Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What's your source for that?
I read an L.A. Times article years ago which stated that.

As I don't subscribe to the LAT I can't access its archives online. I don't know if even subscribers can access the archives online for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
in 1846-48 Lee was pretty much a non entity. Just another Federal officer engaged in the Multi year long occupation of Mexico City.

He did not know San Diego Bay from the Straits of San Juan De Fuca.

Commodore Stockton on the other hand was anchored in San Diego Bay.

The Americans considered keeping Baja California (its seaports too were occupied by the Americans as were all of Mexico's major Pacific ports.

Santa Anna convinced the US to draw the boundary where it remained until the US figured out they could not run a southern rail route across the dry land they held, and had to buy, for a healthy sum a strip along southern Arizona so they could water the locomotives (The Gadsen Purchase).

Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There were less than 400K people in the entire state of which about 25% were in San Francisco itself. (SF's population boomed after the Civil War) and of which about 5% were in Sacramento itself.

So Cal was referred to as "the cow counties". It was rural and agricultural. Santa Barbara was the largest town in the south then.

As I mentioned on another thread - there is a Robert E. Lee connection to California, but before the Civil War. Then-Major Lee was responsible for the border being drawn where it is today rather than at Point Conception, because he thought San Diego Bay was a good natural harbor which could be used as a naval base.
...and so it was

Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
What a cool thread. Thanks all for the insight. I love the topic of CA history.

Rep points all around.(smiles).

Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I agree, awesome thread indeed.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I love CA history too, that's why I started this topic. I especially love finding out new things about California that I wasn't aware of, such how close secession came to SoCal.

Just think how different everything would be today if Buchanan had agreed to let California split in two!

California has a very interesting history in its own right!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I love CA history too, that's why I started this topic. I especially love finding out new things about California that I wasn't aware of, such how close secession came to SoCal.

Just think how different everything would be today if Buchanan had agreed to let California split in two!

I agree. Good thread.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Ever been to east county san diego.... If you go thru lakeside you would swear you were in old dixie.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

Add me to everyone else who agrees that this entire thread is very interesting and informative. California does indeed have an interesting history that, unfortunately, many Californians don't bother getting to know. Thanks so much for posting. Reps to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California