Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a California resident, but I am currently activity duty military stationed in Delaware. I have 4 months left before my honorable discharge and move back to California. I am trying to figure out if it is cheaper for me to buy a used truck here since there is no sales tax or just wait to buy it while I am back in California? I understand the emissions part... I am just not sure how much it will cost in taxes and fees to register a truck. What I am looking at are 2005-2007 Chevy/GMC 2 door 1500 series for about $10-15,000. Thank you or any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
If you buy a car out of state and register it in California within a certain period (1 year?), California will charge you sales tax. The actual registration will probably be about $150-200 on that truck.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
The actual truck may be cheaper there though, or you might find one with lower miles more easily. When I first used-car shopped in So-Cal, I was surprised at how many cars that were only 3-5 years old had 120K miles or more on them. My only guess is that more people tend to commute longer here, so the average yearly mileage is higher than in other states.

I'd do some searches online for the area you're in now and the area you'll be in when you arrive in CA, and compare the cost and mileage of the trucks you find. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Registration is going to give you a thump in the chest. Trucks have always been more as we pay a additional road tax by weight. A new 2010 truck will cost over $1000 A year now. They go down in cost every two years. But this year Arnold raised auto registration. Technically he only raised the yearly tax, but that is included each year with your tag fees.

If you buy a SUV it will be half the price yearly as a truck as they do not have commercial plates.

And as others have mentioned if you buy within a certain time period CA will charge sales tax. You also run a risk of the truck not passing CA smog. When tested here in CA the seller is responsible for the vehicle passing smog. Unless you are foolish enough to sign the receipt "as is".

Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Registration is going to give you a thump in the chest. Trucks have always been more as we pay a additional road tax by weight. A new 2010 truck will cost over $1000 A year now. They go down in cost every two years. But this year Arnold raised auto registration. Technically he only raised the yearly tax, but that is included each year with your tag fees.

If you buy a SUV it will be half the price yearly as a truck as they do not have commercial plates.

And as others have mentioned if you buy within a certain time period CA will charge sales tax. You also run a risk of the truck not passing CA smog. When tested here in CA the seller is responsible for the vehicle passing smog. Unless you are foolish enough to sign the receipt "as is".
Since when do privately owned pickup trucks like a Sierra 1500 have commercial plates and weight fees? I'm pretty sure they're under 6,000lb.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm pretty sure they're under 6,000lb.
yeah, under. but close. ~5,300lbs.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Godfather had to get commercial plate for his Chevrolet El Camino... he had regular plates and got pulled over by the CHP... went to court and ended up getting Commercial...

Lot of Sale People used Station Wagons... once upon a time because they could get around the commercial licensing...

Neighbor traded in his heavy duty Ford Excursion for an equivalent Truck... he was shocked at how much more he has to pay for the Truck...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Godfather had to get commercial plate for his Chevrolet El Camino... he had regular plates and got pulled over by the CHP... went to court and ended up getting Commercial...

Lot of Sale People used Station Wagons... once upon a time because they could get around the commercial licensing...

Neighbor traded in his heavy duty Ford Excursion for an equivalent Truck... he was shocked at how much more he has to pay for the Truck...
So you're saying everyone driving around in Tacomas, Titans, and F150's are supposed to have commercial plates?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So you're saying everyone driving around in Tacomas, Titans, and F150's are supposed to have commercial plates?
Yes that is my understanding...

How to Change from Commercial License Plates to Auto License Plates Check List

There are exceptions for Vehicle for Human Habitation and I have passenger car plates on my 1930 Model A Truck... I believe any commercial vehicle pre 1936 can run passenger plates and not pay weight fees...

A pet-peeve of mine is my Brother was ticketed for parking in a loading while loading his 3/4 ton Ford Truck in Oakland... he fought it and won... the officer maintained that just because a vehicle has commercial plates doesn't entitle it to park in a Loading Zone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California