Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

If its not really necessary, then by all means, get rid of it.

Quote:

At the rate he is going, Brown appears to be angling for a slimmed down cabinet compared to his predecessors. In addition to this little-noticed campaign pledge, Brown is also considering eliminating the chief of staff position. (Gray Davis – later Gov. Gray Davis – was his chief of staff when Brown was first governor.)

Eliminating the appointed secretary of education position won't have any material impact on the state budget, but it should help reduce some of the confusion in state education governance. It also marks a distinctly different approach from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger who earlier this year called for eliminating the superintendent of public instruction, a statewide elected office mandated by the state's first constitution...
Brown wants to ax secretary of education position | California Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
So far, I'm liking everything I'm seeing from him. He's living up to his "frugal" label!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
But I thought Jerry Brown was just another tax and spend liberal?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
See, conservatives were just judging him before he did anything.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
Hmm... I lik the idea. If he continues like this, I hope he makes me regret not voting for him.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM

286 posts, read 535,545 times
Conservatives are judging him before he does anything? I guess you weren't around when he was governor the first time. Tax tax tax and spend spend spend, that's Jerry. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to ax those just to use the money for more handouts to illegals.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
Conservatives are judging him before he does anything? I guess you weren't around when he was governor the first time. Tax tax tax and spend spend spend, that's Jerry. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to ax those just to use the money for more handouts to illegals.
Thanks, I was going to say the same thing.

I do like his idea of eleminating the dept, but I also know, from his past, he will use the money saved and more on social programs, give aways, etc.

I hope I am wrong, I fear I am not.

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:

Brown tax and spend?! When he was governor in the 70s and 80s:

But Governor Brown was much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan, even if he made arguments for austerity that the Republican would never use. (At one point, to get across the idea that a lean organization could outperform a bloated bureaucracy, he offered the example of the Viet Cong.) Reagan had raised taxes several times and boosted spending by an average of 12.2 percent a year. In his first year as governor, by contrast, Brown increased spending by just 4.6 percent, less than the rate of inflation. He wasn’t always so restrained in the rest of his reign, but he was thriftier than his predecessor, accumulating one of the biggest budget surpluses in California history. In Brown’s first gubernatorial campaign, he had denounced “recycled Reaganism.” In Brown’s first year in office, Reagan’s director of programs and policies joked that his old boss “thinks Jerry Brown has gone too far to the right.”

The American Conservative -- Five Faces of Jerry Brown

Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:
No, I wasn't around when jerry was governor. I am only 19.

I meant that people are assuming he will do whatever he did the first time. He may now have a different idea but some people on here just won't accept that. Typical.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM

312 posts, read 502,322 times
Quote:
You're getting Reagan and Brown mixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California