Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Which is why this didn't really take off. Although I wonder why we still can't do it when our country produces a surplus a food every year?
Because America exports excess food to the rest of the world thus making a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Perhaps everyone will gradually get thinner due to the food supplies having to be portioned back down to what they were in the 60s and such.
Nope, won't happen. Food is a necessity and to some it's an addiction. They'll go without something else.

The only way to get back to food consumption of the '60s is to kill off all the difference between population then and now.

I keep saying that birth control is part of the solution to many of our environmental problems, although I doubt people would accept that. We are the human equivalent of an algae bloom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
We could pump sea water to our desserts and have all the fuel or alcohol producing plants we want without effecting food prices.
I'd love to see you try to convince environmentalists of that. In addition to ruining the environment it could even change the weather.

I always love to see the windmills in the Palm Springs I-10/Hwy. 62 area but there are environmentalists who hate the 'mills and want them removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Nobody's putting seawater on my dessert, and that's final.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Where was that, in Libya? The lowest I remember seeing in So Cal (as a licensed driver) was .25 during a gas war in 1971. The lowest I've ever paid was .26 that same year.
Actually it was Florida, sometime in the 1970s.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
I remember some odd 6 to 10 years ago, several gas stations were selling gas around 1$ per gallon. Can't remember if it was here in California or in the Midwest.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Gas does not have to be high. This is utter BS & its all about greed. The crisis in the middle east hopefully ends soon but i doubt it. I need a car to get to work & this is hurting me big time.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nobody's putting seawater on my dessert, and that's final.

Not even if it comes with an Oreo?

Oreo-dory

or a

Blobfish

for some stimulating conversation at the table?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Not even if it comes with an Oreo?

Oreo-dory

or a

Blobfish

for some stimulating conversation at the table?
Got recipe?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Nope, won't happen. Food is a necessity and to some it's an addiction. They'll go without something else.

The only way to get back to food consumption of the '60s is to kill off all the difference between population then and now.

I keep saying that birth control is part of the solution to many of our environmental problems, although I doubt people would accept that. We are the human equivalent of an algae bloom.

I'd love to see you try to convince environmentalists of that. In addition to ruining the environment it could even change the weather.

I always love to see the windmills in the Palm Springs I-10/Hwy. 62 area but there are environmentalists who hate the 'mills and want them removed.
I say we gradually scale back consumption and deal with any losses as circumstantial.
We got to cut off the arm to save the rest of the body, but since many believe that all life is precious, no matter how damaging, this will be a hard chip for many to swallow.

As for birth control, perhaps child-bearing should be limited to the more educated or resource-conscious bunch.
I'd much rather have some MD's, engineers, and farmers having kids than say, some paper-pushers or menial-task types that seem to only have kids out of passion, then do jack-spit to properly rear them.

As far as the windmills vs. environuts go, someone should infiltrate their organizational ranks, become the chairman, and then dissolve the entire thing once they get to the top.

Michael Moore wants to do that to the NRA, so the same could happen to one of his preferred groups.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM

178 posts, read 523,891 times
its been 5 in Canada forever, you Californians need to wake up

Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
its been 5 in Canada forever, you Californians need to wake up
At least you guys know how to suck it up.
If it went up to $5 here, I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bicycle in the street after that.
I'd be getting that "zombie wants food" stare rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California