Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I say we gradually scale back consumption and deal with any losses as circumstantial.
We got to cut off the arm to save the rest of the body, but since many believe that all life is precious, no matter how damaging, this will be a hard chip for many to swallow.
You've got the wrong analogy. Each arm wants to cut off the other arm, and both arms would rather cut off one of the legs. They'll never agree on which one gets thrown under the bus.

Quote:
As for birth control, perhaps child-bearing should be limited to the more educated or resource-conscious bunch.
I'd much rather have some MD's, engineers, and farmers having kids than say, some paper-pushers or menial-task types that seem to only have kids out of passion, then do jack-spit to properly rear them.
Haha, good luck with that. Thanks for including me (an engineer) in the ranks of those who will be allowed to propagate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
its been 5 in Canada forever, you Californians need to wake up
Yeah but that's in pesos. What's that in real dollars, like about 50 cents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM

178 posts, read 523,891 times
Quote:
At least you guys know how to suck it up.
If it went up to $5 here, I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bicycle in the street after that.
I'd be getting that "zombie wants food" stare rather quickly.
I'm being serious here. You guys in California really have no clue how good you have it compared to the rest of the world. Right now I have to deal with 15 F for 3 months now, and it is only been warmer 2-3 days, this is no exaggeration.

So biking is out of the question, imagine taking a bus in 15 F weather to get to work and freezing yourself numb in the process.

Not only that everything else is also expensive, we pay 30% more and get taxed on it too.

Pic of last nights gas prices. Thats per liter for premium. Do the math, its $5.60 to fill up your Cadillac Escalade which only takes premium.

Moral of the story, make room for Canadians.. like me

Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
This is something you want to tout?

The United States alone has way more oil available than the Middle East. Oil prices are only high because of greed and corruption. We could be paying less than a dollar a gallon and our oil supply can easily last many generations, long after new technology is developed to replace oil.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM

178 posts, read 523,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You've got the wrong analogy. Each arm wants to cut off the other arm, and both arms would rather cut off one of the legs. They'll never agree on which one gets thrown under the bus.

Haha, good luck with that. Thanks for including me (an engineer) in the ranks of those who will be allowed to propagate.

Yeah but that's in pesos. What's that in real dollars, like about 50 cents?
Very funny. How funny will it be when me and 5 of my friends come to California, make minimum wage and still live life life better than we ever could in Canada And then, we will tell our many friends back home!

Get ready for frostbacks outnumbering wettybacks

Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
You Canadians would pay $10 just to keep the engine running / heaters on in the cold weather ... we got options

Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:

Moral of the story, make room for Canadians.. like me
Now you see, all you Californians I have been warning about the evil from the north! Proof in point positive ... they're coming ... you're watching the wrong border ... they want the oranges and avocados ... and their weapon of choice is the freaking weather they send down south

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Very funny. How funny will it be when me and 5 of my friends come to California, make minimum wage and still live life life better than we ever could in Canada And then, we will tell our many friends back home!

Get ready for frostbacks outnumbering wettybacks
Move to Vancouver. The winters are milder than most other parts of Canada. Plus, you'd be close enough to the border to fill up on cheap US gas.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I'm being serious here. You guys in California really have no clue how good you have it compared to the rest of the world. Right now I have to deal with 15 F for 3 months now, and it is only been warmer 2-3 days, this is no exaggeration.
Quote:
Very funny. How funny will it be when me and 5 of my friends come to California, make minimum wage and still live life life better than we ever could in Canada
If it was that bad there and that good here you would come. The fact that you are not here proves that both places have both advantages and disadvantages over the other. You cannot just single out weather and gasoline and come to any comprehensive judgement about the relative merit of the two countries and which place is better to live. (Not even when you got the short end of the stick on both.)

I guess we know one thing for sure, things are better in America than they are in Mexico.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
This is something you want to tout?

The United States alone has way more oil available than the Middle East. Oil prices are only high because of greed and corruption. We could be paying less than a dollar a gallon and our oil supply can easily last many generations, long after new technology is developed to replace oil.
You're right. Its all about greed & corruption by low life humans. Hopefully someday soon they get their just deserts.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
You're right. Its all about greed & corruption by low life humans. Hopefully someday soon they get their just deserts.
We may get our desserts while baking in the deserts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California