Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We really at this point, do not care. And never will. We move to areas where there are no people for a reason: We don't care about your problems and we don't want to hear them.
Add psychologists to this jaded mentality. Just kidding!..............sorta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Phil, you are in a position to affect change. Why don't you start a campaign in your department to raise the retirement age in your agency out of respect for taxpayers and your sense of responsibility?

You obviously feel strongly about it.
Why would he want to put himself on the "to be chopped" first list if or when cuts come? Only a fool would be a martyr for a lost cause.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Phil, you are in a position to affect change. Why don't you start a campaign in your department to raise the retirement age in your agency out of respect for taxpayers and your sense of responsibility?

You obviously feel strongly about it.
If I'm not mistaken, Phil would like to live to reach retirement.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
I think Phil needs a group hug ...
(still, my 1/2 use of one arm, partially rebuilt face, hearing aids, and pension level of 1/3 what yours will be, for my national service, says you need to lighten up, pal ... you DO have the worst job in the world, and it has made you sour -- but it was a choice, bubba ... and now soon for your next choice: remain sour or lighten up ... stay tuned)

Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Phil would like to live to reach retirement.
LOL...sad but funny but true.

There was a VICIOUS mayoral campaign in Richmond that went into the gutter specifically because the Police Unions, upset at the Mayor, dug up her credit report and ran commercials exposing her unpaid student loans.

It was so disgusting I couldnt believe it. She won re-election btw.

One very obvious(to me anyway) point made by Jerry Brown during his acceptance speech but not-even-noticed by the media was the fact that he brought out 2 CHARTER SCHOOLS on stage with him. That to me, was a strong message from Jerry Brown to teachers unions(who strongly oppose charter schools) that this isnt going to be business as usual and Im hoping that's true.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
It seems to me that the whole "Meg Whitman is a ho" thing was because Brown wasn't willing to pander to the police unions...??

I believe everything is on the table with Brown -- and that would include police pensions.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It seems to me that the whole "Meg Whitman is a ho" thing was because Brown wasn't willing to pander to the police unions...??

I believe everything is on the table with Brown -- and that would include police pensions.
Exactly-that whole Whitman telephone comment was specifically because of a union that chose to endorse her for agreeing to give them a break.

Great point!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

You really thing that recording was an accident? lmao Jerry Brown is Rico Suave reborn. He ran the slickest campaign I've seen in over a decade. I think he is a Union Stooge, but that doesn't mean I can't respect his obvious skill at politics. Dude is a master and he knows exactly how to manipulate a majority of California voters.

I may not be one of them, but still, Browns political maneuvering was impressive.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
You really thing that recording was an accident? lmao Jerry Brown is Rico Suave reborn. He ran the slickest campaign I've seen in over a decade. I think he is a Union Stooge, but that doesn't mean I can't respect his obvious skill at politics. Dude is a master and he knows exactly how to manipulate a majority of California voters.

I may not be one of them, but still, Browns political maneuvering was impressive.
I thought his campaign was absolutely brilliant. Since he was facing a candidate who was willing to throw millions of $$$$$ into getting elected, he had to be smart.

He somehow managed to look old AND energetic, and it made Whitman look tired in comparison.

I think he's very sincere about wanting to put California on the correct path for the future. Don't forget, his family has lived in this state since the Gold Rush days and he obviously has a great fondness for this place.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:32 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
In 1989, I was working for United Airlines in SFO as a Rampserviceman. Union job, good pay, great benefits, etc. However, I just couldn't see myself working until age 62, loading containers full of freight.

My then brother in law, became a deputy with Alameda County Sheriff's Department. I, being a former Marine, really liked this idea. I looked at EVERYTHING, including retirement, etc. I found, AT THAT TIME, I could retire at age 55. If I stayed at UAL, I would have to retire at 62; so, I started applying to be a police officer. I DID NOT get hired at Alameda County, however, I did get hired at a police department in Alameda County.

I was quite happy over the fact I could retire, with full benefits at 55. Then, about 15 years after working, they (read the liberals in California), changed the laws to make it so I could retire at 50. WOW. Life is good and great.

I'll be 47 this month and, with only 3 years to go, until I can retire (I'll probably stay longer, due to the state of the economy) I am quite happy with whomever made the laws the way they are. I didn't do it, I didn't even ask for it. However, for whomever (thank you Governor Moonbeam and the liberals of this state) I thank you.

I have a high school education and nothing more. Except a large, 4" scar on my stomach, from being shot in Beruit, Lebanon in 1983. Other then that, I have nothing. But, thanks to the people of this state, I have alot.
Try to find out how much money your union contributed to the campaigns of the politicans who made this change. Something tells me "Luck" had very little to do with it......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California