Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,901,771 times

Advertisements

What does Buffalo get out of this? No fans are allowed to attend, what is the return on the investment for the field upgrades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 11:14 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
^ What could have potentially occurs is if expansion ever came up again, Buffalo could be a possibility, if the upgrades could be put in place. I liken it to what happened with the former Seattle SuperSonics of the NBA, when New Orleans was recovering from Hurricane Katrina, they played games in Oklahoma City for a couple of years. They got such support to where when Seattle was looking to move, they moved to Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City as a metro isn’t much bigger than Buffalo and is smaller when you include the adjacent Niagara Ontario Region, let alone adjacent areas in NY. So, that may have been something to consider, even without people in the stands, as the facilities could have been updated to host a MLB franchise.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,261,500 times
U get the fantastic governor that’s what you get. He would like money

Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ What could have potentially occurs is if expansion ever came up again, Buffalo could be a possibility, if the upgrades could be put in place. I liken it to what happened with the former Seattle SuperSonics of the NBA, when New Orleans was recovering from Hurricane Katrina, they played games in Oklahoma City for a couple of years. They got such support to where when Seattle was looking to move, they moved to Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City as a metro isn’t much bigger than Buffalo and is smaller when you include the adjacent Niagara Ontario Region, let alone adjacent areas in NY. So, that may have been something to consider, even without people in the stands, as the facilities could have been updated to host a MLB franchise.
Saw a study a while back that said Buffalo already had way too many sports franchises for it's size, but that won't stop cuomo from dumping $100 million into the stadium

Last edited by JWRocks; 07-20-2020 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Saw a study a while back that said Buffalo already had way too many sports franchises for it's size, but that won't stop cuomo from dumping $100 million into the stadium
I wonder what they used for population for the study, given the metro’s small land area?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:33 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,901,771 times
I haven't followed baseball since 1995, the year of the players strike. I used to know every player, batting average, pitchers ERA etc now I could care less. There are 162 games which is an awful to to follow. Too bad they tore down the rockpile, it was far superior to this new stadium in terms of real history and distinctiveness. Just watch The Natural and you will see what I mean. The new stadium is boring and similar to many others, whereas War Memorial was unique. Too bad it couldn't be saved and expanded, it would have done a world of good for the neighborhood.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:35 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
If no fans are allowed to attend and all they are using Buffalo for is a stadium why even pick Buffalo? Why not just pick another city with a stadium available without even needing upgrades and one that is closest to the other teams they’re playing so they have to travel as little as possible?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If no fans are allowed to attend and all they are using Buffalo for is a stadium why even pick Buffalo? Why not just pick another city with a stadium available without even needing upgrades and one that is closest to the other teams they’re playing so they have to travel as little as possible?
Pittsburgh has come up and may be a possibility. I believe they would have to play games there when the Pirates are out of town.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:16 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,643 times
It’s Buffalo! Wonder how the view is from the parking ramp right across the street...

https://www.wivb.com/sports/toronto-...ign=socialflow

Old 07-25-2020, 05:43 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,261,500 times
You could have fans spread them out. What a joke it’s becoming. My mental health sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area