Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,430 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Crescent City - I currently am in Sacramento and though I have been up that way many a time I am still totally unsure of which option to choose. On one hand, I will have more financial security on the tip of California, and less here but I will have something still, and I most likely will get a better and more accredited education here with more option for work. That's another problem up there - limited opportunity, and what I do might tie in up there but It might not be too hot. So the city is a general need. At my age I do need to accelerate my education instead of being held back by certain events, now I can continue my efforts. Also at this point in life I need to gain a sense of liberation from parents, and school here is probably better than College of the Redwoods up there, It seems like a dead-end up north in Crescent City; heard someone say "Crescent ****ty". Tsunamiis...well they can be big but only one in '64 or something like that, to me not much reason for alarm. But it is so beautiful: The Majestic Redwoods, large sparse land with plenty of foliage, colder and rainier climate, the long beaches..fresher air, enough stores and places, and less people - perhaps more peace of mind. But less females too, which is something I need to catch up on..I guess (no, I really know I need to heh god knows). Its really just a drive-thru town to get into Oregon, otherwise its just a sleepy sea-line small town with a few amenities - but not many. If you enjoy the scenery that's fine, and I do, but I hear there are many drug users there which is not a good thing to be around, just people on a crash course with destruction of their life, taking their bodies down with it. Sacramento has its share as well, and there is some level of violence/theft here compared to other places Ive lived in.

I think I have already made my mind up; from reading this you'll probably already be hearing it tumbling in the wind. If I do stay in Sacramento I will have limited contacts and transport, so if trouble stirs in any form such as sickness, etc, it may be a rough go of it, but I will have some support. Medical help up there is not so great either in Crescent City from what Ive heard. It is time I get on my own, it is just such a life changing transition and with these choices, unsure of which is the right way to go. We were considering Flagstaff Arizona, but we have such a connection with Crescent City / Smith River, from all the many years going up there. And certain people all gone now.

I do appreciate any answers even if only one person can reply. What about Flagstaff? how safe or cool is it, wonder if there are decent job possibilities there. But what with the whole immigration law and the problems with the borders, it may be not the right place - but it is beautiful there as well. But if anyone knows, the answers would be greatly appreciated. Not sure on Flagstaff, may not go there..but it is a consideration. So which will it be..I thank you for reading and answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Crescent City is a meth-riddled dump in a beautiful natural setting. Great place for a weekend but I wouldn't live there if you paid me to. Your post is not real clear as to why you are moving and what you are looking for. If you have a family to support the jobs are in Sacramento. I haven't been in Flagstaff in years, couldn't comment.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,430 times
Well, parents are moving and so I am too..I don't have any family to support; my whole family pretty much may as well be just my parents, but I need to split off from them somehow - this might be an opportunity. I seem to not be able to change my father's mind about going up there to Crescent City/Smith River...him and his "nostalgic emotional ties" to that damn place..

I work in the tech industry, computers, and it might not be too great up there if I go because of this; what's more is I really need to get more experience in this field, and like you said - the jobs are in Sacramento, especially for this kind of work - what's more the school college of the redwoods is well, like my counselor said, "Different" heh..but it might be good. And the economy probably suffers in Crescent City, especially when the lumber mills were all taken down.

Yea the drug situation might be somewhat bad up there, but then I look at Sacramento, From what I've heard of and seen, alot of marijuana here. Sacramento really truely is just a cow town that hasn't learned it's a real city yet. Most of the women here look closely related to that species lol. There are a few ladies of course that are gems out there. But I bet there are none in the way of women in Crescent City...so yeah I just can't make up my mind. Eureka is a real bad place, vagrants spread across the entire city, drugs, beggars, people yelling thru the bars of that one facility used to keep some criminals..that's a definite no there, but I guess I'm stuck on this, its a very very hard decision for me...I guess I will find out in a few weeks :-/ not even a crystal I bought at the fortuna gem shop (best rock shop Ive ever seen) can help me foretell what is in store for me heheh...but I just wish I could get some more feedback...

Thank you eureka1 it helps to see any kind of reply, it really does; its the only 'out of bounds' input I have on this situation, and the change will come sooner than I expect..

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
The housing situation in Sacramento is pretty atrocious, for what it's worth.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Default Flagstaff or CC

I have to tell you that I was born and raised in CC for the first 18 years and have been all over since. I go back to visit periodically and it has changed. I now live in Prescott, AZ not far from Flagstaff. If you don't mind snow and lots of it I would recommend Flagstaff. Not to bad but rememebr it is a college town which has lots of traffic congestion but probably not nearly as bad as Sacramento.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Crites 53 View Post
I have to tell you that I was born and raised in CC for the first 18 years and have been all over since. I go back to visit periodically and it has changed. I now live in Prescott, AZ not far from Flagstaff. If you don't mind snow and lots of it I would recommend Flagstaff. Not to bad but rememebr it is a college town which has lots of traffic congestion but probably not nearly as bad as Sacramento.
This is a really old thread Dan but hi all the same.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Flagstaff is a very nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California