Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 10,935 times

Advertisements

I mean seriously how would you make it in California making $10 bucks an hour & minimum wage being $8 an hour & the average house being $200,000 & way way over! & that's ghetto prices, to live in a good neighborhood is $400,000 & over....How do people survive in that state i just wouldn't put myself in that predicament to always be behind, i can understand if you're rich or close, but not an average American....I live in Arizona & i can get a lovely home with a pool & 4 bedrooms for $200,000 maybe less or a gated apartment for $400 a month & in San Diego, LA & SF you can't find a decent place for $1,000 a month..I Just want to know what's so grand about paying that much to live in California?..Not being smart or an A$$ but just wondering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,902 times
people don't buy $200,000 homes making minimum wage.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
People making minimum wage live with their parents or have several roommates sharing the rent on a run down apartment. Much the same as here in the Seattle area, with similar prices but at least we have no state income tax.

On minimum wage you'd have a hard time qualifying to buy any house, even if you could find one for $60,000.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,993,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweensince78 View Post
I mean seriously how would you make it in California making $10 bucks an hour & minimum wage being $8 an hour & the average house being $200,000 & way way over! & that's ghetto prices, to live in a good neighborhood is $400,000 & over....How do people survive in that state i just wouldn't put myself in that predicament to always be behind, i can understand if you're rich or close, but not an average American....I live in Arizona & i can get a lovely home with a pool & 4 bedrooms for $200,000 maybe less or a gated apartment for $400 a month & in San Diego, LA & SF you can't find a decent place for $1,000 a month..I Just want to know what's so grand about paying that much to live in California?..Not being smart or an A$$ but just wondering!
Well, the house down the road from me just sold in 2 days for over a million. The people that bought it are both University professors and don't make 10$ an hour. They are also in their 40's...not in their early 20's flipping burgers. It's not really a "predicament" for a lot of people here.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
People making minimum wage live with their parents or have several roommates sharing the rent on a run down apartment. Much the same as here in the Seattle area, with similar prices but at least we have no state income tax.

On minimum wage you'd have a hard time qualifying to buy any house, even if you could find one for $60,000.
I agree with you: the min wage is not meant to be a wage that can support a person or family. Most working for min wage are part timers, kids with summer jobs or 2 in a family. Even then you don't buy a house on min wage. Unfortunately not everyone can afford to buy and it is a priviledge not a right.

Nita

Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
Give up the Internet service your paying for to post this thread. That ought to help you out. Shall I continue with all the other crap people have that make minimum wage and then complain they don't have enough money to live on?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Quote:
Your 6th post and you are coming to the California forum to figure out how we make it. Interesting.

Sure it is a lot more expensive then lets say the Phoenix area. I know in Surprise AZ I could buy a nice home for around $75,000 right now. My home in Oxnard CA that we bought in December cost me $310,000.

How did I do that on minumum wage? Lets see, I either had all 6 kids working minumum wage jobs including my wife, or it is possible that I make way more than that as does my wife. She brings in $36,000 a year and works part time. I work full time and pull in more than double what she does. we did want to move to the Phoenix area when I joined this forum. I had a lot of questions about that area. We visit quite a bit to see family members.

So you may ask, why would we remain in sunny California, on the coast, with our mild climate where we do not use Air Conditioning and my electric bill hovers around $30 a month and not move to one of those lower priced homes in Surprise?

1. We could not find a job to replace the jobs that we have now.

2. Like Arizona home prices have declined to an affordable amount. For example our home sold in 2005 for $580,000 and by the top of the market in 2007 was in the high $600 to low $700K range.

3. We love working at the hospital that we have worked at for years and the only reason we had considered leaving was the cost of homes back in 2007.

4. We have spent our entire life here in this city and love living near the ocean. I see the Pacific every day of the year, maybe not from my house but still can see it every day.

5. Our utilities are cheap as we don't have to pay to cool the place, hardly have to pay to warm the place.

6. Commute time for us anyway is about 15 minutes from our home to work. (we both work at the same place.) If I had moved to the Phoenix area I more than likely would have been paying for lots of gas to get to work and time in the car.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,044,345 times
Quote:

As others said, people living on minimum wage aren't the ones buying these houses. You also have to understand that there are still many people who have owned their home for a long time, since before prices became so astronomical. "Regular" people used to be able to afford homes here. My parents have lived in the same house since 1976 and only still have a house payment because they've refinanced a couple of times. Their house payment is just $600/month!

It's also not expensive everywhere in CA. There are many cheaper places to live, but they typically are areas where there aren't a lot of jobs.

You also need to realize that many of us live here because that's where our lives are. I grew up in the Bay Area. Almost all of my friends and family are still here. For transplants who move here and have sticker shock, I'm sure it's much easier to just pack up and leave. There are still many of us here though who have lived here their whole lives and are attached to the area for many different reasons. My wife and I have decent jobs here as well. Without good jobs lined up and a family/friend support network, it would be hard to just move away to a cheaper area. Right now, it works for us. At some point, when my wife and I are ready to purchase a home again, we will probably be leaving the Bay Area...but not CA.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Give up the Internet service your paying for to post this thread. That ought to help you out. Shall I continue with all the other crap people have that make minimum wage and then complain they don't have enough money to live on?
I Don't want nor plan on moving to Cal so theirs no that will help me out & very little have internet & all the crap you mention because it is hard to survive these days $7 an hour is for a single person or kids working because it is not made for an average household working their A$$! off for $700 & something a **** month!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,488,067 times
Quote:
You don't. Instead, one should have realistic expectations.

[or move to Arizona]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California