Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM

54 posts, read 267,786 times

Advertisements

It's pretty expensive here, no backyards, tons of sun and outdoor activities, but a lot of gangs all over the state. We are from New York and moved here 6 years ago. We are looking to move back east in the next few years.
I would look for sleepier/safer cities like Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon and Danville in the SF bay area. Concord has a lot of rough areas, I would look in Clayton next to Concord if you are looking in that area. Also, Templeton, Paso Robles on the Central Coast, but it's quieter down there, so you'd need to find a job first. Maybe you could work in a bigger city like San Luis Obispo if you chose Central Coast.
Monterey is also nice and beautiful, but not a lot of jobs and a lot of bums and quite a few deliquents around. Pacific grove is a nice place to live and go to school, next to Monterey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 12,718 times
If you love your family and want to maintain all your self respect and dignity then please don't move to Southern California. There are so many bums here and they all want to pan handle everywhere x everywhere like its your family's shopping that has to donate to them. Also, don't expect the justice system to be a big help here. The good police and judges in Southern California are all too hard at work to notice that crimes against you and your loved ones are as traumatic as the hundreds of other bums and gangs with families. I guess BROKE really is the right word to describe here. The list can go on forever. The truth is New Jersey has to be a better future.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
You are replying to a thread that is almost 4 years dead.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
[quote=.highnlite;16812509]
Quote:
A 2k mortgage will get you roughly a $200,000 house
I don't know where that math comes from. For one thing, it entirely depends on how much equity you have in your current home and can put toward your new house. Even at 20% down, mortgage on a $400K house is only about $1,600 at today's rates.

Assuming you can keep roughly your current income level, you will definitely be able to afford a mortgage in California. How much house you're accustomed to for the money may be a different story, though. Zillow.com will help you with that.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
California is crowded - partly because of everyone moving from back east.
I wouldn't move until you found a job. You might have to have one parent move first, set up residence, and then move the rest out.
I don't find a lot of people from "back east" here. If there are, they hid their accents damn well because I very rarely meet anyone with a thick accent here. Maybe they came from Wisconsin or something mostly or some of the other states with "less" of an accent. Perhaps Connecticut a few. Granite Bay easily could pass as a Connecticut town, but I just don't hear the accents.. wth?

CORRECTION: I mistaked this for the Sacramento forum. Maybe in SoCal theres more folks with accents but I am convinced I am one of the only ones Northeast of Sac. Nobody up here I ever run into with a NE accent EVER.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbennett2006 View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to California. I am a registered nurse and he is an education major (almost complete) We have 2 children (age 1 and 3) and we just want to get out of NJ. We own a home but we feel we are not getting a lot in return for all our hard work. (2K a month mortgage $550/month property tax included in that, $280/month car insurance, $200/week childcare, $280/month toll charges NJ Turnpike) Not to mention we both hate the cold weather.

I just have a few questions:

1. Will we be able to afford it there? We will probably sell our home before moving
2. Will we be able to find jobs?
3 We just want to live in a nice working class neighborhood with grass and trees (we are always surrounded by concrete here in NJ) good schools and nice places to visit as a family

Any advice welcome. Thanks

We're still somewhat young and want to raise our children in a safe and warm place. Did I mention I HATE THE COLD WEATHER??
Ya man I hate to break it to you but everyones right. Unless you make a high income and come with a job, it will be bad coming from NJ and if you have an accent, you may have to tone it down but nobody tells you that because people are too PC in California. At least down south I'd know where I stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California