Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times

Advertisements

I know that it is a little early yet for me to be thinking about retirement (I' am 26) but when the time does come, I would like to move to either the Central Coast of California (between Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara) or Southern Orange County (since it is far out from LA and SD). I love the scenery of both areas and the fact that both have a smaller/rural feeling to them. The specific places that I was looking at were San Clmente and Dana Point in S. OC and San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay and Monterey along the central coast.

I like the fact that both areas are far from the chaos of the major cities in each region, but what I would like to know are the pros and cons of each from someone who is already retired or approaching retirement. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
No where in OC will you escape the chaos.
SLO will give you a more reasonable housing.

My folks retired to Morro. Property went up in price after they bought their ranch. Cold winters and hot summers if you are close to the 101. On the beach more mild.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Back in the olden days when I was in the Navy in San Diego there was a gap of rural land between San Diego and near Anaheim, there was the Marine Base but in addition from Oceanside north was rural, today it is all one mass of people, buildings and concrete. O'course, if everyone retires to SLO county it will look like OC, and there are developers more than willing to do that to SLO.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Depend on whether you want to live around a bunch of old people (SLO).

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Depend on whether you want to live around a bunch of old people (SLO).
Yeah! Dang those old people anyway. Just sign me

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/33695_1564967642194_1175481688_31427440_4410377_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No where in OC will you escape the chaos.
SLO will give you a more reasonable housing.

My folks retired to Morro. Property went up in price after they bought their ranch. Cold winters and hot summers if you are close to the 101. On the beach more mild.
Yeah, that's true, but at least San Clemente and Dana Point are not anywhere near as bad as areas farther to the north (i.e. Irvine, Huntington Beach, ect.). South OC is a choice for me because of the amazing scenery (which is better than any coastal area in San Diego) and the slightly warmer water temps and air temps (I' am a surfer, so that's why that is of some importance).

However, I like the area around SLO alot, and the town itselt. The scenery up there is greener and the open countryside and Mountain scenery is amazing as well. The fact that SLO is no more than a few minutes from either Pismo Beach or Morro Bay is pretty cool. Also, the city of SLO itself is small/close-knit, but at the same time big enough that it also has everything that you would need or want for a town it's size. I always enjoyed my visits to San Luis Obispo and San Luis Obispo County in general. I believe that it is the California experience at it's best.

So as you can probably see, it is a very tough decision for me to make, since I really like both areas alot.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah! Dang those old people anyway. Just sign me
lol. too funny! Where is that sign located anyway? I would be willing to bet that the older guy in the photo put that sign up just to be funny.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Somewhere near good medical facilities.
Somewhere near a university as there are activities.

But ultimately, I think, I'd rather be near my family, kids, and grandkids regardless of where they lived.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
lol. too funny! Where is that sign located anyway? I would be willing to bet that the older guy in the photo put that sign up just to be funny.
Wish I knew and you're probably right.

But at least we can figure out how the old farts know to cross there. I still haven't figured how deer know where to cross despite the signs.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
The icon on the sign was photo-shopped from the picture of the guy. You can see that the posture of the silhouette exactly matches the perspective of the pedestrian. No one could match a pose that exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California