Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Niagara Falls has any non-fancy motels that have low rates in the winter-time.

I am not going down there this year, but possible next year and am curious if they have any cheap motel corridors in the area?

Also do they have buses that go from Niagara Falls to Buffalo I have heard Buffalo has some nice pedestrian friendly neighborhoods and would like to see what they are like.

Being from the front range of Colorado which is touristy during the summer, I know alot of motel's drop their rates by 50% or more during the winter-time, I was wondering if Western New York is the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM

64 posts, read 364,755 times
Oh my goodness yes. You can get rooms in the $20-30 range easily. Check for any motel on Niagara Falls Blvd AKA 62.

As for buses, go to www.nfta.com for schedules and route info. You can definitely get a bus.

When staying in the Falls, there are some really rough ghetto areas you want to make sure to stay away from. I am not from the Falls myself, but I've noticed things tend to get ugly looking once you get west of 104/Portage Rd. They get worse as you head toward the Falls.

If you have a passport, you'd probably enjoy the Canadian side WAY more & it's much safer. Also, flights into Buffalo-Niagara airport are way cheaper than those into the little rinkydink airport just outside the Falls.

As for nice places to check out in Buffalo, you want to visit Elmwood Ave. As for visiting ANY of this stuff in the winter, I really wouldn't recommend it. Viewing the falls can be downright brutal because of the winds even to someone used to the weather. And the Elmwood strip in Buffalo does its annual death during the winter. By contrast, in the summertime you can literally walk up & down Elmwood and meet all kinds of interesting, friendly people just by simply being there & enjoying a relaxing day.

Another perk of visiting in the summer is the free concerts hosted downtown every Thursday in Lafayette Square. The schedule is posted in May & we get a lot of big name acts. Concerts are accessible by the train downtown. Check back for it: http://www.buffaloplace.com/aboutus/marketing/summerconcertseries.html (broken link)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times
Okay, all look at Niagara Falls Blvd. Not planning on going to the Buffalo area yet, but I plan on moving to Ohio and would like to see Buffalo and Toronto.

Ive heard about Elmwood Avenue also, I will have to check it out if I make it up there.

Thanks for the post, appreciate it.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 56,174 times
There are PLENTY of motels on Niagara Falls Blvd, running from the Erie County line at north Tonawanda all that way through Niagara County to the city. You will have no problem finding a place to stay in the winter. Summer on the other hand... Niagara Falls' main language is NOT English lol

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 24,697 times
Double check the lock on the door before going to bed in the falls good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area