Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Major holidays often interfere with 'normal' shipping schedules, and especially holiday weekends. Someone traveling over a long weekend might have taken Friday off and left town, planning to return Monday to catch up on shipping etc. Sellers should certainly let you know ahead of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if the item ships today (Monday) or even Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I'm back with another shipping issue/question. Bought an item on July 2. Listing said usually ships within 1 business day. There have been no shipping updates sent to me at all from the seller. I don't know if the seller shipped the item or not. The listing said delivery by July 8. Is the seller required to send me shipping/tracking info or is that optional?
If you go to your PayPal account, can you see if it has a button that says track this item?

Freemkt is correct about holiday purchases. Many businesses were closed on Friday July 3rd for the holiday, the Post Office was closed Saturday July 4th. So 1 business day from July 2nd could truly be Monday July 6th, which if shipped Priority Mail, would be delivered July 8.

And if you ordered July 2nd in the evening after normal business hours, you could argue that 1 business day would actually be the 7th, today, since they wouldn't have seen your purchase until they went to work again on Monday.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:46 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
I seem to be having back luck with shipping issues. I paid for an item to be sent by first class mail on October 18. According to the tracking section on the USPS website, the seller sent the pre-shipment info to USPS on October 21. The package was picked up on October 23 and arrived at a USPS Origin Facility on October 24. Expected delivery day was October 26. Today is October 29 and no package. There have been no updates since October 24 (five days ago). Is no tracking info in five days a periodic occurrence or rare?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:09 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
I seem to be having back luck with shipping issues. I paid for an item to be sent by first class mail on October 18. According to the tracking section on the USPS website, the seller sent the pre-shipment info to USPS on October 21. The package was picked up on October 23 and arrived at a USPS Origin Facility on October 24. Expected delivery day was October 26. Today is October 29 and no package. There have been no updates since October 24 (five days ago). Is no tracking info in five days a periodic occurrence or rare?
The seller can not win a claim by you through Ebay or Paypal unless the tracking number shows it was delivered. Even if you never got it. The tracking number is the important factor now.
The post office will not even let the seller file a lost item form for 21 business days. You are into that period by only 6 days if it was mailed on the 21st.
Also we have shipped packages and the tracking showed nothing even after it was delivered, so the postal site can be behind on the tracking details.

You'll get the package eventually or a full refund because the seller can not prove delivery. Either way you are covered.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The seller can not win a claim by you through Ebay or Paypal unless the tracking number shows it was delivered. Even if you never got it. The tracking number is the important factor now.
The post office will not even let the seller file a lost item form for 21 business days. You are into that period by only 6 days if it was mailed on the 21st.
Also we have shipped packages and the tracking showed nothing even after it was delivered, so the postal site can be behind on the tracking details.

You'll get the package eventually or a full refund because the seller can not prove delivery. Either way you are covered.

Thank you for the explanation. Hypothetically, could the seller have shipped the package via media mail instead of first class and hence, the delay in tracking? The contents of my package do not qualify for media mail. If the post office opened up the package and found the contents did not qualify for media mail, would it be returned to the seller and the tracking info updated as such eventually? Just trying to think of all the possibilities.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
The tracking number should identify the shipping method if you enter the tracking number into the usps website
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input
It's called "Postal Product"

Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. Hypothetically, could the seller have shipped the package via media mail instead of first class and hence, the delay in tracking? The contents of my package do not qualify for media mail. If the post office opened up the package and found the contents did not qualify for media mail, would it be returned to the seller and the tracking info updated as such eventually? Just trying to think of all the possibilities.
You are 6 days into a lost package claim. Allow 15 more "business" days which is 3 weeks.
Yes it could have been sent media by mistake.

The bottom line is you'll get the package or a refund. No worries unless you needed the item by a certain date. The seller does not control the delivery of mail though.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I would not depend on any sort of delivery date guarantee with First Class Mail. Priority Mail and Priority Express are the only ways we ship Post Office when people need items quickly and even then the post office can have delays.

I was at the PO yesterday, trying to find out why there was no tracking on 2 Priority Express packages I mailed the day before. No answers, no packages, I was told that they are probably on their way, just no scans anywhere. Really? Those ARE supposed to be trackable. I pay significantly higher prices for those. So I wouldn't be concerned or expecting any results with first class mail when they can't keep track of Priority Express.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I was told that they are probably on their way, just no scans anywhere. Really? Those ARE supposed to be trackable.
Every postal employee that handles the package is supposed to scan it. But as we know.....

Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I have a question. Where do the eBay sellers get their products? And how do I get some product to re-sell? I mean, where do I go?
I buy from eBay a lot because when I search it's usually cheaper. Thank you.
This question was asked two years ago, and of course no one answered, so not sure the point of having a Q&A if no one will answer the basic question.

From my understanding, as I know it can be done for Amazon, go to Ali Baba. Find your niche, find what you think would sell, go there, get the stuff made in bulk. You can even get labels for your business done on the packaging.

Why was that so hard to answer?

Yes, I'm sure that there are other suppliers, and maybe Ali Baba isn't the best one, but why not help someone out with SOMETHING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business