within that range as well.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In regards to the 2.5 hours limit, to put this into perspective, you could live as far east as Victor(an exurb SE of Rochester). So, if you are fine with more occasional trips to Hamilton, the Rochester area would definitely be within that range as well.
Keep in mind that it snows here and the 2.5 hour ride could be double that. CK has no first hand experience with the bridge delays and traffic and trip from Rochester to Hamilton would be a foolish choice IMHO.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Key word for you, OP. Again, this is just to illustrate what your range would be.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 AM

CK how many times have driven from the USA to Canada?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
CK how many times have driven from the USA to Canada?
Keep waiting.

The algorithm hasn't been set up to respond to questions yet.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
More apartment listings nearby/in the surrounding area: Apartments Niagara WNY -

So, say you are interested in this building in Lewiston: Village Glen - Apartments Niagara WNY

You can take a short walk or bike ride to this village business district: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1727...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

It would also be nice if you could find employment at this nearby hospital for a short commute:
https://www.chsbuffalo.org/mount-st-marys-hospital
https://www.chsbuffalo.org/careers
https://www.chsbuffalo.org/locations

So, that could be an option in that part of the area.

another set of buildings in the village: Artpark Apartments - Apartments Niagara WNY

You could also split the difference between the village of Lewiston and Downtown NF with a place like this in the DeVeaux neighborhood of NF near the NF/town of Lewiston border: Lafayette Townhomes - Apartments Niagara WNY
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1303...6!9m2!1b1!2i38
Census Block Group 020100-1 in Niagara County, New York
Another area complex: https://www.glendalecommunities.com/...at-blairville/

Old 08-10-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
More potential properties in the area: https://www.glendalecommunities.com/communities/

Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
More potential properties in the area: https://www.glendalecommunities.com/communities/
Are you programmed to post anything besides a one or 2 line generic statement followed by a link?

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Are you programmed to post anything besides a one or 2 line generic statement followed by a link?
I think its a bot. It never answers and just posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area