Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
How many high school grads of California citizens actually go to UC schools these days. Most gave up on the UC system because of situations like this and send their kids to out of state schools like in Arizona and Texas. Take a walk on a UC campus and you would be shocked at all the foreign students. This boils down to the taxpayers subsidizing the UC system.
I can't count the BS in this post...if anyone "gave up" on UC it's because they didn't have the grades. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm glad you can laugh. Guess the only thing one can do is laugh. Another horrible example of how we treat legal citizens. I went through something similar myself.
I was surprised that they actually required my high school transcript (the idiot at the front desk told me she needed my diploma, until I asked for her supervisor) for the AB540. CCSF had no such requirements. I was so frustrated by the terrible administration at Laney that I almost thought, "**** it, I'll commute to CCSF just so I can avoid dealing with this nonsense."

Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
rather than subsidizing tuition i think the state should go another direction. if you are an illegal immigrant and are accepted into a UC or CSU, you should not qualify for subsidized tuition initiallly. however, offering loans to non-citizens (who attended CA high schools) with a caveat that loan principal will be knocked down retroactively to in-state rates and a green card be easily attained upon graduation and obtaining a job in CA would be a much better idea. this way only motivated students who will increase the tax base and educated population in our state receive the benefit. dropouts and those who get jobs in other states will not get the loan reduction.

we need to come up with out of the box ideas that can appease both sides of the aisle.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 PM

109 posts, read 204,725 times
This is too perfect. First time around they enticed these folks to help pump up the housing market. Now that housing has run it's present course, use them to help pump up the next financial bubble--education.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Yep Don9 .. I had been following this as well.. Further confirms what I projected to be the direction of this state. Reaffirms and makes me feel even better about hitting the exit. I was surprised to see texas even has a book law to allow the same privilege to illegal immigrants. Glad I am skipping there too after careful research .
and it is things like this that prevented us from returning after spending 7 years in No Va. Things were not as bad then, but the printing was on the wall.

Nita

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
California, Here We Come on Vimeo

Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
rather than subsidizing tuition i think the state should go another direction. if you are an illegal immigrant and are accepted into a UC or CSU, you should not qualify for subsidized tuition initiallly. however, offering loans to non-citizens (who attended CA high schools) with a caveat that loan principal will be knocked down retroactively to in-state rates and a green card be easily attained upon graduation and obtaining a job in CA would be a much better idea. this way only motivated students who will increase the tax base and educated population in our state receive the benefit. dropouts and those who get jobs in other states will not get the loan reduction.

we need to come up with out of the box ideas that can appease both sides of the aisle.
Your idea is a good one, but, the idea is not to appease, the idea is to address existing problems, that the anti illegal immigrants never have an answer too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
This is too perfect. First time around they enticed these folks to help pump up the housing market. Now that housing has run it's present course, use them to help pump up the next financial bubble--education.

Your remarks are total nonsense, how is a minimum wage or near minimum wage employee going to afford a house?

it seems transparently obvious that an educated population is better for the nation than an uneducated population (yeah I know, that would make the Republican party extinct)

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 AM

190 posts, read 242,371 times
Illegal people should pay the same as everyone else..if they give to the illegals then what the people who live should get the same break

Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
[quote=.highnlite;19498655]how is a minimum wage or near minimum wage employee going to afford a house?/QUOTE]

They couldn't, but that didn't stop the banks from giving them mortgages around 2005, contributing to the bubble. No money down! No income verification! No SSN required! No credit required!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
Illegal people should pay the same as everyone else..if they give to the illegals then what the people who live should get the same break
If they are illegal ... they should not be allowed to attend a UC school. They should be deported after serving time for their crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California