Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,466 times

Advertisements

I ran across a very interesting article talking about how Southern California - San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Bernardino (at the time Ventura, Riverside, Orange, and Imperial were part of the above counties), basically voted to secede from Northern California in 1859. The new state would have been named "Colorado". (This was before the current state of Colorado was created.)

Not only was the Secession law passed in the state legislature and signed by the governor, it was approved by 2/3 of the voters in Southern California. Only because Congress and President Buchanan declined to take action, did it not actually occur.

Full story:
Civil War: How Southern California Tried to Split from Northern California | History | SoCal Focus | KCET

Anyway I thought this was very interesting history that you don't hear about much! (And for the record I am glad Southern California did not split off and join the South in the Civil War).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I ran across a very interesting article talking about how Southern California - San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Bernardino (at the time Ventura, Riverside, Orange, and Imperial were part of the above counties), basically voted to secede from Northern California in 1859. The new state would have been named "Colorado". (This was before the current state of Colorado was created.)

Not only was the Secession law passed in the state legislature and signed by the governor, it was approved by 2/3 of the voters in Southern California. Only because Congress and President Buchanan declined to take action, did it not actually occur.

Full story:
Civil War: How Southern California Tried to Split from Northern California | History | SoCal Focus | KCET

Anyway I thought this was very interesting history that you don't hear about much! (And for the record I am glad Southern California did not split off and join the South in the Civil War).
Yes, there were Southern transplants in SoCal who sympathized with the South and also wanted to have slaves but that was against the state constitition.

So they cohorted with Californios who still had grudges stemming from the Mexican-American war which handed CA(and other territories) over to the US with the signing of the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

Also, I posted a link in the SF forum about the Civil War and how Southern California attracted people from Southern states while Northern California received many more people from Northern states.

Its a very interesting story indeed.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,361 times
Visalia in the San Joaquin Valley was considered such a hotbed of Southern sympathizers during the Civil War that the US government had 2 companies of cavalry set up Camp Babbitt to maintain control.

According to a military history, troopers arrested the pro-South editor of one of the town's 2 newspapers (the other paper was pro-Union). A few months later troopers headed to that Southern supporting newspaper office and "completely wrecked the office . . . breaking the doors and windows of the building, breaking the press, and throwing the type, paper, ink, etc., in the street."
Historic California Posts: Camp Babbitt

Camp Babbitt was abandoned in late 1865/early 1866.

Interestingly, three decades later it was the publisher of a different Visalia newspaper, George W. Stewart, who led the campaign that made Sequoia the second US national park.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Fort Churchill Nevada, lay alongside the main east west route from Donner Pass east. Any travelers headed east were asked to take an oath to support the Union. The Confederate sympathizers refused to do so when they refused they were arrested and put on road gangs for the duration of the war. They built a lot of roads in Western Nevada.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times
They were only concerned about money, not true confederate ideologies. They wanted to exploit minorities to make more money and not have to pay taxes to the federal government. I guess much still hasn't changed in So Cal.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
There are always traitors, just turn over a rock and you'll see them

Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Were there that many folks in So Cal at the time? My CA ancestors then were all up North.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Were there that many folks in So Cal at the time? My CA ancestors then were all up North.
There were less than 400K people in the entire state of which about 25% were in San Francisco itself. (SF's population boomed after the Civil War) and of which about 5% were in Sacramento itself.

So Cal was referred to as "the cow counties". It was rural and agricultural. Santa Barbara was the largest town in the south then.

As I mentioned on another thread - there is a Robert E. Lee connection to California, but before the Civil War. Then-Major Lee was responsible for the border being drawn where it is today rather than at Point Conception, because he thought San Diego Bay was a good natural harbor which could be used as a naval base.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
They were only concerned about money, not true confederate ideologies. They wanted to exploit minorities to make more money and not have to pay taxes to the federal government. I guess much still hasn't changed in So Cal.

What taxes could be paid to the federal government at that time?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As I mentioned on another thread - there is a Robert E. Lee connection to California, but before the Civil War. Then-Major Lee was responsible for the border being drawn where it is today rather than at Point Conception, because he thought San Diego Bay was a good natural harbor which could be used as a naval base.
What's your source for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California