Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
As for the global thing seems like a great program, you get to appeal to international customers while limiting your exposure to the problems of fraud and lost packages by shipping to ebay and ebay doing the forwarding.
Three experiences with that.
1. The buyer was a contractor in the Middle East and his Ebay - Paypal address was in Kentucky.
As far as I know he got the item as I was only required to pay the shipping to the Kentucky address. The postage was no where near enough to get it to the other country.
2. The buyer was in the Ukraine and his address was in Delaware. The item had a tracking number. The item was unable to be delivered on September 14th and a notice was left. The item remained undelivered for close to two weeks. The buyer said he could not go pick the item up at the post office because he was actually in Ukraine. I called Ebay and was assured that I was opted out of the global shipping, and the fact that my Ukraine buyer had a U.S. address prevented me from not selling to them.
3. The buyer was in Saudi Arabia and I went ahead and shipped to them. They had good feedback and that was the address on their Paypal account. I was opted out of the global shipping program on that sale as well.

I'm opted out, but 2 and 3 both happened any way.

Both 2 and 3 the listings show that I only ship to the USA but buyers in Ukraine and Saudi Arabia were still able to bid and win. The Ukraine, I never heard anything from anyone, the item never came back to me, the buyer did not file a claim, and no feedback received.
Saudi Arabia that item has not had enough time to get there, or to not get there. I was reluctant to ship the item due to the very complex address and the fact that my listing said U.S. sales only.

Those in other countries who use shipping services to have a U.S. address can bid and win and pay and Ebay's global program does not help the seller. You can not avoid selling to them and if their shipping forwarding service is unreliable, then.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I have a question. Where do the eBay sellers get their products? And how do I get some product to re-sell? I mean, where do I go?
I buy from eBay a lot because when I search it's usually cheaper. Thank you.
Nobody is going to reveal their specific sources, but - in general you can look at thrift stores, closeout sales, government lot auctions, stores going out of business, storage unit auctions, etc.
One tip - sell what you know, what you like, and what interests you. Otherwise it will get boring real fast.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
Quote:
I have a question. Where do the eBay sellers get their products? And how do I get some product to re-sell? I mean, where do I go?
I buy from eBay a lot because when I search it's usually cheaper. Thank you.
depends on what products you're talking about
but anyone with a good source isn't saying **** to anyone about it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,512 times
Well, SOMEBODY has to talk else there wouldn't even be a eBay. But thanks for replying.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Well, SOMEBODY has to talk else there wouldn't even be a eBay. But thanks for replying.
Nobody is going to talk about where they get their stuff. I did over 200k a month on ebay for the past 3 months and not a chance in hell I'd tell anyone what I'm selling or wehre I get my merchandise. Why would I so you can hop on ebay and try to compete with me?

Anyone with a halfway decent supply of stuff is not going to share where they get it, add to that not only will they not tell you where they buy their merchandise but they won't even share with you what their niceh is. Why? because they would be inviting competition and who wants competition when they can make that money themselves. It's common sense. Also, any program that heavily advertises they can get you wholesale merch isn't worth going through because if you found out about them so did 1,000 others who are selling the same stuff.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Why did eBay take away negative feedback options for sellers? I used to sell on eBay, but once this was removed, I quit selling on eBay.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Why did eBay take away negative feedback options for sellers? I used to sell on eBay, but once this was removed, I quit selling on eBay.
Because too many sellers were abusing it and that turned off the buyers. I've been on ebay for about 14 years and have lived through the changes, am a power seller but not a big time seller.

Some of the ebay groups I am in would discuss their selling experiences and someone would just say "NEG 'em". Leave them a big fat negative. I never did that to a buyer, I usually left positive and tried to find the good in them. I may have left a few neutrals if they were really horrible, like not paying.

Instead of negative feedback we now have blocked buyer lists. In my particular group we have our own private list but I know some of the seller discussion boards have their own lists and you can just go in there and copy it into the space ebay has given us for blocked bidders. Then they cannot bid on your listings.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I only left negatives for negatives I received.

Sellers can no longer leave a negative because Ebay is all about the money in their pocket.
How does Ebay make their fees?
It sure is not through all the free listings they give each month on the first day of the month as well as specials along the way.
Buyers are the only ones that make money for Ebay. If they do not buy and create "final value fees" or do not come back and do not get ALL positive feedbacks, they may go away.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
sure but not being able to leave worthless buyers also frustrates sellers and causes some of them to leave and less things to get sold
additionally if a buy doesnt pay for an item ebay doesnt make money

Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:

1. eBay Changing Their Feedback System – And Not For The Better
Yes, eBay is about to change their feedback system again –and as before probably not for the betterment of sellers.
The basic change is that eBay will no longer allow sellers (us) to see comments in the buyer’s feedback or see what the buyer has purchased in the past. In other words – no more transparency; all we will be able to see is the score.
Another change is that eBay will no longer allow sellers to see a buyer’s identity on their feedback page – it appears eBay doesn’t want sellers to know anything about bidders and prospective buyers. So that begs the question why not just do away with the feedback program.
The dust had barely settled on this when word leaked out of eBay that eBay was thinking of doing away with the feedback percentage score and replacing it with a new metric of some kind.
When eBay started feedback was a two-way street. Both buyers and sellers could leave feedback for each other. In the very early days of eBay, no one thought that total strangers would buy from each other and send money in the mail to someone they didn’t know and that person would actually send the merchandise. Feedback created a way to establish a reputation on the platform that would lead to trust. And it worked!
Then after Whitman left, they decided to stop allowing sellers to leave anything other than positive feedback for buyers. The system went downhill from there and it looks like it’s still headed in that direction.
This action is coupled with recent moves by eBay to remove small sellers.

Ebay's November Newsletter
http://www.skipmcgrath.com/newsletters/current.shtml

Last edited by howard555; 11-11-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business