Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

It started a decade ago when the new chairman decided not to invest in the stores. Nobody wants to shop at a rundown place so they stopped coming. And the merchandise was targeted to your grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
It seems like I even buy my groceries via Amazon these days...

Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It started a decade ago when the new chairman decided not to invest in the stores. Nobody wants to shop at a rundown place so they stopped coming. And the merchandise was targeted to your grandmother.
This.

Merchandise that looks like it's straight out of 1995 stuffed in stores that look like they haven't been updated or cleaned since around the same time. Of course people stop going. Then there's less staff so even the people who want outdated crap from outdated stores get upset with the lack of service and they stop going too.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Last time I went to K-Mart, while I was next in line at the checkout, my cashier decided to have a personal conversation with another employee for approx 2-3 minutes. It was some teen stuff about hanging out with people and what they did the prior weekend. The cashier held up the line while they spoke loudly, as if the customers in line didn't exist. Also there wa a sale item that didn't ring up properly on prior visits and the workers didn't seem to care and just said "I don't know" and continued on as if that's the final answer.

Never went back and it's been a long time.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Eddie Lampert was the worst thing to happen to Sears/Kmart. The Sears/Kmart merger didn't help.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
It's coincidental because during the '80s I bought stock in both Sears and Kmart, believing both to be good investments in retail.

Years later I got out when the stock Finally reached what I paid for it.

I don't miss it, but I do miss the gains I could have realized had I made better investment choices.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:11 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I love the Sears at the mall near my house. It's still looking good and has product, and I believe is one of the few profitable ones. I love the appliance section, because it's three times as big as Home Depot, Lowes, or Best Buy, and they have guys in there that can actually answer questions. Just trying finding anyone at our Home Depot. I also like the kids' clothing and Lands End department. I so wish Sears would get its act together. It used to be a place where you could get good quality merchandise as a reasonable price, and now it doesn't seem to know what it is. They are apparently ruining their own products, competing with themselves online, and letting their stores deteriorate. I hope they pull through. I would hate to lose ours.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This.

Merchandise that looks like it's straight out of 1995 stuffed in stores that look like they haven't been updated or cleaned since around the same time. Of course people stop going. Then there's less staff so even the people who want outdated crap from outdated stores get upset with the lack of service and they stop going too.
Dockers business trousers(straight or pleats), Stafford short sleeve business shirts, Docker or any plain toe Oxfords. I wore that then. I wear it now.

You mean I am outta style.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:44 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This.

This pretty much sums it up. If you stop investing in your stores and product then people will stop coming. Every decent retailer knows it has to reinvent itself, its store design, and its brand strategy every 7 years or so to remain relevant. I don't think Sears/Kmart has done so in over 2 decades. Sears/Kmart is basically a real estate company now, as the only way they make any money is through the shuttering of stores and then the subsequent sale of the real estate on which they sat. It's been a long, slow, painful death for once great (or at least iconic in the case of Kmart) American retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business