Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,016 times

Advertisements

I love NorCal for all the same reasons people have mentioned above. But it's tough to beat the SoCal beaches (the clean ones at least) and all the palm trees. As far as nature goes, you can find beautiful landscapes in both regions but NorCal has a bit more to choose from and a few more popular diverse destinations to experience. I'd have to lean towards NorCal in the end, but having been raised there, I'm probably biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I love NorCal for all the same reasons people have mentioned above. But it's tough to beat the SoCal beaches (the clean ones at least) and all the palm trees. As far as nature goes, you can find beautiful landscapes in both regions but NorCal has a bit more to choose from and a few more popular diverse destinations to experience. I'd have to lean towards NorCal in the end, but having been raised there, I'm probably biased.
Yes it is. Born, mostly raised and spent about 24 years of my life there. Then three in central CA and the last almost 20 in the state in NorCal. That leaves about 17 years spent in other states and countries.

If where I was raised in SoCal still bore the least resemblance to what it was then, other than geographically, you'd have had to carry me out feet first!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
NorCal vs SoCal; Which is more beautiful, nature wise? And Why?
Hmmm, to me, I would have to ask "why are you asking?" If you're asking to determine where to live with the nicest surroundings, I would agree with Northern California. Can't beat the Redwoods, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Lassen, Bay area, and Mammoth Mountain / Mono Lake area (all in one state!).

However, Southern California has it's own "charms". SoCal has a way more diverse set of juxtaposed environments compared to NorCal. For example, I can drive from sea to desert to alpine forest (Mt. Pinos) in one day (a long day though). SoCal also has part of Big Sur down to Cambria + Morro Bay + Pismo Beach, unique Channel Islands national park, Los Padres National Forest (lots of nature diversity here), southern end of Sierra Nevada, Red Rock state park, San Bernadino mountains, Santa Monica National Park and it's associated Malibu coastline (Leo Carrillo beach is very nice). If you're into deserts, Mohave and especially Death Valley (wonderful name for a place to visit!) is great. Go to any photo site and you will see many shots of Death Valley, very scenic! One thing that I like about SoCal is when a rainy winter happens, many areas turn into huge desert or meadow vistas of brightly colored flower beds which (in certain places) can stretch for tens of miles (example: Carrizo Plain national monument)! Just have to be there to experience it.

So if you're asking for determining where to visit, North isn't necessarily better than South, visit both! For determining where to live, North for sure.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Southern California isn't ugly by any stretch, but I prefer the central and northern coastline and northern Sierra Nevada. Short run down of Central and North State things:

Sierra Gold Country
High Sierra
Big Sur
Monterey Bay
San Francisco Bay
Clear Lake
"Lost Coast"
Trinity Alps
Northern Rivers (Sacramento, Feather, Trinity, etc...)
Lake Tahoe
National Parks such as Redwoods, Lassen Volcanic, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings.
Mono Lake
Eastern Sierra

There really are too many things to list. Traveled around a fair bit and Northern California is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
How far is Lost Coast from SD? 10 hours? which county is it in? I have been mean to make a camping trip there!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
How far is Lost Coast from SD? 10 hours? which county is it in? I have been mean to make a camping trip there!
SD to Mendocino, in the county of the same name and roughly 11 hours (670 miles).

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,425 times
Northern California, hands down. I'm a SoCal native, lived there 40 years; lived in Northern California for 13 years. Los Angeles is where the heart is but the Bay Area is a more scenic place to live.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Both are awesome. California is beautiful PERIOD. [/thread]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California