Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 11:25 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes it does get circulated. But a better word for that is, it is "spent". Once it's spent, it's gone. Some, in the form of sales taxes, and the employees doing the selling also pay taxes, but ultimately, it gets spent down until it's gone. Private money also, comes out of someones pocket.

Just because manufacturing as a sector may be shrinking, the fact is hundreds of thousands or millions of NEW manufacturing jobs are being created every year.

As far as the mismatch of skills, in Buffalo, for instance when the steel mills closed, it wasn't like someone could just go out and start a capital intensive business such as steel business. Buffalo has been behind in making those adjustments.

I didn't specify just manufacturing, I was referencing any "product" that can be produced locally, and bring fresh new money into the region.
Many of those manufacturing jobs do not require as many people and the fact still remains that manufacturing isn't what was in the past and what is left or created within the industry will require more education.training.

Buffalo has also been a banking/finance hub for decades and it also has a growing Life Sciences industry as well. There are also insurance companies based in the city/area too. So, it was and has been more than just heavy manufacturing(same goes for the other cities Upstate).

In terms of the last part of the post, that is where the start up scene comes into play and why 43 North is important. So, it gives people an outlet to start companies to do just that.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Film commissioners — and a lot of them — are coming to Buffalo: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/..._news_headline

Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
/\

Can you please reference something other than the Cheerleader Weekly who always has a well worded article to catch a readers interest. More often than not when you read their articles their is a large helping of speculation, supposition and guesswork that something may occur.

Even this event is largely due to its more influential neighbor "AFCI President Jessica Conopoli said that Buffalo was selected as the international location due to the amount of film production companies in New York State and, in part, because of Buffalo's proximity to Canada and the annual Toronto Film Festival"

But congrats to the city for hosting a 4 day event for 200 people...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 11-11-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 01:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Can you please reference something other than the Cheerleader Weekly who always has a well worded article to catch a readers interest. More often than not when you read their articles their is a large help of speculation, supposition and guesswork that something may occur.

Even this event is largely due to its more influential neighbor "AFCI President Jessica Conopoli said that Buffalo was selected as the international location due to the amount of film production companies in New York State and, in part, because of Buffalo's proximity to Canada and the annual Toronto Film Festival"

But congrats to the city for hosting a 4 day event for 200 people...
Have you ever read the print edition of Business First? It is not a Buffalo Rising or Buffalo Spree - it is a business journal that also includes some news articles and corporate announcements, along with statistical data on markets and performance, with the emphasis on Buffalo and WNY. Whenever I have looked at a copy, as recently as a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to me to be quite neutral. If I recall it was also well over 50 pages, with the overwhelming majority of its content being business-to-business related.

If you want to read the articles without signing up for a FREE account (up to 5 articles a month) you can also hit the X to stop loading content before it finishes and 9 times out of 10 read the article.

Here is some of what the article says:
Quote:
By James Fink – Reporter, Buffalo Business First

The Buffalo Niagara’s growing reputation for film and movie productions played a significant role in the Association of Film Commissioners International deciding to bring its annual “Cineposium” to the region next fall.

“Cineposium 2020” will be held at various sites between Sept. 16 and Sept. 19, with many of the more than 200 expected attendees making their way down from next year's Toronto Film Festival.

The opening night festivities will be held at the tip of Goat Island in Niagara Falls and include a fireworks display, said John Percy, Destination Niagara USA president and CEO.

The association selected the Buffalo Niagara region after an aggressive pitch by both Visit Buffalo Niagara, Destination Niagara USA, the City of Buffalo and Buffalo Niagara Film Commission.

“Everyone was incredibly supportive,” said Jess Conoplia, president of the Association of Film Commissioners.

The association rotates the annual conference, a key gathering among film commissioners and others in the movie industry, among several countries and continents. This year’s “Cineposium” was held in St. Petersburg, Russia.
https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/..._news_headline

Here is the Cineposium web site:
https://afci.org/afci-news/events/afci-cineposium-2020/

Buffalo should be congratulated when it is able to take advantage of opportunities like this when they occur. There have been too many lost opportunities in the past.

Last edited by RocketSci; 11-11-2019 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 02:21 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many of those manufacturing jobs do not require as many people and the fact still remains that manufacturing isn't what was in the past and what is left or created within the industry will require more education.training.

Buffalo has also been a banking/finance hub for decades and it also has a growing Life Sciences industry as well. There are also insurance companies based in the city/area too. So, it was and has been more than just heavy manufacturing(same goes for the other cities Upstate).

In terms of the last part of the post, that is where the start up scene comes into play and why 43 North is important. So, it gives people an outlet to start companies to do just that.

Yes, once again, NEW manufacturing jobs can, and are being created. Even where many are going away, new jobs are being created in automation, and the machines that replace jobs still need to be maintained. There's also precision manufacturing, and also what is rapidly growing is remanufacturing.

I'm not sure what you mean by a banking hub? You mean M&T and a few call centers and debt collectors that have contracts with banks? Maybe a few years ago when there was HSBC and First Niagara too. Most cities with a research college have growing life sciences.

Just trying to say, they are going in the right direction, but years behind. Buffalo spent a lot of time drooling over a new Peace Bridge, Adephia Tower, Major League Baseball, and other silver bullets. Spending billions only helps a little. The growth and tranformation needs to be organic.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:25 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

Buffalo should be congratulated when it is able to take advantage of opportunities like this when the occur. There have been too many lost opportunities in the past.

Absolutely, Buffalo has been getting a lot of love from multiple sources of media. People naturally want to come and see for themselves.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Have you ever read the print edition of Business First? It is not a Buffalo Rising or Buffalo Spree - it is a business journal that also includes some news articles and corporate announcements, along with statistical data on markets and performance, with the emphasis on Buffalo and WNY. Whenever I have looked at a copy, as recently as a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to me to be quite neutral. If I recall it was also well over 50 pages, with the overwhelming majority of its content being business-to-business related.

If you want to read the articles without signing up for a FREE account (up to 5 articles a month) you can also hit the X to stop loading content before it finishes and 9 times out of 10 read the article.

Here is some of what the article says:

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/..._news_headline

Here is the Cineposium web site:
https://afci.org/afci-news/events/afci-cineposium-2020/

Buffalo should be congratulated when it is able to take advantage of opportunities like this when the occur. There have been too many lost opportunities in the past.
Which is exactly why I refer to it many times. It is pretty straight forward and as mentioned in the past, I use the Albany version, which is owned by the same exact company(ironically without the "cheerleader" comments). https://www.bizjournals.com/

https://www.acbj.com/brands/bizjournals

As you mention above, any opportunity the city/area gets is a good thing.

More...

Buffalo Niagara To Host International Cineposium Next Fall: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...-industry-afci

Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Quote:
Which is exactly why I refer to it many times. It is pretty straight forward and as mentioned in the past, I use the Albany version, which is owned by the same exact company(ironically without the "cheerleader" comments). https://www.bizjournals.com/

https://www.acbj.com/brands/bizjournals

As you mention above, any opportunity the city/area gets is a good thing.

More...

Buffalo Niagara To Host International Cineposium Next Fall: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bu...-industry-afci
Here is the Wiki about Biz Journals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...iness_Journals

They publish mostly articles favorable to the community they are serving. I occasionally read the Jacksonville Edition. They make money by selling advertising. If you want to read nice things about your city its great. I have never noticed a single reference to it in the Jacksonville Forum. Most of the really interesting stuff requires a paid subscription. I also notice links to it in my Google account, but unless they are free, I don't read them.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Quote:

Buffalo WAS a banking hub for decades. There was and is no longer: HSBC aka Marine Midland, Western Savings, Erie Saving Bank, Buffalo Savings Bank, Liberty National Bank and Bank of Buffalo. All that is left is M&T Bank. The rest of the banking presence is call centers and backroom support.

Liberty Bank. – Buffalo Stories Archives & Blog

https://buffaloah.com/a/main/424/ext/hist.html

Old 11-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Buffalo WAS a banking hub for decades. There was and is no longer: HSBC aka Marine Midland, Western Savings, Erie Saving Bank, Buffalo Savings Bank, Liberty National Bank and Bank of Buffalo. All that is left is M&T Bank. The rest of the banking presence is call centers and backroom support.

Liberty Bank. – Buffalo Stories Archives & Blog

https://buffaloah.com/a/main/424/ext/hist.html
Evans Bank, Bank on Buffalo, Bank of America, Five Star Bank, Key Bank, Citizens Bank and Northwest Bank still have offices in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area