Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times

Advertisements

One of the fun things I learned in college is how to show the same data in different ways to try and prove your point.
For example, smoothing to show a trend rather than the years in question to show the ups and downs over that period. Compare this OPs graph to the one from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and note the different picture it paints from 2010-2014.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
One of the fun things I learned in college is how to show the same data in different ways to try and prove your point.
For example, smoothing to show a trend rather than the years in question to show the ups and downs over that period. Compare this OPs graph to the one from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and note the different picture it paints from 2010-2014.

I am so tired of these political cheerleaders. Thankfully the original post you are referring to has been removed but you are spot on regarding curve fitting the data.

The same thing (curve fitting data) can delude many people into making poor business decisions.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 AM

328 posts, read 434,729 times
This is a joke headline correct?

They killed 2,000 new high paying jobs by using the EPA to stop a new plant from being built in SC.

They killed a new manufacturing company that wanted to move back from Mexico to Ohio by forcing them to hire the "old" former workers of the plant that has been closed for 10 years. So they decided to stay in Mexico.

The list goes on and on.

Average pay down, welfare and social handouts up by large numbers.

Most people I know who were making 15-20 per hour and working 40 hours now are working either 20 hours or took pay cuts to keep their jobs.

Health care cost are up by large numbers eating even more of peoples hard earned money.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 AM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
I THINK DEMOCRATES ARE MORONS WITH NO IDEAS AND I THINK REPUBLICANS ARE MORONS WITH BAD IDEAS.

now having said that ,i think your view is very one sided.

there may be just as many folks not paying more for thesehealth plans than they were and many areas of the country are booming. i get no subsidy and may come in paying 5k less than i was with my exchange gold plan.

we have those tripod kind of signs out in the street looking for employees .

we can't find decent employees and most who are out of work are really un-employable.

they can't pass a drug test ,they can't pass a background check, credit reports come back horrible and we have not even gotten to their job skills.

the country consists of over 1500 mini economies so to speak about things in broad general terms is really just your own narrow view.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I cannot believe the OP.

The workforce participation rate is at a 36-year low. We're talking back to the Jimmy Carter days.

Don't believe me? Look at the BLS stats yourself:

Here's the problem. Unemployment statistics are based on people applying for unemployment benefits, et al. When those benefits run out, voila, they are no longer counted.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 AM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
hey stop that! you are letting facts get in the way of a good story.

my own opinion based on what i have seen is we are at an all time low having employable , good prospects for jobs.

the recession years let employers clean house of marginal employees. the last few years has snatched up many of the true casualty's that were good but unemployed.

more and more we are finding what is left are really unemployed for a whole host of reasons. not all ,but enough to really skew the numbers to make it look like their are no jobs or every job pays poorly.

i am blown away buy the offers i see made to my co-workers and myself from other competitors . the offers are insane and one of the reasons we are hiring is there has been a flow lately of good people that move from company to company as the offers get better. we lost quite a few people this year .

i see it with my own eyes that while employers had the upper hand for more than a decade and payed employees less than what the job should have got today the tide is turning.

suddenly it is becoming an employeee market for those working and best of breed as it is harder and harder for employers to find quality in the unemployed masses that are left.

everyone unemployed likes to think they are that best of breed and was let go ,but the fact is most are not .

they were let go because the company felt they could be let go when the downturn hit. no company loets its best of breed employees go in a downturn unless they are going out of business.

those that have that happen never see the light of day on the market as competitors snatch them up before they hit the job market..

when my company went out i went right back to work again and brought 3 top co-workers with me without missing a beat..

more and more that is what i see going on ,at least here in the tristate area.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-23-2014 at 03:31 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 PM

328 posts, read 434,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I cannot believe the OP.

The workforce participation rate is at a 36-year low. We're talking back to the Jimmy Carter days.

Don't believe me? Look at the BLS stats yourself:

Here's the problem. Unemployment statistics are based on people applying for unemployment benefits, et al. When those benefits run out, voila, they are no longer counted.

Liberals or left leaning people will not look at the facts knowing they voted for a job killing machine.

Someone I spoke with recently said in 2005 when they moved to my area the talk was about the 10-15 homeless people living under a bridge and in the woods. Now the talk is we have close to 500 or more doing so all over the city. Jobs have became scares, more homeless, more needy, more people who were doing well lost their homes and everything they had over the past 4-5 years.

No one in their right mind can honestly say anything has become better. Its in fact far worse then it has been in my lifetime other then the Jimmy Carter years.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:40 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,698 times
Bush was the Job Killing Machine!!! Clinton had the highest employment level of working age population of any president in US history & it was not due to republicans. Jobs were created at a much faster rate under Clinton & the Democrat congress than they after Republicans took over. Then Bush came along & destroyed 18 million jobs. Obama has restored 10 million jobs, in contrast to Bush destroying 18 million. Obama took Bush's 10% unemployment down to 5.9%. The only time Bush's unemployment was at that level is when it crossed through it as he turned Clinton's 3.8% unemployment into 10% unemployment.

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 11-01-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 07:25 AM

Niccolò Machiavelli would be proud of how Reagan, Bush 1 & 2 all promised to get the US off foreign oil, but did the exact opposite. They promised no more nation building, but did the exact opposite. They promised smaller government, but did the exact opposite. They promised to stop illegal immigration, but did the exact opposite. Obama has delivered on all of their promises they lied to US about, yet you people worship Reagan, Bush 1 & 2 & curse Obama.

US oil production declined the entire time Reagan, Bush 1 & 2 were in office & has increased the entire time Obama has been in office. This is because setback borders were eliminated for Eco-Pad drilling under Obama. This made new US oil drilling production economically viable by dropping the cost of production over $15 all the the way down to $58/barrel. Keystone pipeline Phase 1, 2, & 3 were done under Obama & he even "Fast Tracked" 3. These pipelines dropped the Bakken/WTI/Brent price spreads by $30/barrel. Republicans pound the media with BS about Obama blocking Keystone pipeline Phase 4, but in reality there was not a Bakken/WTI price spread again until this year proving a need for it. Yet prices have fallen the most this year without phase 4 because it would serve no part in the jobs or economic recovery. Republicans wanted Obama to confiscate private lands from US citizens when there was not a need to do so.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Clinton & Democrat congress reversed Bush 1 increasing deficit spending. Clinton turned it into a surplus to match the payroll tax SS surplus coming in building up to fund baby boomers retirements. Bush gave all the SS money to wallstreet, crashed the economy & exploded the deficit spending. This caused massive inflation. Under Bush Oil went up 1,000%, Gold up 600%, Houses up 200%, Food up 400%, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric all up 200% to 400%. The US dollar plunged over 50%

Obama has lowered deficit spending every year, thus lowering inflation & increasing the value of the US dollar.

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 11-01-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business