Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM

12 posts, read 25,522 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
Thanks for the good information. I am hoping to enroll my boys (11 and 8) in some summer day camps in the Essex/Williston general areas so they can meet some local kids before they start at their new schools in the fall. They would probably be game for just about anything, but I know for sure they will enjoy sports, theatre/art, as well as more traditional camps (ie. swimming, games, nature, etc.).
Any tips on fun day camps with local kids?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
Both towns' rec departments run very good summer camps, and have special themed camps too. Essex Junction has the most choices by FAR. Williston's is good too, just fewer themed choices. What's nice is non-residents can take advantage of each for a slightly higher fee. In a typical summer, my kids go to Williston's day camps for a few weeks and then take a camp here and there at St Mike's, Catamount Outdoor Center, Burlington Y, etc.

Williston: http://www.town.williston.vt.us/vert...ummer_2013.pdf

Essex Junction: Essex Junction Recreation and Parks - Camp Maple Street - Essex Junction Recreation and Parks (NOTE, the regular day camp is already full. Hunt around on the site to find the themed camps)

p.s. If you are considering Essex for buying a home, make sure to track what's going on at IBM. With layoffs and declining revenue, the tax base could shrink substantially, as could home values. It's tough though because they do have very good schools and have their own high school, whereas Williston's is part of a regional system so the school is 20 minutes away.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
Also, if you haven't found this site yet: findandgoseek.net, I highly recommend it for researching what's around for kids. It's very thorough and there are a lot of parent reviews. A local mom started it a few years ago and it's based just on this area.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM

12 posts, read 25,522 times
Momnh appears to have hit the nail on the head in regards to IBM. I'm wondering what peoples specific thoughts are about how it will impact the area. Obviously the tax base will take a hit. What services do you see going first and what do you see as the impact on the schools? Short/ Long term values of homes?

Would this keep you from moving with kids to Essex?

How many of these employees live in Essex versus surrounding towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT