Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 AM

13 posts, read 53,174 times

Advertisements

I'm a CVICU nurse at Duke in North Carolina, and I'm thinking of relocating myself and the family to Burlington. Duke is great for experience (I lived and worked as an RN in south FL before NC), but I took a big salary hit when I moved out of South FL. I was wondering what the salaries are like in Burlington, cost of living, etc. My wife is from the northeast (CT), so she wouldn't mind the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,864 times
Nursing salaries in VT are on the low side, about half of metro Boston/NY. Cost of living in Burlington is on the expensive side. Look before leaping.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 122,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Nursing salaries in VT are on the low side, about half of metro Boston/NY. Cost of living in Burlington is on the expensive side. Look before leaping.
I was told by a doctor at UVM that nursing salaries are better there than elsewhere in the state, because the nurses are unionized, which they are not down here in the Dartmouth region? True or false? We are also looking to relocate to Burlington for nursing, for my husband, but we are already used to the low-wage, high-cost-of-living issues here in VT!!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:40 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,667,443 times
The nurses are unionized at FAHC in Burlington. The salaries are based on a step scale. This looks at years of service and years of experience. My wife has 12 years at FAHC in the SICU/PICU and is in the mid thirties without differentials. I came in with outside experience and due to the outside experience my salary was more than someone who was a life long employee with the same years experience. Look at Fletcher Allen Health Care | Academic Medical Center in Burlington, Vermont | Home to see job postings or call human resources for more info.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 AM

13 posts, read 53,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The nurses are unionized at FAHC in Burlington. The salaries are based on a step scale. This looks at years of service and years of experience. My wife has 12 years at FAHC in the SICU/PICU and is in the mid thirties without differentials. I came in with outside experience and due to the outside experience my salary was more than someone who was a life long employee with the same years experience. Look at Fletcher Allen Health Care | Academic Medical Center in Burlington, Vermont | Home to see job postings or call human resources for more info.
Good to know. I'm interested in working for a unionized unit, having been a union employee before nursing. Any idea how big/busy the CVICU is and if they have a life flight unit based there? THANKS!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 AM

7 posts, read 41,752 times
Default I just got an offer from Fletcher Allen...

I am also relocating from NC to VT. I found that the salaries there to be better than in NC. The range is from 24.71-30 something per hour and since I only have 2 yrs expericence they offered 26.50. their shift diff is good too.
I also got an offer from Porter at 24.71. My husband as a new grad got offered the $25 per hour at Fletcher Allen, and only $20 per hour at the Host at St. Albans.
I know that the cost of living is higher there, but really not by too much.
good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT