Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

New York Governor Paterson seeks a federal bailout, calling it an "Economic recovery agenda"

Included in his request:

Quote:
*$500 billion in aid to states and working families,

*$250 billion for countercyclical programs such as Federal Medicaid Assistance Percentages (FMAP), unemployment insurance, food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and child care;

*$250 billion for flexible education block grants to states.

$300 billion for infrastructure investments, including funds for “ready-to-go” projects to rehabilitate and construct our transportation, water, schools, housing, broadband, and health information technology infrastructure, creating thousands of jobs in the near-term, and supporting economic development, public health and safety for decades to come; and funds for longer-term projects, which have transformative regional impacts, create green jobs, and support national goals for energy efficiency, environmental conservation and smart growth.
I'm no fool. NYS has been a neglected state for as long as I can remember, but Buffalo/upstate has been ignored much longer and I keep wondering how much will upstate benefit from generations of downstate governors?

I can support the NYS bailout, as long as it's going to cover the entire State of New York equally based on needs and not population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
So is this bailout for all states, or just those which have been fiscally irresponsible?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
So is this bailout for all states, or just those which have been fiscally irresponsible?
It's a "joining" of several governors seeking financial help from the federal government. Gov. Paterson is requesting for what was above quoted.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM

137 posts, read 316,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
New York Governor Paterson seeks a federal bailout, calling it an "Economic recovery agenda"

Included in his request:

I'm no fool. NYS has been a neglected state for as long as I can remember, but Buffalo/upstate has been ignored much longer and I keep wondering how much will upstate benefit from generations of downstate governors?

I can support the NYS bailout, as long as it's going to cover the entire State of New York equally based on needs and not population.
I hope if given the bailout NYS uses the money wisely. But knowing NYS I bet about 70% stays downstate. Which is a shame because not only Buffalo but a lot of other cities could use the money and would probably put it to better use.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
I don't think NYS should get a bail out per se, but it should get reimbursed in some manner due to the fact that it doesn't receive nearly as much federal aid as most other states.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 AM

58 posts, read 198,814 times
being in the healthcare industry i can tell you this right now....new york medicaid program is WAY too generous. hands out branded medications that cost 400-700 dollars as opposed to generics that are 50-100. i know in some cases it's necessary, but in many it's not.

that would be a good place to start cutting funds...

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think NYS should get a bail out per se, but it should get reimbursed in some manner due to the fact that it doesn't receive nearly as much federal aid as most other states.
The infrastructure funding is really needed especially in Buffalo & Niagara Falls.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If every state got reimbursed exactly 100% for what they paid, we could save a lot of money by just eliminating a big chunk of the federal government. (Many of the bureaucrats spend all day figuring out where money should be spent.)

Then the money wouldn't leave the state in the first place, and it wouldn't be subject to political games and frictional losses in DC.

But then I guess your argument would scale down to disparities in the way the state spends the money. Just like now: NYC versus the rest of the state.

You could eliminate that problem by ensuring that as much money as possible collected within a county doesn't leave the county.

But then towns and cities within counties could have an allocation not equal to their contribution.

Ultimately, what you get when you pursue this logic is that we should all keep much of our taxes ourselves, to spend how we like. Then every person has control.

Which is pretty much how the founders imagined the country would work.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM

275 posts, read 469,905 times
i agree with fedupny, infrastructure is really needed in buffalo and niagara falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area