Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,238 times

Advertisements

Fresno isn't such a bad place to live, especially depending on where you decide to go. North Fresno has a nice balance of good shopping, decent restaurants, and is conveniently located near the highways that will take you where you want to go. Not far (anywhere from 1-3.5 hours max) to the Sequoias, Yosemite, the beautiful coastal cities, San Fran, etc. Not sure what your situation is like for moving (furniture, etc) but maybe you could use a POD to store your larger items and opt for a furnished apartment for 30 days to see how you like the area. You won't know how you are going to like a place until you live there for yourself. (As you can see, many of us on this forum have different opinions). It looks like there are a couple companies that can help you with furnished apartment rentals (ends up being much cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel room for 30 days). This is what I did before making the move to the area and I ended up loving it. One I found is called Master Suites Corporate Housing. You can see the website at MasterSuites.net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I used to do a lot of fishin' & had relatives living around Jamestown, Sonora, Angel's Camp, Strawberry. It was real nice in that area. It might still be nice. Maybe you should check it out Bro.

Used to boonie camp by Dardanelle, on the Stanislaus, fishin'.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I used to do a lot of fishin' & had relatives living around Jamestown, Sonora, Angel's Camp, Strawberry. It was real nice in that area. It might still be nice. Maybe you should check it out Bro.

Used to boonie camp by Dardanelle, on the Stanislaus, fishin'.

ahhh yes i will keep that in mind. thanks dude

Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Fresno, Bakersfield, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, or Clovis for jobs.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Whatever you do, don't go live in the Central Valley area. Extremely hot, dry, ugly, and full of farming chemicals. Many of the cities there also have a high crime rate.

I love coastal areas, but they can be a bit boring after a while unless you really enjoy water sports and boating. However you're usually close to "mountains" or large hills that you can also access.

I think I might prefer some of the Sierra towns - there's variation in climate, some areas are quite beautiful or at least close to natural beauty, they have fishing, rafting, skiing, gold panning (yeah, I'm one of THOSE ), and of course great hiking.

A lot depends on your economic situation, if you don't need to work
For someone with a lot of hobbies,you sure do spend time talking about other peoples homes behind a keyboard. I was wondering how many posts it would take for some ignorant person to spew hatred. A total of 2, congratulations.
Do you know over 6 million people call the central valley home? You can't just talk crap about a place that people love and call home, that I happen to love. Farming chemicals? come on, I grew up on a farm and I'm probably a lot more healthy than you and your gold panning hobby.
It's obvious you live in the sierras, and choose that way of life. Personally, I think freezing my a** off half the year and gold panning very unappealing. But, to each his own

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
..... plus, the central valley area has lots of angry guys.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
For someone with a lot of hobbies,you sure do spend time talking about other peoples homes behind a keyboard. I was wondering how many posts it would take for some ignorant person to spew hatred. A total of 2, congratulations.
Do you know over 6 million people call the central valley home? You can't just talk crap about a place that people love and call home, that I happen to love. Farming chemicals? come on, I grew up on a farm and I'm probably a lot more healthy than you and your gold panning hobby.
It's obvious you live in the sierras, and choose that way of life. Personally, I think freezing my a** off half the year and gold panning very unappealing. But, to each his own
LOL that was awsome, I just have to laugh at all the negitive people.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyodaddy View Post

Anyways.. money is not a problem for me, fortunately. I prefer a place with lots of nature, no to crowded and a place where good food is around
Santa Barbara

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
I'd suggest SB as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
I know Visalia pretty well and it is like most Central Valley towns: lots of agriculture, very hot summers but near great recreational regions. Salinas is not recommended in my opinion but San Juan Bautista is nice though very small and nothing much there. The Salinas valley around Templeton, Paso Robles is nice and not as hot as the Central Valley but very warm with cool nights. San Luis Obispo county is nice and Monterey county is also beautiful.

Santa Barbara is not in central California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California