Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,224 times

Advertisements

Several college friends and I are planning to move out to Cali next summer and are trying to decide on an area near either LA or San Diego to live. We are trying to get internships in the cities but live in a beachy area with lots to do.

I'm worried about safety near San Diego but some areas around LA aren't clean/pretty. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 75,103 times
We're looking for the same sort of area, near LA (my husband would need to be close to LA for work). Thanks for posting this, can't wait to hear some suggestions!

Edited to add: My husband is in the audio field (live sound, but can do film and studio work as well). We're hoping to stay around $1500-$2k for rent (or less of course, if it is possible to find cheaper and still be in a safe area).

Last edited by Pariah; 06-18-2007 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Adding more info!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzermarie8 View Post

I'm worried about safety near San Diego but some areas around LA aren't clean/pretty. Any suggestions?
Interesting comment, as San Diego is a reasonably safe city.

You really need to mention in which fields are you looking for internships, and how much money you think you might have for rent.

Man, I feel like a broken record having to constantly repeat that last part.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM

I've just heard that crime is on the rise in Southern Cal. But I don't have anything to back that up, so I'm trying to research. Do you have anything that could help?

My friends and I are all business majors. We are looking for internships mainly in the marketing field. Although we can't land jobs a year in advance, we figure living near a big city would present opportunities.

There's 4-6 of us, so were were looking at places priced $1,700-2,500/month.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Win

32 posts, read 262,449 times
Try looking in Santa Monica. It's a great beach area and close enough to jobs in the LA area. I've been told that there are quite a few marketing jobs in the Santa Monica area too, but I can't confirm or deny that. Huntington Beach is also a happening spot but it's in Orange County (between LA and SD).

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I'd have to agree. For work in marketing you'll have better luck in LA/OC.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Several college friends and I are planning to move out to Cali next summer and are trying to decide on an area near either LA or San Diego to live. We are trying to get internships in the cities but live in a beachy area with lots to do.

In Los Angeles county, Long Beach would be your best bet hands down.
It has a wide wide range of rents...
Has a big city feel, but still maintains a 'beachy' casual feel as well...
Go check it out, and on your way through, travel through the downtown renovations area, then drive along PCH and Ocean Blvd, it kind of weaves in and out of both commerce and residential feel...
Probably the ONLY beach town still affordable....

and LOTS to do......... OH YEAH..... !!!!

City of Long Beach, CA - Homepage (http://www.ci.long-beach.ca.us/default.asp - broken link)
NOW IF THIS NEXT ONE DOESN'T MAKE YOU WANT TO FLYYYYYY OUT HERE IMMEDIATELY...... I dunno......:::::::::::::::
Long Beach California Vacation & Travel Center : Hotels, Attractions and Vacation Travel Planning

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I think Santa Monica and Long Beach are our best bets. Unfortunately, we can't visit ahead of time and we are looking online at places to sublease for the summer months.

I've visited Santa Monica before, but not Long Beach. The websites you showed me looked great. Can you compare/contrast the two?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. I think Santa Monica and Long Beach are our best bets. Unfortunately, we can't visit ahead of time and we are looking online at places to sublease for the summer months.

I've visited Santa Monica before, but not Long Beach. The websites you showed me looked great. Can you compare/contrast the two?

Bearing in mind that my comparison will be slightly subjective since I lived in Long Beach for 10 years and still miss it... LOL.....

Santa Monica:
more expensive overall...
ALSO: IMPORTANT!!! Santa Monica has rent control so people DO NOT BUDGE out of their rentals.... When and if they do, the landlord is then free to raise rents to reflect today's economy.... they can raise it while the current tenants are in it also but are limited to a low percentage based on whatever the rent was when the current tenant moved in....

Long Beach:
Long Beach actually faces southward and is a man-made harbor; hence your trip to the beach along the MAJORITY of the coastline is actually like a little bay... not the giant-astic waves you get at Orange County beaches and Santa Monica. I prefer it, some people may not.....

Long Beach:
Major university, major convention center with major concerts, world renowned aquarium, world renowned symphony orchestra...
Santa Monica:
None of the above....

Bear in mind, while Santa Monica has smaller artsy venues, Long Beach also does....

Santa Monica: $$$$$$$$$$
Long Beach: $$$$
I know I probably sound biased because I lived there, but all these things are also true.....
Have fun!!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Haha, subjective or not, it helps! Does anyone else have any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California