Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

This is so moronic. We spend $8-12 Billion a year on Corrections that STILL isnt enough to keep those law-breaking leeches here?

Our prison money is actually creating jobs in other states.

$12 Billion divided by 160,000 inmates=$75,000 on each inmate annually.

Quote:
That includes some 2,600 California inmates who could be heading to a former youth correctional facility in the town of Baldwin, Mich. The facility is run by The GEO Group, a private prison company.

Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm welcomed the deal on her Facebook page, saying it would create 450 new jobs and $60 million in new investment.

“We are rejoicing, and everybody is celebrating with us,” Sandy Crandall of the Lake County Chamber of Commerce told the Grand Rapids Press. “It’s good news, especially right now.”

California is also negotiating with Corrections Corp. of America to take nearly 2,400 more state inmates in addition to the nearly 10,000 it currently houses in prisons in Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Mississippi and Oklahoma.

California's prisoner 'exports' welcomed in other states | California Watch
Of all the departments in California, this is the one I believe needs the biggest overhaul by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 24,472 times
I hope California keeps their "law breaking leeches" there!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 AM

253 posts, read 349,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is so moronic. We spend $8-12 Billion a year on Corrections that STILL isnt enough to keep those law-breaking leeches here?

Our prison money is actually creating jobs in other states.

$12 Billion divided by 160,000 inmates=$75,000 on each inmate annually.

Of all the departments in California, this is the one I believe needs the biggest overhaul by far.

Well, this is interesting. We agree.

In my view, the first question to ask is "why does it cost so much to perform the action of caring for inmates in California?".

Labour contracts are very difficult to change, but there are MANY, MANY other areas where Californians spend too much on our prisoners.

Take away the extra cost (the underpinnings that restrains growth in California), and watch what you ask for happen.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
First of all, the total corrections budget is more like 9 billion, of which about 2 billion are spend outside prisons, on things like juvenile operations and parolees.

The 7 billion spent on adult prisoners break down into 4.5 billion spent on prison operations and 2.5 billion spent on health care.

The money spent on prison operations goes to pay for one full-time prison employee per 3.5 inmates with an average cost to state of $110,000 (subtracting payroll taxes, pension plan contributions, and health insurance, the average salary should come out closer to $90,000). The money spent on health care pays for one full-time physician/nurse/psychiatrist/etc. per 13 inmates at an average cost of $190,000.

It's interesting to compare these numbers with other states. Florida, for example, manages to spend about a quarter of that amount per inmate. How do they do that? They appear to have half as many guards per inmate, and those guards are two times cheaper (the average guard costs the state $50,000). Their health care is a lot cheaper too. I recall reading that there was something, some kind of court decision in CA that placed an outsider in control of prison health care and that person was basically unrestrained by any budgetary considerations ... I don't remember all the details. And there's also the Californians' unmitigated hate of sex offenders and their drive to keep sex offenders in psychiatric hospitals for life, that couldn't have come cheap either.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
It's a shame we can't export all these inmates to Mexico and have them boarded & locked-up for a 1/10 of the cost.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sharing the pork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
It's a shame we can't export all these inmates to Mexico and have them boarded & locked-up for a 1/10 of the cost.
Wow! That's an excellent idea! We could even pay them double the going rate (in Mexico) and save money off of incarcerating them here!

Only thing is, will the prison guard unions let you do that?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sharing the pork.
Wow! That's an excellent idea! We could even pay them double the going rate (in Mexico) and save money off of incarcerating them here!

Only thing is, will the prison guard unions let you do that?
Not in our lifetimes, and your current Governor elect is the one who gave them the "bargaining " power in the first place.

By the way, those sexually violent predators (SVPs), mentally disordered offenders, not guilty by reason of insanity and incompetent to stand trial cost about $160,000 a year each to house and "treat" while the eveluation processes cost at least another $50-60 million a year.

But that's what the people wanted and they passed Proposition 63 related to SVPs which cost an additional $33 million the first year and netted about five additional comminments. Who's to blame?

Good luck with all that!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 AM

18 posts, read 16,504 times
that stupid ,lol ,lame !!
and~~

Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not in our lifetimes, and your current Governor elect is the one who gave them the "bargaining " power in the first place.
Not my governor elect! If he was my governor elect I'd trade him in on a model that isn't broken! (And anyway I hope to have the "for sale" sign stuck in my front lawn by the time he's sworn in.) Stop the insanity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: