Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Huh? You must be kidding.
Well, they're working on it at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Cause a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run
Cuz we're them old boys raised on shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We’re from North California and south Alabam
And little towns all around this land
And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive
Ole Hank, he shor warn't talking about the Bay Area, or Sacramento.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,364 times
Default Santa Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If weather were the only reason for a place to boom, Santa Maria would have 20,000,000 people.
Is even considered pretty large, ( I went to high school there-in the early 60's)- but I cannot recognize the town anymore. But the central coast has no airline service which keeps that area small.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Thank God for Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes compare the completely flat, easy to build Florida coast to the rugged Ca coast where most of it is impossible to develop on. Even if you could get past all of the anti-development regulations along the coast, much of it simply cannot be built on because it's too steep. And much of the CA coast's weather isn't exactly appealing to many considering how foggy and cool a lot of it is. CA's coast in 100 years won't look that drastically different imo, too much of it is protected and undevelopable. It will never resemble the Florida coast.

What a tragedy it would be if that gorgous Northern Coast could ever get developed. There are enough hippies and hippie babies and grandbabies to make sure it never happens.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Huh? You must be kidding.
My kids live in Roseville as you probably know, a suburb of Sact. When I lived there in the mid 70's to late 80's, it was still a sleepy suburb and no one wanted to go that far out. Now it is one housing development after another, it runs from the downtown Sacto rivers all the way to Loomis (where they had a no growth policy and luckily stuck to it all this time), but Rocklin is even overbuilt and still building up to Placerville.

We used to take Hwy 5 to livermore to get to Pleasanton San Ramon area. It is a nightmare to drive that area now. What used to be a l.5 hrs from Roseville is now over 3. It now takes 5-7 hrs. to go from the suburbs of Pleasanton up to tahoe, that used to be a 2.5 hr. trip on a bad day. Calif. is all built out except those areas that can't be built on, or people are smart enough to have stopped growth and vote for the people that also want to keep it that way. It is ridiculous expensive as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Default Jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
One word: Jobs.

Thats what overpopulated Calif. North and south! High tech, shipping, farming, Hollywood, Calif had ALL the good jobs of the country, as well as the most wonderful state, until the end of the 90's.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Default Us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes and people who live in the Bay Area consider themselves Northern Californians. Always have during my lifetime at least.
5th generation Calif, plus myself 1st generation but born in 1945 so long time Northern Calif, living in "the bay area..Alameda/Oakland/San Francisco, San Leandro for the 1st 20. We considered it northern ca. southern Ca...was LA and we considered and still do consider it a seperate state we are just stuck with cause its attached!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Default No Calif...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
No it is not. It is in North Central California. It is 300 miles to the Oregon border, an area of thousands of square miles and larger than many states. Until you are here one is not in Northern California.
www.jeffersonbackroads.com/state_of_jefferson_map.pdf

Is considered Big Sur up to the top of the state! Big Sur to Santa Maria/Lompoc/Santa Barbara/Vandenberg central. Then lots of empty space and then Southern Calif...meaning LA to San Diego and to the border. If the jefferson backroads call it North Central, then they just "chose" to call it that probably because of actual mileage, but those that are native Californias do not. They ALL consder Bay area as Northern Cali

Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Is even considered pretty large, ( I went to high school there-in the early 60's)- but I cannot recognize the town anymore. But the central coast has no airline service which keeps that area small.
Sure it does, United and Sky West fly out of the area.

Quote:
My kids live in Roseville as you probably know, a suburb of Sact. When I lived there in the mid 70's to late 80's, it was still a sleepy suburb and no one wanted to go that far out. Now it is one housing development after another, it runs from the downtown Sacto rivers all the way to Loomis (where they had a no growth policy and luckily stuck to it all this time), but Rocklin is even overbuilt and still building up to Placerville.

We used to take Hwy 5 to livermore to get to Pleasanton San Ramon area. It is a nightmare to drive that area now. What used to be a l.5 hrs from Roseville is now over 3. It now takes 5-7 hrs. to go from the suburbs of Pleasanton up to tahoe, that used to be a 2.5 hr. trip on a bad day. Calif. is all built out except those areas that can't be built on, or people are smart enough to have stopped growth and vote for the people that also want to keep it that way. It is ridiculous expensive as well.
Hardly North California

Quote:
Is considered Big Sur up to the top of the state! Big Sur to Santa Maria/Lompoc/Santa Barbara/Vandenberg central. Then lots of empty space and then Southern Calif...meaning LA to San Diego and to the border. If the jefferson backroads call it North Central, then they just "chose" to call it that probably because of actual mileage, but those that are native Californias do not. They ALL consder Bay area as Northern Cali
This is a strange post, it is constructed in such a manner that it is hard to figure out what was being said.

Big Sur refers to the mountainous coast from Monterey to San Simeon, that is it.

Lord knows where that "empty space" south of Santa Barbara is.

Lord knows what a "jefferson backroads" is.

Lord knows what a "native Californias" is.

Anyone who says "ALL" about any subject under the sun is likely to be wrong.

It is important to note the distinction between the geographical split, where half of CA is Southern California and half of CA is northern California, and North California, which is a distinctive region and less than half the state.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
I'd say the airline service is limited because its small, not the other way around. It definitely has grown a lot in the nearly 20 years I've been going up there but its still pretty small and isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California