Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And if it was doing so well, so many wouldn't seem to feel the need to be so defensive.
That or they're ****ing sick of the same-old same-old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Apparently you missed this;

Since there is nothing the poster can do about California, and lives in another part of the country, one would think that the poster would be out taking advantage of the qualities of that area.

My guess is actually, that the poster misses the state badly, and if you look at photos on this thread that is forgivable.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Apparently you missed this;

Since there is nothing the poster can do about California, and lives in another part of the country, one would think that the poster would be out taking advantage of the qualities of that area.

My guess is actually, that the poster misses the state badly, and if you look at photos on this thread that is forgivable.
Haven't missed much and just returned from an 1,850 mile trip, much of it through parts of MO (NE and Central) we hadn't yet experienced. We usually take one or two all-day trips each week exploring the natural wonders of the Ozarks and the quaint villages, many of which time hasn't seemed to touch much since the turn of the century -- a cultural anthropologist's delight.

I've never said that California was anything less than a physical wonder, and it is. The one thing I miss a lot is the ocean having been born and raised on it. The majesty, sights, sounds and smells of the Pacific can't be duplicated and fresh water only goes so far.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
1. What is cultural beauty?

2. Ventura County, west of I5, A good loop trip is to drive to Frazier Park, drop down into Lockwood Valley, stop at Scheidecks Lodge for a burger and beer, then to Venticopa for a fine French restaurant (the only business in town I think), then south to Ojai and do Ojai stuff. Take a few days. Add a couple more days, and visit the Carrizo Plains.

3. San Antonio Mission is my favorite, it is out in the country and the landscape does not look much different today than 200 years ago. As a kid we loved to go there as the mission is surrounded by an army base, we would see soldiers and tanks. The fort was part of the Hearst Ranch, when the Army got it, they converted the ranch headquarters into the officers club. The building was designed by the same woman who designed Hearst Castle and is a beautiful building, I understand that today it is a public restaurant (not positive on this) The mission and environs are well worth a visit. Make sure you have your DL, vehicle registration and insurance docs. Last time I tried to visit the mission I was towing a horse trailer with a couple of horses, pulled up to the guard house was asked for the papers, and realized that they were all sitting on my kitchen table, where I put them. Since I looked like your standard redneck rancher, they turned me around and did not send me to Gitmo.

4. I am currently researching and writing a book on the central ranges which include Lockwood Valley tentatively titled The Wildflower Trail The research is the fun part, writing it is as much fun as crawling on your hands and knees from Crescent City to Yuma.

Fort Hunter Liggett & Camp Roberts. Fort Hunter Liggett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lustrums ago i spent many happy hours fishing some bass ponds in the back of Liggett.
A road there goes over to the coast by Nepenthe & Big Sur Beautiful scenery.

We have many happy memories of fishin' Lake San Antonio, Naciemiento, Arroyo Seco

Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM

officer's club

The whole area is worth the drive, with your camera.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
1. What is cultural beauty?
I'm referring to things like architecture, infrastructure, social systems, basically man-made things both physical and social.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to things like architecture, infrastructure, social systems, basically man-made things both physical and social.
So, in what states are these things better than in California?

It is interesting that there are many people who feel that Nevada is the better place to go, but it ranks 47th in the nation in business friendly, due in part to a number of the items in your list.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
They might be expressing concern if they thought it was letting itself down and especially if they had significant family still living there -- "significant" being subjective but in our case...
Having an interest in the direction of California is one thing, I'm certainly interested in the direction of the places I've lived, but continuously finding opportunities to speak badly about the state is another.

Quote:
And if it was doing so well, so many wouldn't seem to feel the need to be so defensive.
The country isn't doing well, the situation in California is just a bit worse than the nation as a whole. When someone does nothing but potty talk California, its annoying, it has nothing to do with being defensive, if I could magically move anywhere it wouldn't be California.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
So, in what states are these things better than in California?
For example, New York and Massachusetts. California has nothing like NYC, California cities have poor infrastructure, tons of cheap and ugly structures, etc. Unless you really love stucco, California would be a pretty ugly place to live without the ocean, mountains, etc.

I'm not sure there are many people that think Nevada is a better place to go, rather just a cheaper place to go.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
For example, New York and Massachusetts. California has nothing like NYC, California cities have poor infrastructure, tons of cheap and ugly structures, etc. Unless you really love stucco, California would be a pretty ugly place to live without the ocean, mountains, etc.

I'm not sure there are many people that think Nevada is a better place to go, rather just a cheaper place to go.
You are comparing New York infrastructure, structures to California? Are you serious? I have never seen such devastation than the miles of drab 10-story tenaments of NYC, garbage overflowing into the streets, an odor that would knock a shunk out, griffiti everywhere on walls, subway cars, rats in the gutters at night. Much of the East Coast is so old looking and very unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California