Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No credible authority states that illegals are a negative on the economy, but, rather, that they are a wash, or a positive.

And, you complain of the high taxes in California, yet they are only 3% higher than the "low tax state" of Texas.

Sure wish you boys operated on facts instead of emotion.
Where does that 3% number you quote come from?

For 2009, per capita state+local taxes in California was $4,910.
The Tax Foundation - California's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2009

Per capita state+local taxes in Texas was $3,197.
The Tax Foundation - Texas' State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2009

California' per capita state/local tax burden is $1,713 or 53% higher than Texas.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well not an increase, but a tax extension.
only in California!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with most of this, however I think the issue with the current tax increase/extension a popular vote isn't such a bad idea.
Quote:
AB 131 would allow undocumented students access to state financial aid and Cal grants. The estimated impact of the AB 131 on the state coffers is $32.5 million
Yes, got to make sure enough money is in the state coffers for these programs. Of course if the extension/increase does not work, they will just cut services for legal residents to pay for it.

What a joke. How anyone can support a tax increase/extension is beyond me.

Half of California DREAM Act Passes First Hurdle in State Legislature (http://www.sanfernandosun.com/sanfernsun/news/6637-half-of-california-dream-act-passes-first-hurdle-in-state-legislature - broken link)

Old 04-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No credible authority states that illegals are a negative on the economy, but, rather, that they are a wash, or a positive.

And, you complain of the high taxes in California, yet they are only 3% higher than the "low tax state" of Texas.

Sure wish you boys operated on facts instead of emotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Where does that 3% number you quote come from?

For 2009, per capita state+local taxes in California was $4,910.
The Tax Foundation - California's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2009

Per capita state+local taxes in Texas was $3,197.
The Tax Foundation - Texas' State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2009

California' per capita state/local tax burden is $1,713 or 53% higher than Texas.

Great post hoffdano, 3% LOL.....

Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont mind paying a little more in taxes but I am incredibly weary of how our elected officials will spend it.

I dont want anymore money spent on increased bureaucracy or on hiring new state employees.\
I think that's the real key. I think most Americans wouldn't be as wary of increased taxes if it weren't for the fact that we know it will likely be wasted. This is what infuriates people the most.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yes, got to make sure enough money is in the state coffers for these programs. Of course if the extension/increase does not work, they will just cut services for legal residents to pay for it.

What a joke. How anyone can support a tax increase/extension is beyond me.

Half of California DREAM Act Passes First Hurdle in State Legislature (http://www.sanfernandosun.com/sanfernsun/news/6637-half-of-california-dream-act-passes-first-hurdle-in-state-legislature - broken link)
Here's an idea that swims around in my head from time to time. I wonder if the elected officials votes were anonymous, if their voting patterns would change? Think about it, politicians whether dems. or reps. tend to vote with their parties for fear of being ostracized. I wonder if this fear were eliminated, would they be more inclined to vote with their heads a bit better?

My response is mostly unrelated to yours but I'd like to see your point of view.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
In my humble experience of about 20 years doing legislative, including fiscal, analysis for the state, more money nominally went to the program for which it was intended and way too much was siphoned off for new and non-vital programs and pork.

The Legislature never saw a penny of the people's money it didn't want and couldn't spend.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Here's an idea that swims around in my head from time to time. I wonder if the elected officials votes were anonymous, if their voting patterns would change? Think about it, politicians whether dems. or reps. tend to vote with their parties for fear of being ostracized. I wonder if this fear were eliminated, would they be more inclined to vote with their heads a bit better?
If that occurred there would be no accountability, the constituents would have no idea of whether or not their representatives were really representing them and their views and there would be so much hanky-panky going on with the parties that the state would end up in an even worse mess.

As always, just one man's opinion!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

My response is mostly unrelated to yours but I'd like to see your point of view.
Interesting idea, sort of like survivor. It's certainly worth a try.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If that occurred there would be no accountability, the constituents would have no idea of whether or not their representatives were really representing them and their views and there would be so much hanky-panky going on with the parties that the state would end up in an even worse mess.

As always, just one man's opinion!
Makes sense either way and you having worked closely in the Ca. government, your opinion is certainly one to consider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California