U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 21,112,697 times
Reputation: 5033

Advertisements

My in-laws make enough money off of Ebay to cover their yearly property taxes. They live in New Jersey so that's not pocket change. They put a lot of work into it though; it's not easy money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,571,152 times
Reputation: 3587
I knew a couple here and what they used to do for extra cash is go to storage place auctions where there are usually few bidders when the auction off stuff from storage places where people did not pay the rent. They would buy some of the stuff and resell it on Ebay and they did pretty decent for a long time but as Ebay increased the fees and more pople got into it, they made less and less and finally decided it was not worth the time of effort to do it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,558,798 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Hello. Anyone actually making above average money through ebay? It seems like it would be difficult now, due to the heavy competition. I assume the key would be to find some nice niche products so that you won't have the above mentioned competition.
I've lived off of internet sales for 4 years now. Doing rather well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,202,604 times
Reputation: 22269
Default Tell us more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've lived off of internet sales for 4 years now. Doing rather well.
That is wonderful! I wish you would tell us more about the type of thing you are doing! I would like to be doing some of this myself. Can you share more info? What type of product? Are you selling on ebay or off your own website?

My son, a college student, says one of his friends is helping finance his education selling electronics on ebay and is doing very well! So I am sure it can be done . . . maybe I am just not original enuff to figure this out . . . I know there is money to be made w/ the right product and marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,558,798 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is wonderful! I wish you would tell us more about the type of thing you are doing! I would like to be doing some of this myself. Can you share more info? What type of product? Are you selling on ebay or off your own website?

My son, a college student, says one of his friends is helping finance his education selling electronics on ebay and is doing very well! So I am sure it can be done . . . maybe I am just not original enuff to figure this out . . . I know there is money to be made w/ the right product and marketing.
I sell on a couple of websites, the product I wont disclose at the moment for numerous reasons but I'm actually considering expanding into allowing others to sell the products for me, and I would become a distributor. I've been thinking the process through and how to use what I've been doing, to expand the business to allow others to sell for me. I can do $20,000 a week in sales, with just me and the gf as an employee on one website, so there is pleanty of work to go around.

The thought process I've been having lately is I would find several sellers that would sell for me, I would ship them the products as they sell meaning that no one would have to hold inventory, and I would pickup volume discounts (which I've been fighting to take advantage of) because of multiple sellers. I wouldnt want to disclose it here because I wouldnt want to be accused of spamming the site, and because even me disclosing it here would be premature as I'm not ready to have other sellers sell for me.

Ebay isnt a suggested website (for my products at least) because of their fee structure. I do sell there, but I try to stay away from there. Currently I have a dozen pc's running, and 4,234,581 products (at this moment). Ebay is not the site to be selling in volume because their fees pile up to fast. There are better sites, but it depends on what your selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
 
Location: China
6 posts, read 8,017 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I sell on a couple of websites, the product I wont disclose at the moment for numerous reasons but I'm actually considering expanding into allowing others to sell the products for me, and I would become a distributor. I've been thinking the process through and how to use what I've been doing, to expand the business to allow others to sell for me. I can do $20,000 a week in sales, with just me and the gf as an employee on one website, so there is pleanty of work to go around.

The thought process I've been having lately is I would find several sellers that would sell for me, I would ship them the products as they sell meaning that no one would have to hold inventory, and I would pickup volume discounts (which I've been fighting to take advantage of) because of multiple sellers. I wouldnt want to disclose it here because I wouldnt want to be accused of spamming the site, and because even me disclosing it here would be premature as I'm not ready to have other sellers sell for me.

Ebay isnt a suggested website (for my products at least) because of their fee structure. I do sell there, but I try to stay away from there. Currently I have a dozen pc's running, and 4,234,581 products (at this moment). Ebay is not the site to be selling in volume because their fees pile up to fast. There are better sites, but it depends on what your selling.
Accidentally came into this forum. I took more time to browse these days and found many kind persons sharing their good ideas and help, great place! Meanwhile, I learnt much more from here
I am from China, liking English and American culture, though I am still not very good at this nice language
Hi, pghquest, I am not sure if you have interest in importing your products from China to sell? If so, I am glad to help you. For example, to select some good factories, to check and control the quality, communicate and negotiate with them and so on. I am graduated from Univercity with major international economy and trade business, and know foreign trade well. And my email is Janlymy@gmail.com
Sorry, I am not spamming here, if there is nothing, never mind, please do not care, and ignore my words here. Thank you, hope everything are going well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top