Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 19,261 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Long time lurker and first time poster here... I am a twenty-something and looking for advice on what the town of Jamestown is like... What is there to do and what are some statistics? I have a job opportunity there and from the looks of the information I have gathered, it seems to me that there is no life there. lol

So now I need actual people who know about the surrounding areas to weight in their opinions... Please advice me which parts of town is best suited to live in, what to do, some statistics, average prices for a 1bed apartment, and places of interest... Thanks again for your advice!

**A little about me, I live in a small town in NorCal and I have always wanted to move to a bigger city with a lot of diverse, younger, cosmopolitan crowd mixed in, in which cost of living is slightly cheaper than typical big cities like SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csucollegian View Post
,,,A little about me, I live in a small town in NorCal and I have always wanted to move to a bigger city with a lot of diverse, younger, cosmopolitan crowd mixed in, in which cost of living is slightly cheaper than typical big cities like SF.
Jamestown, Sonora and all of Tuolumne county is nowhere like anyone would call a "bigger city".

Most youth leave for greener pastures as there is no work or things to do.
The area is based on lumber and tourism. Rich in folk music.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
What Ferretkona said.My sister and BIL live in Sonora and he has to commute to the Bay Area (yes!) for work because they can't sell their house. Sonora is not that big but because it's a regional shopping/business center the traffic in mornings and evenings is AWFUL. IF you could be more explicit about how big a town you want to live in, that would help.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
We were living in Jamestown, I had to drive to Clovis for work. 120 miles each way. With todays gas prices it is not productive.
Jamestown has a population of about 800, Sonora has 2000.
There has been a lot of construction of late building McMansions. So the numbers are off a bit I am sure.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Gold Country is heavily dependent on tourism, so there's more to do than you might think based on size... Unfortunately, it's all things that tourists do. Eat, drink, shop (nick nacks and crafts). Good amount of live music and some small theater companies. There's some wineries and ranches that are interesting to visit. Tons of outdoor activities, hiking, mountain biking, lakes, horseback riding, pretend gold mining. Close to the Dodge Ridge and Bear Valley ski resorts.

But yeah, it's pretty quite and caters to an older and more family friendly crowd than a diverse cosmopolitan young one.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 19,261 times
Quote:
Most youth leave for greener pastures as there is no work or things to do.
That is what I assumed. I live in a similar city north of Sacramento where there is not much to do either, other than farming. lol

Quote:
IF you could be more explicit about how big a town you want to live in, that would help.
Right now, I am weighing my options. I really want to live somewhere that is commutable to SF or closer to the bay area that is also cheap, as I am still a fairly new college grad with entry level income. I was planning on living somewhere in the middle between SF and Jamestown. Perhaps, are there any cities in between that are decent and affordable?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Not really. There's Stockton, Modesto, and Tracy. But they aren't that nice and are an hour plus from both Jamestown and the Bay Area. Is this job going to pay enough to make a 50-60 mile commute worth while?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM

26 posts, read 156,487 times
Oops, sorry for the delete, I should have simply edited.

I'm familiar with the area, we have friends there. It's not big-city at all... and not near a big city, unless you consider Modesto big. It's about 2 1/2 hours from San Fran, and I know that some people do commute that far for work (eek). It's beautiful, but it's not a good place for a young person who loves city life. There's not even a Target.

Last edited by KayElleCee; 11-07-2013 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 11-07-2013, 05:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayElleCee View Post
Oops, sorry for the delete, I should have simply edited.

I'm familiar with the area, we have friends there. It's not big-city at all... and not near a big city, unless you consider Modesto big. It's about 2 1/2 hours from San Fran, and I know that some people do commute that far for work (eek). It's beautiful, but it's not a good place for a young person who loves city life. There's not even a Target.
Pretty funny! My wife broke her leg recently and we've had to go to the big city of Sonora a couple of times in the past month. I think Target is just about the only big box store that the area doesn't have!

But I also remember back in the early 70's when there was only one traffic light in Sonora too! Seems like there's 50 of them now.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,502 times
There has been a lot of construction of late building McMansions.http://www.qmyksawayaa.com/06.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California