Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

California inmates: Supreme Court orders California to release inmates - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/sc-dc-0524-court-prisons-web-20110523,0,2337401.story - broken link)

Quote:
Justices upheld an order from a three-judge panel in California that called for releasing 38,000 to 46,000 prisoners. Since then, the state has transferred about 9,000 state inmates to county jails. As a result, the total prison population is now about 32,000 more than the capacity limit set by the panel.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, speaking for the majority, said California's prisons had "fallen short of minimum constitutional requirements" because of overcrowding. As many as 200 prisoners may live in gymnasium, he said, and as many as 54 prisoners share a single toilet.

Kennedy insisted that the state had no choice but to release more prisoners. The justices, however, agreed that California officials should be given more time to make the needed reductions.

In dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia called the ruling "staggering" and "absurd."
Release them to Washington DC I say. Its easy for judges 3,000 miles away to disregard the public safety of Californians so why not give them a taste of their own medicine?

Put them on planes, trains and buses and send them to the steps of the Supreme Court to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
If they're going to do this, what they should do is select the least violent ones. Of course we know they don't do it that way. They basically pull numbers from a hat

Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If they're going to do this, what they should do is select the least violent ones. Of course we know they don't do it that way. They basically pull numbers from a hat
Typical incompetence from the CDC aided and abetted by generous CCPOA donations to the Legislature and other politicians.

What SHOULD be done is releasing nonviolent drug offenders, prostitutes, and the elderly (other than Charles Manson, Sirhan Sirhan, and others who deserve to be locked up until they die).

Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I'm told by one of the Captains for our local Conservation camp (Populated by inmates) that they are having a hard time meeting their minimum staffing levels for the crews. On paper, each crew is 15 inmates, but when they were here in town doing some work on our park, they only had 9 inmates.

I know the crews are counted as prisoners in the system (and it's a lot cheaper to house them in the camps than in the main prisons) but I wonder what the hang up is.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Bravo for extreme liberalism.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California inmates: Supreme Court orders California to release inmates - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/sc-dc-0524-court-prisons-web-20110523,0,2337401.story - broken link)

Release them to Washington DC I say. Its easy for judges 3,000 miles away to disregard the public safety of Californians so why not give them a taste of their own medicine?

Put them on planes, trains and buses and send them to the steps of the Supreme Court to live there.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Awe for the good ole days!

Whats wrong libbies, getting a bad taste in your mouths?

We can set up tent camps in Marin County if you like to ease the over crowding. That ought to help out the integration and diversity issues just uncovered recently with that county.

We can run chain gangs up and down Sir Francis Drake Blvd to keep it clean and weed free.

The irony is so thick you can cut it with a dull butter knife.

YouTube - ‪Cool Hand Luke "Failure To Communicate."‬‏

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-23-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
What is all this nonsense about blaming liberals? I'm a liberal and I don't agree with this. There has to have been a way to have justified holding prisoners over capacity in the interest of the safety of the public.

I thought many CA convicts were held in AZ prisons which caused job growth in AZ. Win-win situation. If not AZ then surely there are states that would have taken these prisoners in the interest of job growth.

There had to have been a better way..

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
What's 30-40,000 more on the street? They'll hardly be noticed.

It's been a long time coming and the Legislature has sat on it's thumbs. I propose all their garages, pool houses and tool sheds be turned into housing for them!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
What is all this nonsense about blaming liberals? I'm a liberal and I don't agree with this. There has to have been a way to have justified holding prisoners over capacity in the interest of the safety of the public.

I thought many CA convicts were held in AZ prisons which caused job growth in AZ. Win-win situation. If not AZ then surely there are states that would have taken these prisoners in the interest of job growth.

There had to have been a better way..
The liberals wanted to give them five star treatment or freedom. There was no better way.. They could ofc have sliced the costs per prisoner in 1/2 and used the extra money to fund a new prison .. but they didn't. I've got a .45 so I'll sleep just fine at night ....

This and other happenings go to mark the decline of this state .... Lack of focused priority.. due to Liberalism (lets do it all and create a utopia and miss the mark at everything) and taxation to go along w/ it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California