Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

It ain't exactly rocket science, so I'm sure you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Besides, rocket science is simple. Pointy end up, firey end down!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I'd sure like to know who these agencies are that were so generous in providing cars and cell phones. I'd be any money the majority of those employees are in Sacramento, not in the field. We had ONE cell phone for 12 employees,which was kept in the ONE car we had. Hopefully we will start to see the end of the two tier system under which the HQ employees are provided better working conditions and equipment than those in the field who are actually doing the work.
GO JERRY GO!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
LOLz @ both BDD and Fontucky! Yeah BDD I'm sure you got 'Tucky right.

Gov. Brown is surely softening up us taxpayers, this the beginning of a sort of shock and awe campaign to demonstrate he is sensitive to government waste and extravagant spending. I'm sure there will be many more similar announcements in the coming days and weeks. Nobody is going to be convinced if he takes away the excess cellphones and government vehicles available for personal use, that just isn't enough to turn all his naysayers into supporters. I'm as sure as I can spit that he's got a bullet list of similar small improvements in government efficiency, more small measures to cut wasted and extravagant spending. He will announce each one and then let the public react, let the government employees adapt to their shock. Perhaps he's even hoping that some government employees will retire early or otherwise exit government employment thus sparing wider use of the ax as the year continues. Only later will he begin campaigning for new or increased taxes or fees, after some of us have been seduced by the cost saving measures.

Based upon what I've seen so far I'm feeling a bit less negative about Brown, a little more optimistic that he might actually improve the situation of California's financial crisis. His plan is to reduce spending and probably to increase revenue. It's common sense that's what is needed in California. The only question is how much of the problem will be solved by spending cuts and how much of the problem will be solved by increased taxes.

As far as the mess our schools are in, I believe that one reason for decreased performance is decreased quality of the students. Back when I attended public schools most of the students were English speaking natives (either native L.A. or at least native US). These days I understand there is a very large percentage of students from foreign countries and different cultures, many of them poor English speakers, many of them from poorer families compared to when I went to school (the Valley, middle class), many of them without the benefits I grew up with (two parents, supportive of my attending college, good role models). For all those reasons I believe the quality of students in our public schools has declined, and I expect that the more affluent families are more often sending their children to private schools after giving up on public schools. I'm not surprised that our schools are failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'd sure like to know who these agencies are that were so generous in providing cars and cell phones. I'd be any money the majority of those employees are in Sacramento, not in the field. We had ONE cell phone for 12 employees,which was kept in the ONE car we had. Hopefully we will start to see the end of the two tier system under which the HQ employees are provided better working conditions and equipment than those in the field who are actually doing the work.
GO JERRY GO!
I've heard that 40% of state employees had state provided cellphones. I'm pretty sure that's way way more than the number of them employed in Sacramento.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
GO JERRY GO!
It might help in understanding if you know that it was Ahnold who insisted that employees at a certain level and in certain type positions all have Blackberries. My boss and I both fell under that umbrella but stuck to our guns in refusing to carry them. We each had our privately owned and paid for cell phones and used them on the rare occasion it was helpful mostly when we were working at the Capitol.

We each took some heat for not knuckling under but stood by our guns nonetheless.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Good move. So maby state employees abuse the cell phone priveledge anyway. Yeah like someone said before, get rid of the luxury rides and replace them with 5-10 year old 4 bangers

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
That is an efficient use of time. How many of you like to head on over to the local pay phone to contact someone? Can you find a pay phone? A cell phone is in no way a luxury. It is a normal business tool that allows someone to work more efficiently. We ended buying them for our entire staff. People can be reached and work progresses faster now because of having the phones. If it saved more money than it cost private business would so away with them. Seems that old Jerry is going to take us back into the 60's and 70's.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is an efficient use of time. How many of you like to head on over to the local pay phone to contact someone? Can you find a pay phone? A cell phone is in no way a luxury. It is a normal business tool that allows someone to work more efficiently. We ended buying them for our entire staff. People can be reached and work progresses faster now because of having the phones. If it saved more money than it cost private business would so away with them. Seems that old Jerry is going to take us back into the 60's and 70's.
But do you REALLY think 40% of state workers need a cell phone for official business so much that the state should pay for it? Who doesn't have their own cell phone today? Should the state start paying for employees home water bills too so they can shower before work?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Outstanding. For the most part, those were pretty good years!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
That is an efficient use of time. How many of you like to head on over to the local pay phone to contact someone? Can you find a pay phone? A cell phone is in no way a luxury. It is a normal business tool that allows someone to work more efficiently.
Sure, that's why every employee you see at a fast food restaurant, supermarket, car wash, factory, vegetable field, dentist, auto repair shop, hairstylist, recycling center, etc. etc. has a cellphone, because it's a normal business tool that allows someone to work more efficiently.

Some employees need 'em, some don't. Of course few if any of the ones I listed need 'em beyond what's already screwed into their wall or desk, and state employees are just the same. I can't imagine 2 out of every 5 state employees need cellphones, particularly ones that work from their desks.

State employees who frequently work in the field probably need them. Those who work at desks or in shops or warehouses probably don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Outstanding. For the most part, those were pretty good years!
They weren't pretty good. They were great! That was back before things started deteriorating, or at least had deteriorated very little. That was back when I intended to spend the rest of my life living right here in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California