Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM

130 posts, read 902,549 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've tried to find the answer on the DMV site but with no luck.
So, this spring i'll need to renew my registration but it's also a smog check year.
I'm "wintering" elsewhere and may not be able to make it back to California in time.
If it wasn't a smog check year i could just renew on-line.
Does anyone know if i can get a smog check (or the equivalent) in another state and file it with the CA DMV via mail so that if i can't get back to CA in time, i can renew my registration from out of state?
Probably not huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,385 times
Pay your registration fees to avoid late penalty. They'll send you a letter saying they will withhold renewing your registration until you pass a smog check.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Pay your registration fees to avoid late penalty. They'll send you a letter saying they will withhold renewing your registration until you pass a smog check.
That sounds smart.
Of course i'll be driving illegally and may get stopped and penalized for that.
So i assume that you're saying there's no way to get and show the CA DMV an out of state smog check?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I actually had a similar situation in the past. I couldn't get my truck to pass smog, but paid the registration fee anyway. It went into an "incomplete registration" status. No new sticker was issued and I got stopped and cited by the CHP for no tags. Went to court and pointed out in the vehicle code where it says it's OK to drive with an incomplete registration. Judge dismissed the case and was about to impose a $10 dismissal fee. I said "Your honor, the reason I couldn't smog the truck was because I was poor. Now you're going to assess a fee on a person for being right , but poor?"

He dismissed the fee as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I actually had a similar situation in the past. I couldn't get my truck to pass smog, but paid the registration fee anyway. It went into an "incomplete registration" status. No new sticker was issued and I got stopped and cited by the CHP for no tags. Went to court and pointed out in the vehicle code where it says it's OK to drive with an incomplete registration. Judge dismissed the case and was about to impose a $10 dismissal fee. I said "Your honor, the reason I couldn't smog the truck was because I was poor. Now you're going to assess a fee on a person for being right , but poor?"

He dismissed the fee as well.
Very good.
So if i get stopped and the CHP'r want's to give me a ticket, i'll mention that part of the vehicle code ... and bat my eyes at him.
It may even work.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
Good luck on that, my ticket was issued by a female CHP officer and batting my eyelids didn't work at all.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireeskye View Post
Hi all,
I've tried to find the answer on the DMV site but with no luck.
So, this spring i'll need to renew my registration but it's also a smog check year.
I'm "wintering" elsewhere and may not be able to make it back to California in time.
If it wasn't a smog check year i could just renew on-line.
Does anyone know if i can get a smog check (or the equivalent) in another state and file it with the CA DMV via mail so that if i can't get back to CA in time, i can renew my registration from out of state?
Probably not huh?
If you are actually out of California at the time your renewal is due, submit your renewal fees along with a Statement of Facts printed out from the DMV web site. Check the box in Section B, Smog Exemption, and state where you are currently located.

You must also complete a change of address form showing where you are currently at. Your completed registration card and sticker will be mailed to you.

When you return to California, change your address back to your California address and complete your SMOG check.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If you are actually out of California at the time your renewal is due, submit your renewal fees along with a Statement of Facts printed out from the DMV web site. Check the box in Section B, Smog Exemption, and state where you are currently located.

You must also complete a change of address form showing where you are currently at. Your completed registration card and sticker will be mailed to you.

When you return to California, change your address back to your California address and complete your SMOG check.
Very good .... Thank you.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
I know a guy whos tags expired 9/10. He has not stopped driving his car & has not been stopped yet & he drives all over redlands, yucaipa & surrounding area. Hhes very lucky to have not been red lighted yet + he has no valid auto insurance. He owes about $250.00 in dmv fees & penalties. Hes out of work & his unemployment has ran out. His family helps him out every month Just so he can pay rent, utilities, food & gas. I wonder how long his luck will continue ? Its been 5 months so far. A few yrs back i had a chance to buy a clean smog exempt 83 mercedez diesel & i didnt. Big mistake. Smog checks in ca should be every 4 yrs but that wont happen cause its bilions less for the state & puke legislature to waste.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I know a guy whos tags expired 9/10. He has not stopped driving his car & has not been stopped yet & he drives all over redlands, yucaipa & surrounding area. Hhes very lucky to have not been red lighted yet + he has no valid auto insurance. He owes about $250.00 in dmv fees & penalties. Hes out of work & his unemployment has ran out. His family helps him out every month Just so he can pay rent, utilities, food & gas. I wonder how long his luck will continue ? Its been 5 months so far. A few yrs back i had a chance to buy a clean smog exempt 83 mercedez diesel & i didnt. Big mistake. Smog checks in ca should be every 4 yrs but that wont happen cause its bilions less for the state & puke legislature to waste.
I spent my youth driving illegally ... uninsured, often unregistered.
I was always keeping an eye out for cops. It got to the point where even when i was walking, i'd jump inside when i saw the law 'cause i was so used to feeling "illegal".
I can't deal with that kind of paranoia anymore.
I hope your friend's luck continues but the price he may have to pay if caught might be more than the money spent to make the car legal.
I don't like to spend the annual auto fees but i gotta say, if it's helping the environment, to me it's worth it.
What's the state doing with all of that money anyway? besides wasting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California