Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Quote where i said that and I'll make sure to give your silly arse an e-quarter.
Perhaps you should make an effort to keep track of the discussion? The person that suggested that low-taxes spur innovation was another poster and I was responding to his posts. You took it upon yourself to distort my posts.

Quote:
You tried time and time again to suggest high taxes (high tax states) are home of innovation and all great things in the world. I showed that is not true by data/facts/analysis and showed examples of low tax states exhibiting many qualities of higher tax states to show your theory to be wrong...
I stated that the vast majority of innovative start-ups are created in high-tax states, you've done nothing to refute this assertion, instead you've just distorted it like you are doing now.

You refuse to have reasoned dialog, but its fine, take shelter in those that agree with you. None of this is any skin of my nose, I benefit greatly from policies that extract wealth from the proles and strengthen capital owners grip on them.

Last edited by user_id; 03-30-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
http://www.calwatchdog.com/2010/08/3...st-state-jobs/
The bigger picture :

One of our best analysts of California is the well-known author Joel Kotkin. In his August 8, 2010 article, “The Golden State’s War on Itself,” he wrote:

Between 2003 and 2007, California state and local government spending grew 31 percent, even as the state’s population grew just 5 percent. The overall tax burden as a percentage of state income, once middling among the states, has risen to the sixth-highest in the nation, says the Tax Foundation. Since 1990, according to an analysis by California Lutheran University, the state’s share of overall U.S. employment has dropped a remarkable 10 percent.

What about the “New Economy” of high-tech, eco-friendly jobs? Kotkin reported:

Silicon Valley, for instance—despite the celebrated success of Google and Apple—has 130,000 fewer jobs now than it had a decade ago, with office vacancy above 20 percent. In Los Angeles, garment factories and aerospace companies alike are shutting down. Toyota has abandoned its Fremont plant.

Comment from the thread :
"September 1, 2010 at 9:53 am
My wife and I are engineers and we used to live in Northern California. We were paying over $800/month in state income taxes combined with a very high sales tax and rent. We moved to Texas in 2007 for less rent, less sales tax, and no income tax. Kind of a no-brainer, actually."

Q. And yet your studies and those of others suggest there is
no relationship between low taxes and high growth or high
taxes and slower growth rates?
A. Yes. Here, as I said, the evidence is mixed. Barro finds that there is such a relationship, and others uncover one, but many
studies find that there is no such relationship. So the evidence is not at all clear.

There are many factors that influence all the points discussed in this thread. What the evidence shows is that people are leaving... Businesses are leaving .. and even though you can cite a silly case of this startup being founded here .. this startup being founded there.. innovation and all that hogwash... you can't deny the bigger picture. I am not going to sit here and say what's the dominant cause for the bigger picture.. However, high taxes definitely is 'a' factor.

If you actually worked and rubbed shoulders in the Valley, you would know that the hottest thing currently going on is social media ... It's the next big bubble that is set to burst... It is sucking up talent much like wallstreet has not to 'innovate' .. but to come up w/ the next biggest scam/hype story in order to make cash. It's not innovation, it's desperation to try to make a quick short term profit to be able to sustain living. Several ranking friends from Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, M.I.T I know are currently involved in them... Their only aim is to build enough of a hype story around their product and be bought up. A slew of talent and potential is being wasted on nothing beneficial to society... No different from the huge vacuum suck going on in NY in way of engineering talent.
The smaller picture of present day clowns creating schemes to make money does not speak to the bigger economic picture of jobs.

Again :

What about the “New Economy” of high-tech, eco-friendly jobs? Kotkin reported:

Silicon Valley, for instance—despite the celebrated success of Google and Apple—has 130,000 fewer jobs now than it had a decade ago, with office vacancy above 20 percent. In Los Angeles, garment factories and aerospace companies alike are shutting down. Toyota has abandoned its Fremont plant.

Take your head out of the sky and come talk to the most innovating community in California ... Work at one of these amazing companies and sample people who decide to stay w/ the company but move to Texas ... to x,y,z ... But besides these 'cases'. The broad picture is painted and its damning. You can ignore it all you like and trying to make invalid casual arguments in line with your biased view. It's there and it will continue to be there.

And if you think CA is going to continue to be an economic powerhouse by being the birth of a couple of silly startups.. You are sadly mistaken. You need a diverse portfolio of jobs and you need a balanced level of taxation/service. The weather helps this place a great deal. But guess what, taxes didn't create mother nature.

Goes to back all the friggin things I said on this thread..... What a waste of time.
Your sources quoted are through Pacific Research Institute, which is funded by the Kochs. It isn't surprising that their studies are going to be in favor of lower taxes, less regulation, and the usual big business corporate agenda.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Like I said he is completely ignorant on many facts and can't seem to realize his own ignorance. He is a complete waste of time.
Once again you insult instead of addressing actual issues....

Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger and an order of zucchini. In-n-who?
I had a Western bacon cheeseburger last night for dinner since I had a coupon (2 burgers for $4.00). That's my favorite item from Carl's Jr. Their milkshakes and malts are pretty good, too.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
As the old saying goes, 'It's not what you've got but how you use it', and in the case of liberal-created hellholes including CA, IL. NY, NJ & others, those constantly increasing taxes are NOT going into infrastructure projects which could put thousands of people to work, but the outized amount of clout which that superb job-killing species known as environmentalists have in Sacramento is an albatross worn by every citizen of the state of California, and especially here in LA County.

The assertion that 'Higher education spending CAUSES both innovation and higher taxes' reeks of outright stupidity; nobody whose IQ is higher than his or her shoe size would ever believe such unadulterated nonsense.

Start with the fact that a gallon of gasoline is $1.00/gallon cheaper in Dallas than it is in Los Angeles, add in all of the other huge differences in prices between numerous items in DFW vs. LA or SF, and the blame for those dispartities can be laid with 100% certainty at the feet of the local governing body.

The fact that the folks who wish to build a football stadium in downtown LA had to conduct an environmental impact report which will take over a year to complete is beyond asinine; how the hell is anybody supposed to determine what the environmental impact for a football stadium is??????

Can you say 'exercise in futility?????'

Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
This thread is over a year old. Did they ever actually move anything?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This thread is over a year old. Did they ever actually move anything?
According to Wikipedia, they are located in Carpentieria, California. When did they leave Anaheim?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
CKE has said they will stay in Carpenteria through at least the end of their lease in 2015. I think this whole thing was just posturing. There are only 120 people at HQ. It is unlikely any of them want to move.

Carls Jr is opening restaurants like crazy in Texas. It is my belief that CKE was looking for fast track on approvals by hinting they may move to Texas. They may have also wanted to get some concessions from California.

In any case, it is not a huge personnel move, mostly bragging rights for Texas. It will depend how much they are willing to pay for that bragging and I would be surprised if it ever happens.

If CKE was all that eager to move, they would have bought out their lease and moved. It isn't that big a presence in Carpenteria. I should add that Carpenteria has some of the best weather in the world. Texas, not so much.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
CKE has said they will stay in Carpenteria through at least the end of their lease in 2015. I think this whole thing was just posturing. There are only 120 people at HQ. It is unlikely any of them want to move.

Carls Jr is opening restaurants like crazy in Texas. It is my belief that CKE was looking for fast track on approvals by hinting they may move to Texas. They may have also wanted to get some concessions from California.

In any case, it is not a huge personnel move, mostly bragging rights for Texas. It will depend how much they are willing to pay for that bragging and I would be surprised if it ever happens.

If CKE was all that eager to move, they would have bought out their lease and moved. It isn't that big a presence in Carpenteria. I should add that Carpenteria has some of the best weather in the world. Texas, not so much.
120 in a town as small as Carpenteria is a lot. They need to do what it takes to keep them.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
What is the new destination for Carl's Jr's headquarters? India? China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California