Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM

142 posts, read 754,842 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll!

I'm planning on relocating to Los Angeles by July 2008 from Texas. I was at first planning to buy a new car (finance) once I moved there, but after reading many posts here, I can see that finances become a burden for most people once they move. So I was thinking that I'll probably drive my car and use it for a few months before I get a new one.

My question is, has anybody here gone through this process? My car is a 2000 Dodge Neon (reason why I was planning on getting a new one once I moved). Is the process (to change the plates to California plates) very costly? Will my car have to undergo certain changes to meet California regulations?

I just want to know if it's worth driving it from here or just flying and buying a new car. I'm not rich, and I have to try to save on everything I can.

Thanks loads in advance for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
why don't you do what most of your fellow Texan transplants do in CA, and drive your car with Texas plates for a few years? Kidding of course - but that's actually what many do to avoid paying the fees of transferring registration, plus CA charges a heck of a lot more for registering than in other states.

It is most likely not worth it for you to drive your 2000 Neon here to CA with TX plates, because you will not get much for it on either a trade in or selling it as a private party. (You can check kbb.com for more info)

I would recommend buying a car here, but the car you drive can cost as little or as much as you decide. If you purchase a used vehicle you will not have a car note to bother you every month, only the insurance and registration (although many drivers in LA don't believe either of those need to be paid, but that's a "whole nother" section of City-Data). The trick to managing your finances and living in CA is to live within your means.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Hi DonH8Me! I don't hate you, on the contrary, thanks a million for your answer! :-)

I'm still thinking about it. I'd really hate to drive almost 30 hours to L.A. and to sell my car for nothing. My car is a bit old, yes LOL, but I've taken care of it and it's really good... it has never given me problems... sooo it's either selling here and maybe facing hardships to buy a new auto once I fly to L.A., or selling there and getting crap for my car but which'll give me peace of mind by already having a ride without having to rent a car for a few weeks until I get the new vehicle... big dilemma LOL

Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM

15 posts, read 98,928 times
What are the costs to transfer/register a car to CA?

We have a 2007 Subaru bought in Washington which has 10,000 miles. Someone mentioned that we would have to pay California tax on the car. If that is true, I'm thinking I would rather drive with Washington plates/insurance.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:32 PM

22 posts, read 217,704 times
All this info can be found here
DMV-Online Appointment System-Vehicle Registration Information

Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM

40 posts, read 445,310 times
I just moved here from FL and had to get a new liscence and liscence plate. You have to do both if you are moving here from out of state, and you dont have very long to do it.

I spent maybe $90 total for everything. You also have to do a smog test, but that worked out fine for me.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM

422 posts, read 1,819,218 times
We just registered a 2000 Civic and a 1999 Honda CR-V from out of state and it cost us about $300 total, including the smog tests.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM

Hi Superbusymom, Financedot, MightyGhandi, and Cubancoffee...

From your responses, I already have an idea of what to expect if I do decide to take my car. Thanks loads! :-)

Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 PM

11 posts, read 108,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
I'd really hate to drive almost 30 hours to L.A. and to sell my car for nothing.
Whoa. Where on earth are you getting 30 hours? I drove here from Philadelphia and it was only 42-48 hours of actual driving. If you are willing to drive most of the day--and it's fairly tough, but doable--I would say drive for a day, stay in a hotel (I stayed near the Grand Canyon and spent a day there, which is quiet nice) and then you can easily drive to LA in another day. Actually, that is exactly how long it took me to get from Texas to LA, and I was in LA by early afternoon on the second day.

If you weren't planning on buying a new car for a few years without the move, this is definitely the way to go. Plus, you would be shocked how much you can cram into a car... way better than shipping things!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 AM

22 posts, read 217,704 times
I just moved from Austin to Redondo Beach and here are some hard facts:
I drove Penske 16' truck with a car carrier loaded with RAV4.
It took 14 hours to get to El Paso. It took 16 hours to get to Carson to Penske facility.
Track rental plus the carrier plus the gas plus the food plus the hotel about $1,000

- $50 to get smog check for each car
- $480 to register 2005 RAV4
- $120 to register 2000 Accord
- $27 for CA drivers license

Insurance impact is still unknown, I am going to call them tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California