Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,729,120 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I have never been to CA, but hope to go one day. With that said, I've noticed alot of posters on this forum try to discourage people from moving out to california in thier lifelong pursuit of the American dream. Its no secret that the "American dream" has left most of the NE/Mid-Atlantic and Midwest, and moved south and west. So then why do californians(at least on C-D) think it better for people in declining states and cities to stay where they are at? Its like telling somebody to stay on a sinking ship.

Then you'll say: "But they have no job or no plan or no education and little money." Do you think everyone that landed on the shores of North Jersey in the begining of the 20th century had alot of money, a good job lined up, and an MBA?

Then you'll say:"But they'll end up homeless, and become a drag on society." Who are you to judge whether or not someone has what it takes to make it? Even if they do fail, and become homeless, at least they won't have to worry about freezing to death.

I think some people have been in Cali for too long, and have either become spoiled or forgotten about the plight of some of the other people throughout this country. California is not perfect, but there is no perfect place. Some californians on this site seem to forget that for all its ills, it is still one of the most desireable states to live in. Everything from the weather to the highly diverse econmomy, nevermind what the haters say, you have to have a diverse and innovative economy in order to be the origin of almost every modern trend. Every state is not like California, and most states don't even come close right now.

Or is it because californians want cali all to themselves like a jealous lover. Whatever the reason, I would think that a state with so many transplants would tell people to hurry up and get in out the cold while they still can.

Detroit

Courtesy of Flickr.com

Camden, NJ

Photo courtesy of Filckr.com

Philly

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

Baltimore, MD

New Orleans

St. Louis

Photo Courtesy of Flickr.com

Chicago

Last edited by killakoolaide; 04-04-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
The city-data posters respond to posts on an individual basis. If someone is moving to LA with a job and a supportable income then most likely there won't be much push back. The push back comes when someone with no skills or no job wants to move to SoCal with an expectation of living for $500/month near the beach with a 100 pound dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Or is it because californians want cali all to themselves.....I would think that a state with so many transplants would tell people to hurry up and get in out the cold while they still can.

This is the best reason. People in Southern California don't need more people from the east coast moving in. The last thing needed is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic stuck behind some yankee capped NY weasel with a I Love NY sticker on his car.

Quote:
Its no secret that the "American dream" has left most of the NE/Mid-Atlantic and Midwest, and moved south and west.
Aren't the unemployment rates lower in a lot of those cities than they are in California? Isn't DC one of the biggest boom towns in the US (relatively speaking)?

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Last edited by Charles; 04-04-2010 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying I have never been to CA, but hope to go one day. With that said, I've noticed alot of posters on this forum try to discourage people from moving out to california in thier lifelong pursuit of the American dream. Its no secret that the "American dream" has left most of the NE/Mid-Atlantic and Midwest, and moved south and west. So then why do californians(at least on C-D) think it better for people in declining states and cities to stay where they are at? Its like telling somebody to stay on a sinking ship.
California too is a sinking ship, perhaps worse than the places you're talking about precisely because it doesn't "look" as bad so it's often quite deceptive. If you really think you can come out here and "live the American Dream" without having a lot of money to do so then by all means...prove us wrong.

Quote:
Then you'll say: "But they have no job or no plan or no education and little money." Do you think everyone that landed on the shores of North Jersey in the begining of the 20th century had alot of money, a good job lined up, and an MBA?
Different time, different needs, different opportunities.

Quote:
Then you'll say:"But they'll end up homeless, and become a drag on society." Who are you to judge whether or not someone has what it takes to make it? Even if they do fail, and become homeless, at least they won't have to worry about freezing to death.
Thi is just an uninformed statement on so many levels.

Basically, it sounds like you've made up your mind about Californians and California so it makes little sense to me why you even bother asking us? We were only being honest with you.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:

I think some people have been in Cali for too long, and have either become spoiled or forgotten about the plight of some of the other people throughout this country. California is not perfect, but there is no perfect place. Some californians on this site seem to forget that for all its ills, it is still one of the most desireable states to live in. Everything from the weather to the highly diverse econmomy, nevermind what the haters say, you have to have a diverse and innovative economy in order to be the origin of almost every modern trend. Every state is not like California, and most states don't even come close right now.

Or is it because californians want cali all to themselves like a jealous lover. Whatever the reason, I would think that a state with so many transplants would tell people to hurry up and get in out the cold while they still can.

Detroit

Courtesy of Flickr.com

Camden, NJ

Photo courtesy of Filckr.com

Philly

Baltimore, MD

New Orleans

St. Louis

Chicago

the turn of the 20th century and the 21st are 2 totally different things and no the American dream has not left the mid west and the mid atlantic. Where do you get that? Do you realize when the fasting growning cities are? Those pics you show could be anywhere, any ghetto area, any major city...Right now isn't the time to move period and especially to someplace like Ca with very high unemployment, high property costs, high taxes etc. That is why people are saying,stay put for at least the time being. It has nothing to do with Ca wanting to keep the state to themselves.

NIta

Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,732,119 times
The more important question is, imo, why do you give such weight (any weight for that matter) to other peoples perceptions and opinions.
Just live where wanna live.
Simple.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 PM

572 posts, read 2,487,707 times
Each of the above posts are very accurate. Read them over and over so they sink in...

Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times
Really, I think a lot of states do the same thing. Oregon certainly does, Colorado does, Florida does, so on so forth. And it's largely a repercussion in a nation that has allowed itself to over-populate (birthing AND immigration) irresponsibly. And each and every individual adds to that irresponsibility when he or she moves without doing their homework.

In the Portland forum I tirelessly repeat over 'n' over to transplant-wannabees that they MUST secure a job first before moving here, as there is no work. Oregon has never been plentiful in jobs even during economic good times, and property taxes are into the stratosphere (in fact, that particular tax is even worse than California's).

California has a lot of other problems, though. It's been plucked apart fiscally for services and taxes and greed. Early in the 90's I started to wonder when the housing market would start bursting at the seams and become less of an American dream. Unless you have a wad of money to burn, try moving to anywhere around the Bay Area or Southern Cal and see how affordable a house really is. Yes, there are scads of places other than these two metropolitan centers, like the San Joaquin Valley, Upper-Northern. And the cost of living is considerably cheaper. But those are NOT the places transplants seek.

And, by the way, I don't find anything wrong in some of those photographs. The one of St. Louis is a beautiful shot ~ what's wrong with it? And do you think there are no slums or dying towns in California? Hell, there are areas in San Francisco that I won't even drive through! So I'm afraid that California really isn't unique where that's concerned.

I can definitely understand people wanting to be near the ocean and better climate. But realistically, it can't accommodate everybody in the nation who'd want those things.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM

181 posts, read 322,966 times
California has closer to a 20% unemployment rate right now if you count people who have given up looking for jobs. 75 people applied for a job at my friend's work that became vacant.....at verizon as a clerical person making $12 an hour. Rents in the town I live are around $850 for a one bedroom apartment. Do the math.

Californians are accepting people. We have people of differing gender, race, socio-economic, and mental health status. If you want to move here, just be warned. The high cost of living, high taxes on EVERYTHING, traffic, low salaries need to be something you take into consideration before moving here. We have run down shacks in CA just like those pictures you the OP posted.

Just research thoroughly before you come. Trust me, if you are working, we want you. We need your tax revenue!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
If you want to move to California, do so. I really don't have anything else to say that I didn't already say on the other thread (Is CA hostile towards outsiders?).

Killakoolaide, just from reading your posts, I can tell that you have tons of potential to succeed. Don't feel the need to conform in any way in CA -- there's no need for that.

I think you should check out where I'm from (originally), the Inland Empire (Riverside-San Bernardino). It's a bit easier to get on your feet out there, and on weekends you'll be within commuting distance of LA and all it has to offer.

Believe me, I don't want CA. You and everybody else can have it.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,729,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the turn of the 20th century and the 21st are 2 totally different things and no the American dream has not left the mid west and the mid atlantic. Where do you get that? Do you realize when the fasting growning cities are? Those pics you show could be anywhere, any ghetto area, any major city...Right now isn't the time to move period and especially to someplace like Ca with very high unemployment, high property costs, high taxes etc. That is why people are saying,stay put for at least the time being. It has nothing to do with Ca wanting to keep the state to themselves.

NIta
The fastest growing cities are in the sunbelt. The growth in cali just recently slowed up. Some cities(none in california) have been losing population since the end of world war two, and in some extreme cases entire neighborhoods are being reclaimed by nature.

Like I said cali has its problems, but you can't compare them to the suffering in the Midwest, deep south, or killer Camden. The recession can not take away beautiful weather, and scenery year round. A person has a much better chance of becoming famous out there, because of all the T.V. shows. If you believe in trickle down economics, then you gotta believe that having by far the highest concentration of celebraties in the country has a positive effect on a California's economy. Even though it may be tough for everyone right now, it is becoming clear that the 21st century will be lead economically by Cali and Texas. Its also becoming clear that some cities best days are now forever behind them.

I'm just saying when the economy comes back I wanna be on the cutting edge, not picking up the pieces. I don't care so much about what people say, it just baffles me that people can't see the writing on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California