Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 PM

26 posts, read 114,274 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to live that is in commuting distance of Edwards Air Force Base? I would like to buy a house someday. Acton? Canyon Country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM

158 posts, read 604,759 times
Acton and Canyon country would be pretty far. My mom commutes from west Palmdale and it takes her about an hour to get to her location on base. Communities around Edwards are California City, Mojave, Rosamond, etc. My mom also has co-workers who commute from Tehachapi.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 AM

61 posts, read 177,668 times
when does she leave (6am? 8am?) is it due to traffic or just distance? can you not go at highway speeds on all of 14-N?
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Let's say you live on the west side in a decent area, say off Rancho Vista which is Ave. P. You are probably a few redlights and/or stop signs from the freeway. Let's give that 10 minutes. Now you are on the 14 and head north. You watch the signs count up, Ave N,M,L,K all the way to A (each letter is a mile), then another 3 miles to get to Rosamond Blvd. Let's say you were cruising on the freeway 70-75 and that 18 miles only took 15 minutes. Rosamond has 3 lights if I remember correctly and then you are heading to what looks like nowhere until you see the EAFB sign, then more nothing for about 10 miles (they use to be quite strict on speeding on the base) until you reach the guard shack. Then more miles to get to the base proper. Depending on where you work along the flightline, that can be quite a few more miles, but let's cut it at 16 from the Rosamond exit, and 20 minutes. Total in this example is 45 minutes and that is not messing around. Now if you live in east Lancaster and go in the south gate then you could make it a lot faster.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM

158 posts, read 604,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjello View Post
when does she leave (6am? 8am?) is it due to traffic or just distance? can you not go at highway speeds on all of 14-N?
Thanks!

I believe she has to be at work around 7:00am. It's not traffic at all, it's just distance. You can go highway speeds all along the way, but as a previous poster pointed out, not all of the driving is highway driving. And yes, they're still very strict on speeding at the base.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 43,576 times
Well if you like a small town atmosphere that is only 35 minutes from the bigger cities of Lancaster and Palmdale where most of us do our shopping and then leave to get away from all the big city garbage, I would select California City. I have lived here since 1985 (pop 2,300) and we now have over 14,000 residents and homes are affordable. Check out ilovecaliforniacity.com

Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM

10 posts, read 37,214 times
I'm currently in Izmir, Turkey and will be coming back to the US in three months, after serving nearly four decades in the military and DoD. I'm considering buying a home in either Palmdale or Lancaster (leaning toward Palmdale more so I can be closer to my daughter in LA). Can anyone tell me where is the better place to live in Palmdale (or Lancaster). It seems the 'east' side in any areas or States is not very favorable...is it this way in Palmdale or Lancaster too? I've been searching for homes in these areas for several months and have seen lots of homes I really like but a bit hisitant as you can understand. I'm including my email in case anyone want to write (edwardbm200302@yahoo.com) Thanking everyone in advance and hoping I can join and help make 'our' community better and safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California