Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM

186 posts, read 247,487 times

Advertisements

I know that NYC may top the recommendations , but the city stopped providing street food license , pr have to wait for years

I want to move to a city where ( Hotdog / Gyro) Pushcart business is very common and is working fine ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
I know that NYC may top the recommendations , but the city stopped providing street food license , pr have to wait for years

I want to move to a city where ( Hotdog / Gyro) Pushcart business is very common and is working fine ?
Ive heard Portland, Oregon has many street food vendors, but I've never been there personally. I'd look into any college town with a decent downtown or entertainment district.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:00 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I wouldn't try selling street food in an area where the weather was rainy and / or cold. It would work best in an area where customers want to sit outside to eat. It would also be much more pleasant for the push cart operator to not be standing outside in the snow or rain.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We have push cart vendors in Detroit. Not a lot of them maybe five or six. Some of them stay out in the winter, some do not. It is rainy a lot here, but they still seem to get customers. Maybe you could sell umbrellas and gloves or stocking caps too. "Hot dog and a hat $10."

When it is really cold, I am sure they ware not out - no one is. But supercold is usually only a few days each year.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:44 PM

317 posts, read 652,323 times
Here in Cedar City in southern Utah, a young couple looking to make ends meet started an open air pizza cart with a portable brick oven. It's a college town, but it snows here. The business took off and was at one point the top rated restaurant in the town- they were making dough from scratch and using quality ingredients. The brick oven would get hot enough that the orders cooked up in minutes. They were out there in all sorts of weather for years. They finally transitioned to a brick and mortar store front. The Pizza Cart is still very popular here. I think if you have the right product for the right customer base, it's a doable business model in a lot of places.

The Pizza Cart was located in a store parking lot before it became a brick and mortar restaurant. On really cold days, people would go into the store and shop while waiting for pizzas, so the store was happy to have the cart there. The good relationship with the local store allowed the cart to have a steady location, which I think helped.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Philadelphia PA is quite a walkable city. The beach towns in SoCal have lots of foot traffic. The Halal Guys have a brick and Mortar restaurant in Korea Town LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business