Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Just stumbled on this thread. I live in Santa Cruz, and consider San Francisco more Northern California -- it's a bit too wet up there, and it does seem considerably different weather-wise.

After seeing these beautiful photos, I regret not taking my camera yesterday when my daughter and I took a trip from Santa Cruz to Carmel. We didn't stop in Monterey because we've been there so often and have a good friend there who wasn't home, so we went straight to Carmel.

Carmel is so beautiful, so charming, and we had a wonderful day in that most gorgeous town. Carmel is also so inviting to those who own dogs -- many, many establishments had little doggie water dishes outside, and other establishments allow dogs inside. It's just fun to go up and down the hilly town, to the beach, through the shops, get some fresh French cheese at a cheese store with thousands of varieties.

We stopped at the Tuck Box for tea time, and got our regular English scones with jams, fresh whipped cream and loose tea with a tea strainer. And we had to add the cheese and fruit plate, too! The Tuck Box Tea Room, Carmel, California, USA - GourmetVoyageurs.com

Each time we go we are enchanted. And this is definitely part of the Central Coast! It's very different from Santa Cruz which has a younger, lively vibe, with the surfers and college kids. And Monterey is great for the Aquarium and Cannery Row (although it's a bit too windy and overcast for my tastes in Monterey).

The Central Coast is a little jewel in California. Most people talk about Northern California and Southern California, and I don't think to people outside of California that it occurs to them that there is a central part, as well. On our nightly news, Santa Cruz is always mentioned along with Monterey as "the Central Coast," so I assume that it is.

I am grateful for living in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

Did y'all see Clint & Dina?

hahaha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Ha ha. No, but before he died, I did see Merv Griffith tooling around in his little sports car that had his name on his license plate! And Betty White's ranch isn't too far from there, and she actually helps one of the thrifts at the Carmel Barnyard to contribute for animals!

We don't go to see the famous folks -- we just like the ambiance there. It's just a nice place to spend the day or a weekend. Now, we're back in Santa Cruz and just went to the Farmers' Market on East Cliff Drive (near Twin Lakes Beaches), and it was an entirely different vibe -- there was a cool live band playing, lots of interesting people, but definitely not a Carmel appearance to it!

I just really like Carmel, though -- it is one of my favorite places to walk around, see the sights and have something to eat -- kind of a break from Santa Cruz -- ha ha!!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Ha ha. No, but before he died, I did see Merv Griffith tooling around in his little sports car that had his name on his license plate! And Betty White's ranch isn't too far from there, and she actually helps one of the thrifts at the Carmel Barnyard to contribute for animals!

We don't go to see the famous folks -- we just like the ambiance there. It's just a nice place to spend the day or a weekend. Now, we're back in Santa Cruz and just went to the Farmers' Market on East Cliff Drive (near Twin Lakes Beaches), and it was an entirely different vibe -- there was a cool live band playing, lots of interesting people, but definitely not a Carmel appearance to it!

I just really like Carmel, though -- it is one of my favorite places to walk around, see the sights and have something to eat -- kind of a break from Santa Cruz -- ha ha!!

We lived in the Monterey area/CV/ Marina/Prunedale for several lustrums. Had Great Fun boonie camping/fishing many fav spots in
CA.
My first wife worked with Dina Ruiz at KSBW-TV8 Salinas. I was a mechanic in Carmel, worked on Clint's vehicles. He bought me a few beers at his Hog's Breath. I met Doug McClure there one time. I also liked the 'Mission Ranch'. I have some great memories back in those years around the peninsula. Spent some great times in Santa Cruz/Capitola/Felton/Camp Harmon/ too

Have a Beautiful Evening.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
The Bay Area has always been called Northern Californian - North Coast but after reading some of these other posts I would agree that:
North Coast - Oregon Border to Golden Gate.
Bay Area Coast - Golden Gate to Santa Cruz.
Central Coast - Below Santa Cruz to just above Santa Barbara
Southern Coast - All of Santa Barbara down to Mexican Border.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Did y'all see Clint & Dina?

hahaha

I used to sit a table or two from Clint when ever I ate at Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley. Never once seen him at his restaurant, which by the way has the best happy hour ever.

I have always considered central coast to be Santa Barbra to San Mateo.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM

514 posts, read 686,964 times
Santa Ynez Mountains to the mouth of the Salinas River. Santa Barbara is in So Cal, and Watsonville is in North Cal, in my book.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I used to sit a table or two from Clint when ever I ate at Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley. Never once seen him at his restaurant, which by the way has the best happy hour ever.

I have always considered central coast to be Santa Barbra to San Mateo.

Sometimes we would stop at the Carmel Valley Lodge, or the Stirrup Cup in the village, then go fishin' at Los Padres Dam. Or we drove through the valley to Miller's Lodge, Arroyo Seco.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,261 times
Default central cal delinear

Is any one out there? Just came upon this thread about the dividing lines between southern california and central calif. I have for many years wondered this very same topic. Being born and raised in Santa Barbara, growing up in the early 60s SB seemed very distant from LA/Vent and so many people considered SB cental calif. Plus it was the gateway in many ways to central/nocal. But as I became older and more aware of topography, my many surf trips along SB county coast and Channel Islands, and now living 2 miles from Surf Beach outside of Lompoc and VERY near Vandenberg AFB, my gut says north of Pt. Conception, when the coast leaves the East/West shift and returns to a north/south rip.

With that said, Guadalupe State Dunes, just on the fringe of No. SB county might be the ideal setting. Have you been there? My God... what splendid beauty! Anyway, SLO county starts pretty much where the Dunes end. What do you think?

Santa Barbarians like to think they live in central california, but when on good traffic days you can be in Westlake Village or Neptunes' Net (both LA county lines) in less than one hour, hardly centr. coast? But just drive one hour north of downtown SB and yes it feels very central coast. Point Sal feels & looks like Pt Reyes area.

So, with so much time on my hands today I have concluded what I knew for decades: its all in the way you see your surroundings.

Quote from Paul Tolliver: LIFE IS FULL OF RENEWEL AND EVENTFUL DREAMS...JUST BE SURE TO LOOK WHERE ONCE YOU MAY HAVE SHUNNED

Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Point Conception to Santa Cruz County.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
That is as good a boundary as I can come up with, Santa Barbara is the north end of So Cal, Santa Cruz is the south end of the Bay area. I don't consider the Bay area as Northern California, it is the Bay area, Santa Rosa can reasonably considered to be the start of Northern CA.

Quote:
With that said, Guadalupe State Dunes, just on the fringe of No. SB county might be the ideal setting. Have you been there? My God... what splendid beauty! Anyway, SLO county starts pretty much where the Dunes end. What do you think?
The Santa Maria River is the SB/SLO county line and it splits the dunes at about the 1/3 mark, 2/3 of the dunes are in SLO County. You can see Mussel Rock at the south end of the Dunes in the last scenes of Hidalgo, and in Pirates of the Caribbean End of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California