Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times

Advertisements

I wandered around the area of Humbolt and Northland many times checking out a pretty rock home that was for sale on 401 Northland, next to a ransacked church. I went during the day as well as nightime. I may have been an oddity as I was the only white person around, but everyone was friendly. When I saw someone on the street, I asked them questions I would say 80% of the people were nice, 10% shy or nervous and 10% that were in bad shape - drugs, but they didn't say anything.

I really couldn't ascertain whether I would be safe if I actually lived in that neighborhood but the owner was a jerk. I had knocked on a few doors to see what the neighbors thought and one guy across the street said he was an experienced carpenter with references. I invited him to give me a guestimate but the owner freaked out. I hate to judge people on race but the owner was white and this guy Black and the owner had a real fit. It resulted in a somewhat lower offer on my part.

I relate this in part because there is an old firehouse for sale on Kehr and Winslow. I was never there but wonder if the two neighborhoods would be considered similar. When I asked about that area Kehr/Winslow Near Ferry/Grider practically everyone says STAY AWAY. Are they correct?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I wandered around the area of Humbolt and Northland many times checking out a pretty rock home that was for sale on 401 Northland, next to a ransacked church. I went during the day as well as nightime. I may have been an oddity as I was the only white person around, but everyone was friendly. When I saw someone on the street, I asked them questions I would say 80% of the people were nice, 10% shy or nervous and 10% that were in bad shape - drugs, but they didn't say anything.

I really couldn't ascertain whether I would be safe if I actually lived in that neighborhood but the owner was a jerk. I had knocked on a few doors to see what the neighbors thought and one guy across the street said he was an experienced carpenter with references. I invited him to give me a guestimate but the owner freaked out. I hate to judge people on race but the owner was white and this guy Black and the owner had a real fit. It resulted in a somewhat lower offer on my part.

I relate this in part because there is an old firehouse for sale on Kehr and Winslow. I was never there but wonder if the two neighborhoods would be considered similar. When I asked about that area Kehr/Winslow Near Ferry/Grider practically everyone says STAY AWAY. Are they correct?
I liked your outsider perspective a little better in the thread about Buffalo's supposed "affordability." You're right, the high taxes really do make property ownership a burden in WNY.

Here, I think you're a little off-base. If you're referring to this thread (http://www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...irehouses.html) maybe you were expecting us to tell you to "STAY AWAY" but that's not what I did. I touted the proximity to MLK park, but warned you that from an investment standpoint, the neighborhood is in a prolonged state of decline with no real hope of improvement. Lack of amenities and prevalence of crime (we're talking about regular holdups in the middle of the day) make it undesirable. And if you look like you're middle-class you're going to be a target. Having said that I know people who rent in the MLK park area and they are getting by. It's just not ideal.

This property you're talking about on Northland west of the 33 is a different story. It falls in the Hamlin Park Historic District, one of the largest preservation areas in the country, and home to mayor Byron Brown. This means people take care of their homes here. It's not like Allentown but it's pretty good. Additionally, this area is anchored by Canisius College, one of the only major investments on the east side. In fact, you'd be just outside the jurisdiction of Canisius Campus Safety (by like two blocks). If that's not enough to tell you, look at the difference in vacant lots between here and Northeast MLK park. Then look at the relative property values. The two properties may be only a mile apart but in my opinion the difference is noticeable.

I have trouble believing that the property owner at 401 northland was uneasy around black people, considering the demographics of this neighborhood. Doesn't it seem more likely that he was worried that your contractor was going to turn up some major problems with the house that he was hoping you wouldn't notice?

I just took a look at the house you're talking about on google street view. Looks like a beauty. How much did he want for it? I've often fantasized about buying one of the large homes over on Humboldt Pkwy, I really think I could learn to live with the highway noise.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM

414 posts, read 1,504,897 times
Quote:

Kehr is a pretty tough area. One of the worst sections in way of crime. If you want saftey you have to look elsewhere

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times
Mycrows I made that same post on [domain blocked due to spam] and yes many were rude about it -stay away. That firehouse is cute and cheap - I think 30k

Mike the owner was an absentee guy who had to come in and visit. He was really furious about- rambled on for 5 min or so. The carpenter guy was directly across the street -maybe a tad to the west.

They wanted $130k for the house - I think it was 7 bedrooms and 5 baths. If you look in the back there is a matching rock garage. inside the house needed lots of work and there was no electricity so hard to see all of it, that's why I wanted the guy across the street. Thought he would give me a good deal too because A he would be a neighbor B he could have done it in his spare time as I was in no rush and he would have no travel costs. The corner house guy was a professional remodeler too.

Notice that house has a nice looking deck, however it doesn't have a view of much besides the carpenter's house. Maybe you should knock on the door and ask about it. I think it was supposed to be a guest house for that college not far away. Originally it was part of the church and actually connected.

I really didn't negotiate with him- just was turned off by his attitude.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM

53 posts, read 157,812 times
My realtor told me there are no longer any good neighborhoods in Buffalo, only good streets. It's true. Look at West Ferry St and drive a 1/4-1/2 mile until it turns into East Ferry Street. You'll understand what I'm talking about. Home shopping in Buffalo can be a challenge. The South Buffalo area is populated by old Irish and getting smaller by the year from the encroaching city blight. They tend to, shall we say, be somewhat "guarded" around African Americans.

The suburbs listed like Amherst, Hamburg and Orchard Park are sky high tax areas with annual assessments that will make your eyes water. School taxes are often higher than property taxes and combined taxes can be more than your mortgage payment. Don't give up on the city, just shop around and don't listen to the real estate sales people who say this area is great for property values. It's NOT! The area is in decline, the entire county and state have negative population growth. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 83,962 times
i would just avoid the whole city. there is zero economy, lotsa crime, and bad schools.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,504,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShizit View Post
i would just avoid the whole city. there is zero economy, lotsa crime, and bad schools.
Really? Thats a great statement for someone who needs to convince themselves they're not big failures.
If you are good you will find work anywhere. I've never been unemployed in Buffalo. The economy is chugging along just fine as opposed to the rest of the country.
Read the stats for crime and compare them against other cities before you make silly sweeping generalizations.

In short, bug off.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldinbuffalo View Post
My realtor told me there are no longer any good neighborhoods in Buffalo, only good streets. It's true. Look at West Ferry St and drive a 1/4-1/2 mile until it turns into East Ferry Street. You'll understand what I'm talking about. Home shopping in Buffalo can be a challenge. The South Buffalo area is populated by old Irish and getting smaller by the year from the encroaching city blight. They tend to, shall we say, be somewhat "guarded" around African Americans.

The suburbs listed like Amherst, Hamburg and Orchard Park are sky high tax areas with annual assessments that will make your eyes water. School taxes are often higher than property taxes and combined taxes can be more than your mortgage payment. Don't give up on the city, just shop around and don't listen to the real estate sales people who say this area is great for property values. It's NOT! The area is in decline, the entire county and state have negative population growth. Good luck.
Actually, the state's population has grown, not declined. It's not huge growth, but it is growing nonetheless.

There are still nice neighborhoods in Buffalo. North Buffalo, South Buffalo, Elmwood, Allentown, Riverside and parts of Black Rock, among others.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldinbuffalo View Post
My realtor told me there are no longer any good neighborhoods in Buffalo, only good streets. It's true. Look at West Ferry St and drive a 1/4-1/2 mile until it turns into East Ferry Street. You'll understand what I'm talking about.
Sounds like your realtor is a moron. The well-to-do part of Ferry St (let's say, conservatively, from linwood to richmond) is surrounded by other well-to-do streets (highland, lexington, cleveland, auburn, elmwood, ashland, norwood). This concentrated area of well-maintained properties forms, you guessed it: a very desirable neighborhood.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Mycrows I made that same post on [domain blocked due to spam] and yes many were rude about it -stay away. That firehouse is cute and cheap - I think 30k

Mike the owner was an absentee guy who had to come in and visit. He was really furious about- rambled on for 5 min or so. The carpenter guy was directly across the street -maybe a tad to the west.

They wanted $130k for the house - I think it was 7 bedrooms and 5 baths. If you look in the back there is a matching rock garage. inside the house needed lots of work and there was no electricity so hard to see all of it, that's why I wanted the guy across the street. Thought he would give me a good deal too because A he would be a neighbor B he could have done it in his spare time as I was in no rush and he would have no travel costs. The corner house guy was a professional remodeler too.

Notice that house has a nice looking deck, however it doesn't have a view of much besides the carpenter's house. Maybe you should knock on the door and ask about it. I think it was supposed to be a guest house for that college not far away. Originally it was part of the church and actually connected.

I really didn't negotiate with him- just was turned off by his attitude.
Yeah, it sounds like he was an *******. I'd be surprised if he sold it for anywhere near that--130k is much too high for that block in my opinion, even if the place were already fully renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area