Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:38 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times

Advertisements

I worked with a guy about 10 years ago that sold female personal massagers over ebay. Apparently based upon the description he could get around the whole sex toy restriction. He also said they sold like hot cakes. He hand an entire room in his house dedicated to the storage shipping and packaging of these massagers. He made quite the pretty penny of em too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 02:54 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I worked with a guy about 10 years ago that sold female personal massagers over ebay. Apparently based upon the description he could get around the whole sex toy restriction. He also said they sold like hot cakes. He hand an entire room in his house dedicated to the storage shipping and packaging of these massagers. He made quite the pretty penny of em too.
Most vibrators these days are sold as "personal massagers" and allowed on mainstream sites and in mainstream categories. Even if something is an outright sex toy eBay has an adult section which does HUGE numbers anyhow. Not many people realize they have this category but tens of millions of dollars per week in adult stuff is sold on eBay.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Sorry if this has been covered, but what if a buyer says they never received the product and demand a refund? How do I know they are telling the truth?. I would guess most won't lie about this, but if the item is not returned to my return address, then something odd has happened. Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Why do we have to wait a quarter before we can spend our Ebay bucks? I mean we get it once we buy an item , but have to wait another 3 months before we can use it. Also, i noticed that if you buy anything on a day where Ebay bucks is promoted whether 6, 8, or 10%....you will likely receive more Ebay bucks offers down the road.

On a different note, i've been told that you can check out the outlet Goodwill stores and garage sales in wealthy neighborhoods for items to resell. Not sure how to tell the difference between a normal Goodwill store vs. an outlet one.

Last edited by JL; 05-08-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but what if a buyer says they never received the product and demand a refund? How do I know they are telling the truth?. I would guess most won't lie about this, but if the item is not returned to my return address, then something odd has happened. Thoughts?
You should be creating and paying for your shipping labels though Ebay and Paypal. Not only do you get discounts but you get free delivery confirmation. Once that confirms it was delivered the buyer has zero claim that it did not arrive. I just shipped a large 9 pound item to Illinois for only $11.22 with free tracking.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I received an item purchased on eBay that arrived in worse condition than the stated item condition. I emailed the seller about the condition of the item received and subsequently opened a return request via eBay. After more email correspondence with the seller, I agree to accept a partial refund. I received an email from PayPal earlier today stating that the seller has refunded my credit card with a partial refund. I did not use Paypal to pay for the item. I used the credit card I have on file with eBay to pay for the item. The email from PayPal does correctly indicate the last four numbers of my credit card. When should I close the return request on eBay? Should I wait until the funds have been credited back to my credit card account (not sure how long that takes). Should I close the return request and assume that my credit card will be refunded and there is no way for the seller to cancel or reverse the partial refund? If I wait too long to close the return request, will it automatically go to the next step in the return process, which essentially has been voided, since the issue was settled with a partial refund? Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
It depends on if the seller is using the automatic returns process offered by ebay. If the return request / dispute was automatically closed, you don't have to do anything. If it was not, and the dispute is still open, you should wait until you see the credit on your card, and then close the dispute. You can see if it is still open by going to the item in your 'buying' page and clicking on the menu. It should say something like "open cases". It will give you the option to close it.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Most vibrators these days are sold as "personal massagers" and allowed on mainstream sites and in mainstream categories. Even if something is an outright sex toy eBay has an adult section which does HUGE numbers anyhow. Not many people realize they have this category but tens of millions of dollars per week in adult stuff is sold on eBay.

eBay cleverly obscures their Adult Only section within the vague Everything Else label, which also includes categories like Funeral & Cemetery, Genealogy, Metaphysical, and Weird Stuff.

The only reason I was aware eBay had an Adult Only category is that in their early days, they had a "Risque" magazine category (subcategory of Books-->Magazines) where Playboys and such were sold - and it was only after two or three years they created the Adult Only category and restricted access to it.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Why do we have to wait a quarter before we can spend our Ebay bucks? I mean we get it once we buy an item , but have to wait another 3 months before we can use it. Also, i noticed that if you buy anything on a day where Ebay bucks is promoted whether 6, 8, or 10%....you will likely receive more Ebay bucks offers down the road.

On a different note, i've been told that you can check out the outlet Goodwill stores and garage sales in wealthy neighborhoods for items to resell. Not sure how to tell the difference between a normal Goodwill store vs. an outlet one.

Wasn't there originally a quarterly MINIMUM of eBay Bucks you needed in order to get a rebate you could spend? e.g. I think you needed to 'earn' $5 in a quarter, and if you earned only say $4, you didn't get any rebate for that quarter. So I think eBay Bucks were designed to get people to keep spending ENOUGH every quarter. (A lot of people would spend a little more near the end of a quarter if they had $4 in eBay Bucks which would soon go away, but could get back $5 by simply spending a few more dollars now.)

the Goodwill outlet stores are HUGE and often informally called "the bins". I'm guessing that if you googled that, your nearest local outlet store would be listed. Medium/large cities should have one big outlet store and when you see one you'll know it's not your ordinary neighborhood Goodwill store.

Those color-coded tags on Goodwill items track items through a multi-week sales process, unsold items eventually get to the "half-off" color of the week and if they are STILL unsold at the end of that week, they end up in "the bins" at an outlet store. Tons and tons - literally - of clothes end up in the bins, where they are sold in bulk by the pound. So if you visit an outlet store, most of what you see will be clothing.

p.s. and yes, at a Goodwill outlet store, there are NO clothing racks, just rows and rows of huge bins.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You should be creating and paying for your shipping labels though Ebay and Paypal. Not only do you get discounts but you get free delivery confirmation. Once that confirms it was delivered the buyer has zero claim that it did not arrive. I just shipped a large 9 pound item to Illinois for only $11.22 with free tracking.

If an item arrives and you never receive it, you're hosed.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:11 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times
I purchased an item on June 8 and have not received it yet. The estimated delivery date indicated June 16th and according to the listing, the shipping was to be via USPS first class mail. No tracking information was uploaded or provided for this item. When should I contact the seller and should I ask "Have you shipped the item?" or "When did you ship the item?"

Is it a red flag (i.e. too good to be true--will the seller even ship the item?) for a buyer when a seller is selling media items for around a $2 buy it now price with free shipping? I'm assuming whether first class mail or media mail that it probably costs about $2 to ship a Dvd or CD, so how can the seller be making any profit with this approach and why would they sell items for a break even or a loss at a buy it now price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business